What do you do with your old technology?

What do you do with your old relics, unused laptops, disused towers, under done servers
what is it you do with them after your use case for them has stopped?
Repurposing them into Linux Machines (like a webserver, a docker host, or an Mangadex@home node if I can afford faster internet). At work, we still have machines running Windows 7 of all places as well as my work machine during my OJT days (used to run older software for compatability reasons)

If I can spare the electricity money, it'll become a proxmox node. Although I wanna expand the storage on the current one.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
At one point I had three desktop computers I "rescued" from an office that were old enough to be using DDR2 and probably running Windows 2000 just sitting in my entryway closet because I couldn't fit them anywhere else

After about four years I moved out and tossed them in a landfill or something idk

I don't think I've ever sold anything I've owned

Dex-chan lover
Here is a few ideas:
1. Use thermite on it. Look it up nasty stuff.
2. Glue a thin doughnut ring under the CD's. It a frizbee, or a substitute for a clay pigeon. P U L L !!
3. Keep it til it becomes retro again. Old Commodore 64's working or not are going for more than new in there day. PS, it's because of the sound SID chip.

I usually keep em as a memento or just give em to family members, I think I have personal attachments to my stuff so selling them is out of the question.

Have an old and very slow Nexus 5 phone. It had wireless charging so I leveraged that and made an (almost)always on nav screen for my car(old honda civic). Have like 10 gb of offline local google maps on it, does very well for is purpose. I also have a very old IBM T42 thinkpad. Very slow, and only really useful as a word processor. I took windows xp off of it and replaced it with KODI, now I play movies on an old tv in my garage via dvd player, usb downloads, and KODI using the laptop. Not particularly fast, but does its job pretty decently for an aged laptop.

Dex-chan lover
I inherited a celenium cell 1970s point-and-shoot and rn im just displaying it, but I want to get it to work again!!!

oh! thought this was in lounge, I give my old phone, every time I switch (every 4/5 years or so?) to grandpa! He likes to learn so it's always great for him!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I usually keep em as a memento or just give em to family members, I think I have personal attachments to my stuff so selling them is out of the question.
same, even with stuff not tech related, like, I have all my eyeglasses sinse i entered school, im a 1st year at uni now, our I don't particularly like to throuw clothing items out even though they don't have more uses (after the machine shop rag stage)

Dex-chan lover
It gets eaten by dust. I saw one where the plastic got so brittle it crumbled.
However, my floppy disc drives are so durable it withstood time. Especially the 1'44", drive B: floppy discs, the big flat black ones. It can only barely contain 1 MB, yet the data is good enough for codes stored in batches.

Double-page supporter
We have this Old, OLD Emachine Computer still with windows vista on it in our house! And while it runs things 20fps, we still turn it on, and look at the photos stored on it! So many memories! And all the Sims 3 Expansion Tabs XD! Ahh, I still remember seeing my dad download world of warcraft wotlk back then, the launcher looked so different! 20fps used to be cool to us!

I hoard it because I hate throwing things away and it's often too old/obsolete to be gifted. I could probably sell it but then I'd have to deal with wiping the data for software related devices and setting up an ebay account for that and everything else. In short, I hoard old tech because I'm lazy. I'm still trying to figure out if I can reuse my old SSD somehow after getting a new one for my steam deck. But I don't think I have anything that takes something of that size 😅

Dex-chan lover
My gameboys' LCD started getting oily and dark green, and when I opened there is verdigris.

In my laptop and those thin monitors it smells like kerosene on the display after 5 years and fear that it might explode. I looked on Wikipedia they called it carbonizing.

As for my pc's they either had 🕷 🐜 or termites on the inside after decades of use. Made me choose laptop because of this.

Dex-chan lover
I can't throw this out,
It might be useful later!
I'll store it somewhere....
eoabdsrf6p841.jpg
Sold mine to college artists who are looking materials for "art".

I think they bought all my old wires' worth and weight, around 50 lbs. Pound per pound.

Dex-chan lover
Older shit: Recycling
Usable shit: Backup thingy (spare electric razor, laptop if my pc folds and so on)
Excess usable shit: Gifted or sold (cheaply) via one of the 1000 used shit platforms over the net since it is still usable
Makes sense I'd say.

Dex-chan lover
We have this Old, OLD Emachine Computer still with windows vista on it in our house! And while it runs things 20fps, we still turn it on, and look at the photos stored on it! So many memories! And all the Sims 3 Expansion Tabs XD! Ahh, I still remember seeing my dad download world of warcraft wotlk back then, the launcher looked so different! 20fps used to be cool to us!
Mine worked for a while too this March before returning to boot sequence. Maybe I need to wait 10 more years again for it to start.

Right now I am seeing 2 Desktop tower with XP era specs, and 1 Desktop Tower with Window 7 era specs. The prev two have floppy disk reader and Disc reader. The Window 7 have only have a Disc reader.
I am thinking, maybe turning them into some sort of basic local server?

Users who are viewing this thread