War's Unwomanly Face - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Dex-chan lover
Huh, that wasn't nearly as depressing as I expected. I would dare to say that the ending was uplifting even. That is, if I hadn't been aware of the tragic stuff in the other chapters.

war is hell, and women are more suffering than men. Stalingrad Battledata channel created excellent videos telling the women's hardships during and after the war (women veteran after the war were often discriminated). this is not advertisement, just a recommendation if you want to know more women's role in the German-Soviet War. sadly i still not read Svetlana's book

Dex-chan lover
Making me think of the WASPs on the US side. They were service pilots, freed up men for the draft, and were treated like shit before and after. Apparently sugar was found in an engine at one crash site—the men working at Camp Davis had sabatoged the plane, but it could not be proven for certain. They were also given ill maintained planes and the wrong octane fuel for their planes at that camp.

It wasn't until 1977 that these women were given veteran status for their work. I can't imagine the Soviet women ever even got recognized at all.

Dex-chan lover
I didn't expect to see the name of Marina Raskova again on this page. It's a welcome surprise for such a great woman.

Dex-chan lover
@dreminh: "few", you mean aside from more than doubling life expectancy, eliminitating reoccuring famines, raising literacy to 99%, industrualizing the whole nation, becoming the first spacefaring nation, reducing mortality rates in the sibirian work camps from 30-40% per year under the Czar to on average a bit higher than US prisons at the same time, opening up education to everyone (sadly, this resulted in Ayn Rand getting a university education), rebuilding from WW1 and the civil war. And of course defeating the Axis in WW2, holding the line alone for years after Dunkirk, being responsible for 80% of all Axis casualties.
All while literally all capitalist nations were out to get them, only stopping for a bit during WW2.

Yes, very "few" things.

@Maru 'give birth' is the future tense, so

'Once you give birth on Oct 31 (due date), you'll blah blah' or 'Once your water breaks, you are about to give birth.' - future

'You need to go. Your wife is up at the hospital giving birth.' - present participle

'She gave birth on Nov 1. A little later than expected, but she's fine' - past

In that panel, it would be speaking about the past, so 'gave'

Also, you're flying through these translations. Keep up the good work :)

@sunshinelemons
Something to keep in mind about the original book is that Alexievich struggled to get this work published. Soviet editors and publishers argued that the work was contrary to the established narrative of the Great Patriotic War. At the time, the narrative, and even the literature available in the USSR, focused on the “great deeds of the Red Army”, emphasizing the “big picture” of the war such as strategy and great battles. In cases where focus would be placed on the individual, It was to the the generals, the extolling of heroic acts committed, but never the lived experience of the common soldier, which was seen as filthy and otherwise “unheroic”.

From Alexievich’s experience, male vets would adhere to the popular narrative throughout the interview, but it was women that would open up about the lived experience on the front, and the emotions that they felt at the time.At some point in the book Svetlana even interviews a couple where husband and wife both served in the Red Army during the War, and there is a demonstrable contrast on the oral narratives provided.

Power Uploader
@Maru_chan
Typo on page 12: "We were cut our hair..." >> "We cut our hair..."
Typo on page 20: "... the germans planes." >> "... the german's planes."
Also, does it truly ends at page 22 or there was more?

Users who are viewing this thread