We Shall Now Begin Ethics

Dex-chan lover
Conceptually interesting but it quickly devolved into a pseudo-intellectual wankfest of the author.

It’s the manga form of Facebook quotes on a landscape background, basically.

Damn, this is really good. Up to ch 2 was enough to sell me this series. Recommend.
Not much ethics up to this point, but enough human drama to make it a great series.

Dex-chan lover
Conflicts with core beliefs a little too much to be interesting. It just feels preachy, even if it's not really doing that at all.

Part of it feels preachy, but I personally found how the teacher is portrayed really interesting.

In one early chapter a student says "he must've suffered through a lot of hardships", then in the chapter right after that we instead hear " he must've been loved by a lot of people". (From the teacher's reactions, we can assume both are true.)

So far this is pretty deep

Anything that's related to morals and ethics will normally come off as preachy even if that's not their goal. Because they're views and opinions that are already formulated, coherent, and articulated, anyone who talks about them or believes in them will talk confidently and surely about them. So it's like, you get the impression that's the "right" disposition and because it's "right", you should adopt them.

Also, the easiest method to explain something is to create scenarios and examples. Ethics will deal about judgement - right or wrong - so it will inevitably sound preachy. But then, real "objective" -ly delivered Ethics is often 'neutral' and ambiguous or vague and that kind of stance or delivery is not very effective in storytelling or in real life.

You can get an idea what the author, or at least the mc's, stance are on some philosophical topics. Like, for example,
is man inherently virtuous or inherently evil (or selfish)? MC may agree with the more positive view while the antagonist believe in the latter.
The manga at least tries to compromise or try to remain unbiased by including different opinions or oppositions whenever it's appropriate.

When you forget to mention the tens of millions of dead people killed by Soviet Union and just casually say the economy failed...

I come for the depressed-faced teacher, he's really feeling a lot despite his poker-sad face

Dex-chan lover
I want someone like this teacher or Koro-sensei to be real and just talk about life and how to be happy and fulfilled.

I've found a strength of this series is making you uncomfortable reading it, but wanting to turn the page all the same.

Dex-chan lover
Y'know,most of the time I speed read a chapter of a manga,like just go "Woosh gotta read this quick because reasons unknown." but not this one.
This is one of the few mangas that'll always get my full attention when reading.
There's just something about it that just compels me to read everything.

Users who are viewing this thread