What game did you not regret purchasing?

Dex-chan lover
Satellite Reign

Came as part of a bundle. I went in fully expecting a clunky mess not worth even the 1$ I paid for it. Instead, I got... Well, a clunky mess, but just a bit! And a really fun one, at that! I'm a sucker for all squad-focused games with a leveling system to begin with, and digging up every scrap of lore (necessary to even begin understanding the plot) while sneaking around for a bit, then blasting my way out of cyberpunk facilities was way more fun than I expected. Really happy to have stumbled across this unpolished little gem.

Aggregator gang
Ps4, But Horizon and God of War Lol. I honestly didn’t think I’d like them as much.
I also waste money on games, I buy games with the assumption I’ll resell them later lol— so I just buy whatever games looks interesting super half-heartedly. I also have a short attention span, so I’ll pay big bucks on a game and stop playing within a week lol

Horizon came out to be really fun, I went crazy with it’s in-game camera options.
God Of War was really fun, haven’t completed everything yet, but I got so interested in it I started learning how to read Runes so I can giggle at being able to read them in-game lol

Master of Magic.
This is the very first PC game that I purchased, all the way back in 1994... Or was it early 1995? Anyway, 25 years later, I still have this game installed on all my PCs. It was one of the first games with a randomly generated map. Yeah, lots of nostalgia there... I guess that means I'm getting old...

For something more recent, few games can beat the re-playability of Rimworld.
Such stories of struggles and madness! Of surviving from raiders! Of fleeing from large packs of man-hunting deers! Of finding drop-pods after drop-pods falling from the sky, full of nothing but wooden foot...
Of fearing Randy's wrath; a chain of catastrophic random event that will cause your colony's downfall in the most unbelievable and yet beautiful ways because Randy got bored watching your pawns build your survival shelter... Because that's what happens; you get this game for the colony-building, you keep replaying it for the cringy yet epic drama unfolding before your eyes...

Dex-chan lover
Battlefield 2. Haven't bought any of the new ones cause bot skirmish and modding is great.

Bf2 is so good that ea had to shut down a platform hosting multiplayer support for it 1-2years ago for approx 1.5 old decade game

Aggregator gang
Terraria, honestly this games is so fucking good, it' on sale everynow and then on steam and you get so much for so little money. The final update is around the corner (which is free btw, all of the updates are) and you should definitely buy it, can't recommend enough.

is a Reindeer
VIP
https://store.steampowered.com/developer/mattroszak

The entire Epic Battle Fantasy franchise. I've never been a big fan of turn-based combat systems but I found this quite enjoyable. The soundtrack is absolutely unique and the series is quirky and never takes itself seriously.

Power Uploader
TF2 before it went f2p. I got this manificient hat, virtually worth 10€

Soldier_proof_of_purchase.png

Factorio. had 2000+ Hour (in steam counter) gameplay.
can use mod, using python for mod, help me and my little sister practice write code in python.

Based on my Steam Playtime, the games I've sunk the most hours in are:

Category - Over 100h
- Terraria;
- Stardew Valley;
- Sid Meier's Civ V;
- Surviving Mars;

Category - Over 50h
- Stellaris;
- Divinity: Original Sin 2;
- Divinity: Original Sin;
- Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning;
- Age of Empires 2;
- Sid Meier's Civ VI;

Aggregator gang
@RicHykkie Man i miss TF2 so much, played after a few years it went free and it's my most played game, (on steam at least) around 600 hours, and i spent quite a bit of money opening boxes. Still no unusual tho 😅

Dex-chan lover
My biggest one is Bastion. Thought I was gonna hate it. Super fun though.

Cinderella Phenomenon too, even though it was actually free.

Dex-chan lover
I'm a big fan of the Tales of series, so almost all of those. I prefer traditional old styled JRPG mechanics, which the Tales of series did hold onto longer than others. And Star Ocean is my favorite game series of all time. All of them are great except 5, But we don't talk about that one. If we all pretend it doesn't exist then maybe it'll come true.

Double-page supporter
I didn't regret single purchase. But to be honest I didn't bought single game since mid-00 😎

Sometime I torrent something "new and revolutionary" just to play 20 minutes and say "yep, trash as expected" then lightly delete this "masterpiece" :/

Persona 5. I know this is a pretty mainstream answer, and the game definitely has it flaws, but it was more so the circumstances around my purchasing the game that led to me being pleasantly surprised. Tl;dr at the bottom of the post.

I've been playing the MegaTen franchise since the (horribly localized) first installment on the original PlayStation. (I know Persona is technically divorced from the mainline MegaTen franchise, but I'm lumping it in to establish foundation.) I really enjoyed the series, all the way up until Persona 4. I didn't hate the game, but I was definitely starting to get the vibe that I was growing out of the target audience for it, being only two years away from entering my twenties when it first dropped. Then came Golden, and all the endless spin-offs, and I had pretty much come to the conclusion that Persona was just...no longer for me. This was compounded by the fact that some of the other MegaTen titles were starting to follow Persona's lead, rather than continue being, you know, MegaTen. SMT IV Apocalypse felt like a saturday morning cartoon version of the franchise. The enhanced port of Devil Survivor 2 only further reminded me of that fact. Tokyo Mirage Sessions was...what it was. Then came the announcement of P5, rumored to feature an adult cast.

Until Atlus backpedaled.

Then the new rumors came that it was going to feature a mixed-age cast.

And Atlus backpedaled again.

High school. We were going back to high school yet again. Needless to say, my expectations weren't very high. But I told myself I'd come this far with the franchise--if I could get it cheap, I'll give it a go, but I certainly wasn't picking it up on release day like I'd done with the other installments. Flash forward to early this year, around February, when I managed to find a boxed copy, brand new, for about $20 USD. That was a reasonable price--if I liked it, great; if I didn't, I wouldn't feel too cheated.

Playing the game brought me back to the fold.

Now, let me say this upfront: Persona 5's writing leaves a lot to be desired at times. Some would even argue it's some of the worst in the series for how on-the-nose it is with its "adults bad; kids good" message at times. But the gameplay for this installment has been so refined and polished compared to previous iterations--the dungeon crawling actually felt fun and engaging. Fights were exciting and stylish. And while the soundtrack took a little bit of time to grow on me, I can't deny that the pulp-y, "super spy"-esque mood they went for ended up complimenting the game perfectly.

I'm actually looking forward to playing Royal and Scramble now, just because of how much goodwill P5 managed to garner with me. So yeah, definitely don't regret purchasing this one, especially for the price I got it at.

Tl;dr version: Persona 5 ended up renewing my faith in the franchise after almost giving up on it following the wake left by Persona 4.

Users who are viewing this thread