Warui ga Watashi wa Yuri ja nai - Vol. 2 Ch. 10.5 - Volume 2 Extras

Dex-chan lover
As a member of the queer community, I appreciate the warning, by the way. This could be taken as low key transphobic, but I think it's possible to give this a generous reading of being exploratory and experimenting with sexuality. It didn't bother me, and was a pretty fun read.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly dont think that was all that transphobic, but I think its nice to have that warning for those who might see things differently.

I actually really like how we technically dont know at the end too, for either. Makes it really cute.

Though I'll HC them both male for now just to spice things up a little with all the yuri. Not that it really matters whatever way though since even the characters make it clear it doesnt matter.

Group Leader
As a member of the queer community, I appreciate the warning, by the way. This could be taken as low key transphobic, but I think it's possible to give this a generous reading of being exploratory and experimenting with sexuality. It didn't bother me, and was a pretty fun read.
Honestly dont think that was all that transphobic, but I think its nice to have that warning for those who might see things differently.

I actually really like how we technically dont know at the end too, for either. Makes it really cute.

Though I'll HC them both male just to spice things up a little with all the yuri.

It didn't bother me either, as another queer individual. However, I felt it was worth making a warning page for it since I really couldn't avoid using some un-great language if I wanted to keep the translation faithful (i.e. conflating gender and genitalia, someone being either a man or a woman with no other options, etc). I figured that there's probably some people out there who might want to avoid subjecting themselves to the microaggression of denying that nonbinary people exist, so best to just be up front about it.

Dex-chan lover
Screenshot_20240308_221116_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240308_221116_Chrome.jpg

(Edit: Image broke, or maybe it didn't?)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
like others have already said i appreciate the warning, but this was actually pretty 'positive' imo, it's never made clear what either character's gender is and like they say themselves it doesn't really matter
Yeah, not sure if it was the translation or the original, but the biggest issue was really the "what's in your pants?" part, and it felt like in the end both of them decided/realised that it didn't matter . . .

Edit: realised afterwards that this is badly phrased - the issue is conflating "what's in your pants" with "boy or girl", but in the end they both seemed to have come to the conclusion that neither "boy or girl" /or/ "what's in your pants" mattered.

Of course, "boy or girl" is also an issue, as it ignores all the non-binaries and complexities, but I tend to see that as more a matter of language constraints than anything else, when it's not coupled with other things (particularly in translations) - not many languages are set up such that they make it natural to avoid that gender dichotomy (definitely not English, and I don't think Japanese either) . . .

Last edited:
Group Leader
Yeah, not sure if it was the translation or the original, but the biggest issue was really the "what's in your pants?" part, and it felt like in the end both of them decided/realised that it didn't matter . . .
The raws at that part say ズボン説がすまでまさかこっちだとは思わなかったし which in a literal sense translates to something like "Until I searched your pants, I didn't think it'd be like this".

Dex-chan lover
Entire situation with the warning makes me scared shitless. Because if I can't even tell how this could remotely be considered offensive, then I have probably offended a lot of people already. : ((((

Could someone point out to me the ins and outs of the problem here? I don't want to be that old dinosaur who is incapable of even knowing what could be harmful in the first place. 🙄

P.S. Outstanding TL, this was a fun read. The quality of the scans is great. Are you folks planning to pick up where the last group left off or has there been any contact at all?

Dex-chan lover
The raws at that part say ズボン説がすまでまさかこっちだとは思わなかったし which in a literal sense translates to something like "Until I searched your pants, I didn't think it'd be like this".
Not sure how I'd try and translate that . . .

But wouldn't the self-references give hints at gender (i.e. ore/watashi/etc)? You used "they" with the actual dialogue, but there was plenty of "I" used in the internal monologues, not sure how that played into the broader approach to translating it all . . . Of course, I'm probably just not understanding the subtleties available in Japanese, so . . .

Group Leader
Entire situation with the warning makes me scared shitless. Because if I can't even tell how this could remotely be considered offensive, then I have probably offended a lot of people already. : ((((

Could someone point out to me the ins and outs of the problem here? I don't want to be that old dinosaur who is incapable of even knowing what could be harmful in the first place. 🙄

P.S. Outstanding TL, this was a fun read. The quality of the scans is great. Are you folks planning to pick up where the last group left off or has there been any contact at all?
The reason I felt it was necessary to put the warning is because of the words the author used and how the main character acts. The MC saw someone that they couldn't reasonably assume the gender of, and the first thing they did was ask "Are you a man? Are you a woman?" - This completely disregards any gender that is not in the traditional gender binary (male or female), and disregarding all of those identities could classify as a "microaggression" against nonbinary people (i.e. casually, without thought, telling them they don't exist). This is the basis of what I referred to as "low-grade transphobia" - it wasn't an outright, direct attack on NB/trans people, but it is assuming they don't exist.

Furthermore, the MC also seems to have a fixation on "figuring out" the gender (read: genitalia) of Ogi, which isn't fantastic. If you're ever in a situation where someone is not conforming to your understanding of gender roles and you don't know how to address them, just ask them, preferably in private, what pronouns you should use when referring to them. Once you know, thank them for telling you, and then move on.

As for if I am picking up this series, I have bought all 5 volumes currently available, and chapter 30 is the last chapter in that volume. So I'm also (im)patiently waiting for new content. I will say that volumes 3-5 did not come with bonus chapters, so don't expect those.

Group Leader
Not sure how I'd try and translate that . . .

But wouldn't the self-references give hints at gender (i.e. ore/watashi/etc)? You used "they" with the actual dialogue, but there was plenty of "I" used in the internal monologues, not sure how that played into the broader approach to translating it all . . . Of course, I'm probably just not understanding the subtleties available in Japanese, so . . .
Ogi used boku as their first person pronoun, which is typically masculine, and IIRC Kanetani didn't use a first person pronoun the whole time. For what its worth, it's not really that uncommon to see cisgender women use boku these days, especially if they are particularly sporty or "tomboy"-ish.

I avoided using explicitly gendered terms because that's what the author did.

Users who are viewing this thread