Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! - Vol. 14 Ch. 69 - In Order to Be Sisters

Dex-chan lover
So Sumika one sidedly likes Kanoko, who one sidedly likes Hime, who is one sidedly liked by Yano. All while none of them can do anything about it...
Something has to give at some point and at this rate I think the next logical step is a Kanoko confession which will be messy. At least for Hime, time to finally deal with her hang ups.

Emotionally mature Kanoko is still a surprise to me even though the past 20 chapters have been building up to her getting here.

Dex-chan lover
I'm glad both Nene and Kanoko are both telling Sumika it's okay to be a little selfish with love. Trying to act in the best interests of someone else while denying her own interests has been slowly destroying her.

This chapter gives me the impression Kanoko is well into moving on from her own feelings for Hime. Kanoko explicitly mentions that Sumika helped her reject Goeidou's insistence that romance is only physical, but she's still offering to kiss Sumika, which makes me think that there's an emerging emotional component to her feelings. There's also Kanoko's awkward silence after Sumika mentions that she'll keep loving until "her feelings naturally fade". At this point she's attuned to and trying to reciprocate Sumika's feelings, and even if she's not quite ready to call it love, I think she's getting there. The last few chapters even seem to hint that her continued plans to confess to Hime are more out of trying to conform to Sumika's expectations than her own wishes.

Can't wait to see where this goes

There’s an interesting line here, and I’m not sure how much is down to a complicated translation and how much is brewing drama: Kanoko says that Yoko “forced [her] to accept that ‘kissing and sex are essential to romance.’”

The thing is, this is almost exactly the opposite of Yoko’s point. Yoko wasn’t arguing that romance needs kissing, she was arguing that kissing needs romance, that the act of kissing is meaningful in a way Kanoko kept trying to deny. Yano kisses Hime and now Kanoko’s upset because that kiss meant something. Yoko kisses Kanoko and Kanoko’s upset because she’s lost something, because that kiss was a violation. The stated purpose of Yoko’s whole awful scheme was to get Kanoko to admit that kissing and sex, in themselves, carry emotional weight.

So Kanoko says “Gosh, Yoko was awful but I sure learned something!” but then, only a few pages later, she offers to kiss Sumika and Sumika has to be the one to turn her down. It’s interesting, is what I’m saying.

Dex-chan lover
This chapter was a bit hard to follow and felt kinda convoluted. Like I get Sumika has learned it's ok to be selfish with her love, but I don't really understand Kanoko's whole "protecting her love" thinking. And the whole offering kisses once in a while just feels a lot like leading on Sumika lol. Maybe it'll make more sense after a re-read when I'm not as tired.

Regardless it's nice to see the two of them finally get their shit together and on the same page for once.

Dex-chan lover
This story arc has already lasted longer than most of my irl relationships (and I'm still not sure it's finished!), which puts things into perspective and also scares me on an existential level.

I swear I'm only staying subscribed to this manga's updates to deepen my understanding of just how much you can stretch the same smidgen of content until it stops making ANY sense.

Dex-chan lover
Do ppl not realize this only solidifies the fact that Kanoko is a piece of shit?
i will had agree with you on that if not for the fact that now i understand way Kanoko did what she did! she is incompetent at what this whole romance thingy so much that this drama is a ugly mess, so she ain’t an piece of shit cuz she didn’t do this out of malice but PURE ignorance and inexperience with romantic feelings

Aggregator gang
What's with this conclusion?
They just back to the start(Fake Girlfriend).
Right? This whole arc has basically come full circle. Kanoko clearly hasn't learned anything and she continues to act at Sumika's expense. This arc has been the biggest waste of time in the series and I'm thankful that next chapter is (supposedly) its curtain call.

All this Arc has proven to me is that Kanoko is fundamentally flawed in writing as a character, as she has basically gone nowhere as a character in either arc. Compare to almost every other main character, and their storylines have gone somewhere, including Sumika.

It's very clear that this Arc should not have been dragged out for this long. Especially since we've spent more time in this Manga as a whole focusing on Kanoko going nowhere with herself than we've spent getting to see Yano and Hime's much more lovable and bittersweet storyline.

Long story short, fuck Kanoko, she has actually hurt my enjoyment of this series.

Dex-chan lover
x
There’s an interesting line here, and I’m not sure how much is down to a complicated translation and how much is brewing drama: Kanoko says that Yoko “forced [her] to accept that ‘kissing and sex are essential to romance.’”

The thing is, this is almost exactly the opposite of Yoko’s point. Yoko wasn’t arguing that romance needs kissing, she was arguing that kissing needs romance, that the act of kissing is meaningful in a way Kanoko kept trying to deny. Yano kisses Hime and now Kanoko’s upset because that kiss meant something. Yoko kisses Kanoko and Kanoko’s upset because she’s lost something, because that kiss was a violation. The stated purpose of Yoko’s whole awful scheme was to get Kanoko to admit that kissing and sex, in themselves, carry emotional weight.

So Kanoko says “Gosh, Yoko was awful but I sure learned something!” but then, only a few pages later, she offers to kiss Sumika and Sumika has to be the one to turn her down. It’s interesting, is what I’m saying.

To me, this is another signal that Goeidou's assault went much further than Kanoko is willing to admit to others. She's is willing to admit that kissing and sex could be romantic acts, but if she were to believe Goeidou's insistence that kissing or sex are inherently romantically meaningful, she's faced with the idea that Goeidou's deeply traumatizing actions were themselves romantically meaningful. I think Kanoko is trying to reframe all of this in a way that retroactively gives her more control over that situation. She can admit that kissing or sex are romantically important (allowing her to receive/protect Sumika's feelings), but not that the acts themselves have romantic meaning (allowing her to reject the way Goeidou violated her).

Dex-chan lover
The ride that never ends...

Story of my life.

Nah but fr, Kanoko is trying to go for the middle ground in love, which is just... no. Make it one or the other, damn.

She is just leading Tachibana on at this point, when a clear answer would make more sense here. Kanoko loved Hime, thats been made clear, Day 1, yet she still cannot find it in herself to admit to said feelings? After all these chapters? What are we doing here 😭

I hear we are nearing the actual end of this arc, so I truly do wonder how the next one will save this dumpster fire...

Users who are viewing this thread