Watashitachi wa Moto Joshi desu - Vol. 2 Ch. 8

Power Uploader
Several forms of intersexuality create people who look like futas. Klinefelter for example, male genitalia and female breast growth. Certain forms of Androgen defiency also cause children to look entirely female with the penis essentially growing during puberty. Not identical to how futas are in fiction, but that body type kind of exists.
Fictional futanaris don't have a genetic disorder. They're just a fictional "third gender", as in that they have functional full sets of both genitalia. Intersex people do exist, but they're not "futanaris". They have rare genetic disorders that have various forms and they often have a hard life. Comparing them to this manga is doing them a disservice.

Anyway, the characters here are not futanaris, nor intersex, so the point is moot.

It's just a case of "waking up as a girl/guy". The prevalence doesn't seem that rare and doesn't seem to have any adverse consequences on the body. They just become the other gender completely. At a genetic level too. And it's irreversible.

It doesn't really compare with actual (real) transgender people who voluntarily chose surgery so their body, on the surface level (not genetic), conforms with their internalized gender.

And we can see that this world has both type. Those who change spontaneously, without wanting to (consciously?) and those who change because they chose to. I guess those who have surgery would be jealous of the ones who changed completely without having to do anything.

I don't know what the author wants to explore here. Maybe just "what happens when you suddenly change sex?" without digging more than that into actual transgenders specific problems.

Double-page supporter
I think it's fine to use she for Minori since she obviously wants to return to having a female body, but if you wanted to stick closer to the original Japanese, they would be a fine neutral pronoun to use. Or just use Minori all the time

Power Uploader
I also think it's fine using "she" when the characters talk about Minori. Some don't know about the change and the others, since they have known "Minori" only as a girl, would be inclined to say "she".

And probably Minori wants to be gendered as a girl (for now).

Also I personally find the usage of "they" awkward and a bit forced. Of course, in theory, everyone would be "they" so no one would be misgendered, but we're not there yet, at least in everyday conversations.

Japanese can handle that a lot more gracefully, they can avoid using "he" or "she" if they don't want to. On the other hand "I" (boku/watashi/atashi/ore) is gendered and tells more about how someone identifies than in English.

this very much reads like a transfeminine narrative. The way she feels genuinely embarassed and ashamed of being perceived as male and for the way her body is resonates deeply with my own experiences. Minori's clear desire to continue being a girl despite her body and the challenges it brings are also intentionally contrasted with Yuuko's own experience with being in a male or female body in chapter 7. Obviously we're still early on so the way Minori interacts with her own gender and her presentation might change and maybe she really is a guy on the inside, but nothing to me really suggests she's going to enjoy the changes a male puberty might cause at the current moment.

she should learn how to tuck tho tbh

Last edited:
As some others have said, it would make more sense to still keep calling Minori by "she". her body may physically be that of a boys, but she clearly is the same girl as before the change and still wants to be seen and treated as such.

Also I'm interested into seeing how this is going to work out for her. she wants her original female body back and has discussed getting a sex change surgery, but that would just change the appearance of her genitals. wouldn't her body still run as a males regardless? if SCD isn't cureable, then her only real way of trying to go back to female,(while not completely the same original body) would have to go in a similar MtF route.

Aggregator gang
I don’t get how people are surprised she’s half german, they said it in one of the first two chapters.

Also her hair is blonde, her dad’s hair is black, I think it’s kinda obvious her mother is blonde and the german

Users who are viewing this thread