Viz Manga (Anglosphere Only)

Dex-chan lover
block, force people to read at their site yet not available to everyone

Dex-chan lover
So you guys gonna half finish series and drop them as soon as you decide they aren't a big enough money printer like Pokemon or whatever like you did for a decade straight? Or are you going to churn out dogshit MTL and only make it available digitally and region locked?

I'm so excited to see how you fuck up this time!

edit: hahahahaah they're trying to get people to pay for <1200px scans!

FMvnArR.png

Last edited:
What does "Anglosphere" even mean?!?!
As far as "people speaking English", this is like... Earth-size. There will be people speaking every language in the world, at any location in the world, at any given time. French-speaking in Norway, English-speaking in Madagascar, Spanish-speaking in Indonesia... Is that so hard to understand?!? Who decides to what point the "sphere" expands to???
You region-blocking people on the WORLD-WIDE-WEB, is despicable.
Stop ruining everyone's experience for your own short-lived benefits.

Dex-chan lover
I am all for having entries showing scanlators like this having translated chapters even though they keep it externally on their own site, since that means it will be easily seen that chapter gaps are not actual gaps (so you know that you should head to the external link, or even another aggregator if you prefer their ui-layout to the external link's), and the like.

But I hate it when you do things like this where you fill the entire feed with super-spam like this. 170+ chapters just today, mostly centered around this hour... and increasing!? I'll admit I added you to my blacklist because of that, just to get the feed to be useable again.
If you are uploading a huge backlog library like this, you should either do it piece-meal at a time, or see if you could contact md staff to get them to add a flag in the /chapters route's result's that the frontend then filters out (or the frontend's query even includes as a filter so it doesn't have to then filter it out!).

And worse, you apparently only got 1-3 chapters translated per title? Most of them being ch1-3, but many jsut being randomly 3 chapters late in the manga, like 128-130 or such. So in many cases it's entirely redundant, others it seems like an attempt at sniping, and some it's probably an eternal delay as noone will ever fill in the gap until your chapters?
Honest feedback would be to maybe not have so many titles, if it means you only have 3 chapters each.

Dex-chan lover
FWIW, this is an official publisher--not a scanlator--and they have every (licensed) right to publish as they will. The feed spam is from MD staff (well, a bot) scraping and adding them.

These outgoing links are an initiative by MangaDex

I agree that they really need to consider spacing these out by days rather than minutes so I don't need to scroll back twenty pages to see stuff from this morning, but that's a complaint for the Support subforum, not the publisher.

Dex-chan lover
FWIW, this is an official publisher--not a scanlator--
Thanks for the info, I already suspected they were official though.
ps: you do know that even most official publishers need to scanlate if they want something that isn't in the original language? The mangaka/publisher they are licensing from is not translating it for them. So they are still a scanlator. (although there might exist exceptions, where the publisher licenses a pre-translated version. Fairly sure this one is not doing that though)
and they have every (licensed) right to publish as they will.
I never said they didn't have any right to publish as they will on their own site (though even there I suspect their own users would be annoyed if they filled their own latest-update feed with old chapters).

I were saying that it's bad form to spam a feed.
And I were giving some honest feedback that anyone is stretching too widely if they have over 50 titles but only 3 chapters each before they drop it (as in, there won't be readers interested in picking up any of those reads if they only get a teaser).
The feed spam is from MD staff (well, a bot) scraping and adding them.
That doesn't make it any less of a bad form and nuisance. It only changes who is the recipient that needed to hear that part of the feedback. Either way, this groups thread should reach them?

Though it does give me hope that the front-end will eventually be modified to allow for filtering out external-link spam from such bots :)
I agree that they really need to consider spacing these out by days rather than minutes so I don't need to scroll back twenty pages to see stuff from this morning, but that's a complaint for the Support subforum, not the publisher.
I figure it is a complaint that fits whoever controls this scanlation-group-account, as in every case that will be the individual that spammed the feed.

ps: I am using a custom userscript that at least removes the need to page through stuff like that (only need to scroll). It's honestly really nice and I would highly recommend you write one too :)
(and I think updating my script to create a detection for external links and moving them into a dedicated tab out of the main one, is shooting up high on my todo-list after today :d)

Dex-chan lover
And worse, you apparently only got 1-3 chapters translated per title? Most of them being ch1-3, but many jsut being randomly 3 chapters late in the manga, like 128-130 or such. So in many cases it's entirely redundant, others it seems like an attempt at sniping, and some it's probably an eternal delay as noone will ever fill in the gap until your chapters?
Honest feedback would be to maybe not have so many titles, if it means you only have 3 chapters each.
Those are just the free chapters.

Dex-chan lover
Those are just the free chapters.
Oh. Then I should rather say I wish they add the non-free chapters too, I guess (and make it clear they aren't free somehow. A flag in the DB? Or actually write it out in the chapter-title?).

Ideally I want a repo for all chapters for all mangas (where they have entries even if it is external - much like novelupdates is for chapters for novels - and even if they are behind a paywall (though flagged as such) - which novelupdates doesn't do).
And ideally (because they are the closest to being there) that repo would be MD :glee:

Dex-chan lover
Also snip
I'm just going to point back to the answers raised during the first scrape of J-Novel Club (more directly answered here, too). These two scenarios are almost identical.

I suspect staff would say to post about the scrape spam (and potential fixes) in the support suggestions forum even if they were to respond to this thread (which is unlikely; they tend not to post here unless there's a direct report). That is the most effective way to ensure that site improvements can be properly vetted and discussed, after all. I'd be happy to see a reasonable fix like some of your suggestions implemented sitewide, noting that MD devs seem to have their own priorities that occasionally overlap with that of the readers :lul::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread