Watari-kun no ×× ga Houkai Sunzen

Dex-chan lover
I remember this being a strange and tense take on the typical romcom, where every girl gave massive yandere flags and you wondered if the MC would end up disemboweled in the end.

How did it turn into such a sack of absolutely nothing?

Last edited:
I remember this being a strange and tense take on the typical romcom, where every girl gave massive yandere flags and you wondered if the MC would end up disemboweled in the time.

Yeah I was expecting something not generic with the first few chapters and now its devolved into something so generic. Kinda sad ngl I wouldnt say I was expecting boys abyss type insane but I was expecting something. Rip ig.

Banned
I dropped this at around chapter 30, did I miss much? I remember «the mom» becoming more relevant in the story but everything reeked of forced drama, I reckon it remained that way, right?

Contributor
It's great to see what most wanted to happen finally is here now.

Sadly, this manga lost a lot of hype and viewers because of all the fillers just after the beach arc, and
this ""try-out relationship"" with F-cup who was dommed from the start + the kouhai girl who was only useful for one thing.

Such a shame. Maybe the story will be better if i read it again from the start now, and just read fast or skip the fillers.

Aggregator gang
well... what a shitty ending man... i can't believe how this series started like a very tense/drama romcom, and ended in such a cliche and boring ending

i really enjoyed the little yandere moments but oh man, the author really killed the hype on this one

In my opinion, this is one of the best manga that is able to show how Japanese dramas are different and much more inspiring than other dramas, not simply drama-for-the-sake-of-drama type of thing. Characters struggle to make a decision amid complex relationships, but it’s because each character never takes anything for granted, values his/her choice to great extent and wants to see the best version of not just himself/herself but others as well. And what makes me feel fulfilled the most is how they have grown as people trying their best to reconcile with the past, present and future, as well as with other characters throughout the story. A 10 in my book.

I dropped this at around chapter 30, did I miss much? I remember «the mom» becoming more relevant in the story but everything reeked of forced drama, I reckon it remained that way, right?
Pretty much. Hell, not even since the mother only lasted for a couple of chapters. Its rare to see so many yandere eyes lead to nothing.

At least some authors make the characters self aware enough to notice the drama is forced and the misunderstandings are contrived in order to establish regret and build the relations and character development around it. This ones? They just stumble through life realizing their latest round misunderstandings while learning nothing from it, not changing course and doubling down on next drama.

Came across as something the author was concerned it could be axed at any point so he never allowed himself to be more than 2 chapters away from an ending.

Dex-chan lover
If you plan on reading it for the yandere aspect of it, then drop it right now, it literally became a generic basic drama romcom.

Double-page supporter
reading the comments of Watari-kun no ×× ga Houkai Sunzen reveal that too many people keep reading it like its some sort of generic ecchi romance with an unsettling tone. They dismiss the clearly intentional characterization, psychological exploration, and visual story telling as mere quirks of the author's style. I wouldn't go as far as to say its a deconstruction of any sort of genre, just that this story is clearly deliberately thought out and that the author has something to say about teenage relationships and how they can take a toll on the psyche of the individuals involved. going so far as to, with the most recent chapter, explore the emotional and psychological toll the relationship of the main character is having on him.
I'm going to destroy this author if its the last thing I do.

Double-page supporter
I remember this being a strange and tense take on the typical romcom, where every girl gave massive yandere flags and you wondered if the MC would end up disemboweled in the end.

And the replies to the final chapter acting as if that ending wasn't an absolute trash fire. Did they forget how good we had it in the yandere arcs?

Double-page supporter
In my opinion, this is one of the best manga that is able to show how Japanese dramas are different and much more inspiring than other dramas, not simply drama-for-the-sake-of-drama type of thing. Characters struggle to make a decision amid complex relationships, but it’s because each character never takes anything for granted, values his/her choice to great extent and wants to see the best version of not just himself/herself but others as well. And what makes me feel fulfilled the most is how they have grown as people trying their best to reconcile with the past, present and future, as well as with other characters throughout the story. A 10 in my book.
No this is just terrible writing. If the story actually respected these things as you say it does, then it should realized that Satsuki's poisoning of the well that is Watari's and Ishihara's relationship was manipulative. Instead we got nothing out of it. Just a generic nothing ending where everything compelling about this story was thrown in the garbage because the author didn't have the balls to poke the character brains further.

Users who are viewing this thread