Welcome to the site! (MangaRock refugee thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Super Moderator
@Gigz If you're an Android user (and don't shy away from jumping through some hoops to get it working) you can try the MR2Tachiyomi tool that waicool20 developed. He's also on Tachiyomi's discord offering support (https://discordapp.com/invite/tachiyomi) if you encounter any issues.
b9wI12H.png

Group Leader
Nope, MD is different. MR is an aggregator (in legal case, it's like Google News / MSN News) which means they gather all available resources in internet to make it available for their readers, note here Google/MSN/Yahoo gathers the news with publishers consent. But MD is like youtube, it's a platform for scanlators to upload their works (and for youtube, as we know, is a platform for vloggers and such to upload their videos)

Hope you understand it and welcome to the site @sniper23!

@axelTHEGREAT

Personally, I don't care all that stuff, regardless of that, they might try to pull the same stunt. Going legal without some ground-breaking stuff basically doesn't change anything. People still pirate stuff, it doesn't lessen it. So, I hope MangaDex won't do it like that.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@sniper23 posted:

Personally, I don't care all that stuff, regardless of that, they might try to pull the same stunt. Going legal without some ground-breaking stuff basically doesn't change anything. People still pirate stuff, it doesn't lessen it. So, I hope MangaDex won't do it like that.
Pull what stunt? The only reason MangaRock "went legal" is because they couldn't escape the pressure from publishers and decided to they had to keep making money somehow. They most certainly didn't do it because they wanted to. It's obviously less profitable for them.

We're not here to make money but to act as the platform between scanlators and their audience. If we could somehow be a legal platform on the side while still fulfilling that primary goal, that would be nice, but there's absolutely no realistic way of that happening before some major changes happen to both copyright laws and publisher attitudes.

Obviously we can't promise we'll live forever, but being forced to remove scanlated content because of "third parties" would be a complete failure of the function of the site.

@Teasday

I believe you should make some from this site to keep it alive. I'm in web developing business and those servers cost a lot. But, making something like would create rumors like "they are making from our stuff!" I'm sure.

Well, in the end, you are right. No king rules forever.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@sniper23 We subsist nicely on donations and a bit of our own merch for now. You can see our server costs here. If we started making this site actually lucrative, making money off of other people's content wouldn't be just rumors.

Contributor
@Teasday said:

If we started making this site actually lucrative, making money off of other people's content wouldn't be just rumors.
If you really wanted to go down that route, you don't need to make money off other's content, just offer some game where people can throw their money. It doesn't even need to be some Grand Order or some other AAA game, just something like what the Moldovan secret club does.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@kenx I would love to do that and I've had some preliminary ideas but there's way too much stuff to get done first.

@Teasday

Well, I guess keeping this site alive while not bankrupted is really good. I have seen many people who tried the same and ran out of money.

I hope donations will keep this site going on for a long time.

So, is MangaRock actually shutting down their website, or did they just say they were going to and get rid of their app (the more visible issue) to avoid legal problems? By now their website was supposed to be down, but it is still up and adding chapters.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@throwaway4ccount They said they'd "take content off mangarock.com" by the end of September, whatever that's going to mean. Wouldn't be surprised if a new site called mangastone or something magically pops up. In the meantime, they're predictably keeping up the usual operations because the apps were the real problem.

Actually, they even have instructions on the site now on how to reinstall the iOS app.

@Teasday

I see that they have changed what their website says to "end of September" but when I first read it, it said "2nd week of September". I hadn't looked to see they had changed that. I wonder if they will change it a couple more times while hoping things blow over. Since they have reintroduced the app (but "free" now), I assume the heat is off and they are trying to go back to business as usual until they get caught again.

Is there a way to transfer my 1100 mangas that I bookmarked from manga rock over here? Cuz I don’t wanna do it by hand man...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread