What do you do with your old technology?

Dex-chan lover
@enemyoftorn: What for? May sound harsh, but they don't even have proper energy saving features and the performance is real bad. Recycling or retro gaming I'd say. If you really need a server: RasPI, NUC, a modern office (mini) PC as a server and so on. Personally: recycling if no one wants to fetch them for free. :(
E: Electricity ain't free. ;)

Dex-chan lover
We have this Old, OLD Emachine Computer still with windows vista on it in our house! And while it runs things 20fps, we still turn it on, and look at the photos stored on it! So many memories! And all the Sims 3 Expansion Tabs XD! Ahh, I still remember seeing my dad download world of warcraft wotlk back then, the launcher looked so different! 20fps used to be cool to us!
That is what a supercomputer means.

Dex-chan lover
@enemyoftorn: What for? May sound harsh, but they don't even have proper energy saving features and the performance is real bad. Recycling or retro gaming I'd say. If you really need a server: RasPI, NUC, a modern office (mini) PC as a server and so on. Personally: recycling if no one wants to fetch them for free. :(
E: Electricity ain't free. ;)
Tried finding plugs in restaurants and most of the time they are screwed shut.

Dex-chan lover
My old tech is mostly desktop PC stuff (complete rigs or components). I like to turn them into retro-gaming machines, just for fun and to nurture my nostalgia. I have several of them already, ranging from mid-90's running under Win 95 / 98SE to late-00's under XP.

Among them, I even have a few ones that a friend of mine gave me after salvaging them from the landfill. Yep! And sometimes they were dumped for reasons as petty as a flat BIOS battery. SMH. So I revived most of them and use them for various experiments.
Throwback to that one Athlon 64 platform in perfect condition that was my guinea pig for my first serious overclocking attempts. Don't worry, I didn't fry it in the process, but it has been put in storage now.;)

I also recycled some of my old components to put together / upgrade my parents home PC. And my previous rig currently serves me to get familiar with Linux, as I'm actively preparing to transition. Regarding what Windows is becoming, the deadline will probably be Win10's end of support...

So basically, I'm struggling a bit to not become a hoarder.:giggle:

Dex-chan lover
Both of my stereos have components that are older than I am, because they sound better than anything comparably priced that's new, and because they can actually be repaired if something stops working. (Yes, I do have tubes in one of my systems - if you know....)

On the other hand, non-working laptops get binned after the drive's pulled. That's usually the result of me spilling something into the keyboard and them letting the magic smoke out (happened twice now).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Both of my stereos have components that are older than I am, because they sound better than anything comparably priced that's new, and because they can actually be repaired if something stops working. (Yes, I do have tubes in one of my systems - if you know....)

On the other hand, non-working laptops get binned after the drive's pulled. That's usually the result of me spilling something into the keyboard and them letting the magic smoke out (happened twice now).
The power of vacuum tubes - they are enclosed by glass so the water will not make the copper ( or even better - tungsten ) rust inside. Even prevents short circuiting because they don't have motherboards. Each part is insulated, from wires to nodes. This is why vacuum tubes ran out of stock - preciousss metaaaalsssss.

Dex-chan lover
The power of vacuum tubes - they are enclosed by glass so the water will not make the copper ( or even better - tungsten ) rust inside. Even prevents short circuiting because they don't have motherboards. Each part is insulated, from wires to nodes. This is why vacuum tubes ran out of stock - preciousss metaaaalsssss.
From a safety/toxicity standpoint, there are some heinous compounds in some of the older tubes... which of course means those are the ones that many folks think work/sound best and command top dollar in the market. They can't build 'em like they used to, mostly because they'd be fined into oblivion if they tried.

Dex-chan lover
Rule # 10: Prohibition creates scarcity. Scarcity increases demand.

Adam Smith - Wealth of Nation
From a safety/toxicity standpoint, there are some heinous compounds in some of the older tubes... which of course means those are the ones that many folks think work/sound best and command top dollar in the market. They can't build 'em like they used to, mostly because they'd be fined into oblivion if they tried.

Users who are viewing this thread