What game do you regret purchasing?

No Man's Sky. I knew it couldn't live up to the hype. I had people insisting that I should wait for a price drop. Major outlets were already reporting bad reviews by the time I bought it. I literally had no one to blame but myself. But I kept telling myself that "It's probably not as bad as people are making it out to be" or "I often like games most people don't anyway" (legitimately, I actually quite enjoy what people would consider "garbage games" or "kusoge", almost as much as good games). In the end, I ended up buying it a few days after release, at full price. Even after I bought it, I tried to convince MYSELF that I was having fun.

"Oh, it's like Minecraft; you kinda make your own story in your head and set your own goals." "It's not a 'game-game'; it's more like a meditative tool that you can zone out to and chill while playing." Lotta self-delusion with this one.

About a week later, after making what I considered to be quite a bit of "progress", I ended up putting myself in, basically, an unwinnable state, and I finally uninstalled it. Worse still, I had played WELL past the two-hour time limit, so I couldn't even refund it on Steam.

I probably have others, but this was a big one, and fairly "recent." I guess a quick, more "weeb-y" answer would be Summon Night 6. I liked plenty of the other Summon Night games, but everything about this one just felt cheap, and not in the way I usually like. What made it a real slap in the face was that Summon Night 6 was supposed to be an ANNIVERSARY title. A celebratory game! And it just felt...super, super low budget.

Dex-chan lover
Most of the games I've actually spent money on I regret purchasing because I'm really not into them anymore

I remember being real excited to finally get to buy Dragon Age 3 back in the day and how it really disappointed me

Aggregator gang
I think it was 2008 when the PSP was still a huge thing and people were playing MonHun everywhere, I purchased this absolute shit of a game called Valhalla knights 2. Never have I regretted anything more.

No Man’s Sky, well it’s good now but I was devastated how disappointingly disappointing it was during release.
and
Destiny 2, it’s still good in its own rights, but I have reservations about it as of the moment.

Dex-chan lover
Sim City 5 Yea, EA was already sketchy by 2013 but surely they and Maxis wouldn't screw up the First proper SC in ages. So a few hours in and it becomes apparent that the game is completely broken, like the devs disconnected the Residential/ Industrial/ Commercial interplay because the traffic simulation didn't work and then pretended everything was fine broken.

Zet

I backed Mighty No 9. It was the worst mistake of my life. Compared to it, I don't even regret buying Fable 3.

Dex-chan lover
@Drifter

I just don’t trust EA. Have been burned by them. They imo are the Disney of game publishers. It feel like everything that they touch dies in some shape or fashion.

I miss maxis games. In addition there won’t be a good command and conquer game.

The Original Watch Dogs, overhyped, and the graphics downgrade is just...

Dex-chan lover
@Arantir

Yeah the graphics issue was a major thing. What was funny was in the pc build of the game. If you looked inside of the game code, there was an opt to turn on/off the E3 graphics.

I felt the the story was overall underwhelming.
Who in there right mind though that having everything digital run on the same network and infrastructure was a good thing?

Probably BDO, I was looking for something to scrath my MMO itch, but I nearly died of boredom.

Group Leader
Probably the Ruby/Sapphire remake. As soon as I was literally handed a legendary Pokemon with zero work or effort I was kinda miffed. Especially since the hunt for latias/latios was one of the most thrilling and challenging parts of the original game.
I already felt from X/Y that the games have been really dumbed down, and it's not because I'm older now than when I was playing them back when I was a kid and therefore they appear easier. They just literally are being made easier and easier to complete, story wise at least.

On the opposite note, if there are 2 games that have gone well and beyond getting their money's worth for me, it's The Sims and Minecraft. Been a sims fan since sims 2, but sims 3 has gotten years worth of run time out of me lol. Minecraft I bought way back in beta, and I still play it from time to time. Though I'm usually playing older versions. I think ever since the Microsoft buyout the game has been suffering from over-polish, personally.

Dex-chan lover
@loki266 what?? I disagree!
RE5 is a fun co-op action game.
I remember sort of speed running the game with my.. cousin.
There was plenty of laughter and yelling and throwing flashbang at each others, good times!
Though yeah it's not thrilling/scary like the other RE game, so I guess I can see why people think it's bad.

Are you sure you're not mistaking it for RE6 instead?

Edit:
Though now that I think again, this thread about a game people regret buying, not about arguing whether it's great or not, so in a sense my bad
Xp

Dex-chan lover
@ABCsOfLife
RE5 is a fun co-op action game.
Counterpoint:
serveimage

Boss fights as awful as this old fart are few and far-between. Doing this in co-op only helped spread the suffering.
That being said, there aren't many decent local co-op games anyway, so even trash like RE5 can be enjoyable as long as it's serviceable enough.

I hate to bump this thread all of a sudden, but I have quite a few not-so-kind, but thankfully expletive-free, words to say about two LEGO games that disappointed me.

LEGO Dimensions
I initially had high hopes for it, considering its combining a toys-to-life game with LEGO, a franchise I like, but lost interest in due to my current house not having a lot of space to store LEGO stuff. Besides, I only got that game for my birthday in 2016 because, for some reason, I got something for that game for Christmas of 2015.

That was a bad move on my part. But it gets worse...

I stumbled into LEGO Dimensions' Wii U port blind, no reviews or gameplay viewed beforehand, and I had fun...at first. I discovered on my own that the game really wants its players to buy everything that works with it, and there's proof--100% completion is only possible if you have everything that the game works with. Later on, in one level, the game froze on me. It was a sign of things to come.

After beating that level--mind you, the levels in that game are quite long for LEGO game standards, and I vaguely remember them taking an hour each for me to beat--I continued making progress in the game until I permanently lost an item that's essential to progress. How did that happen? Well, a cutscene failed to play, so I reset the game in an attempt to watch that cutscene again, but it didn't show me it at all. I then went to the next level, but couldn't do anything because, as I said, I somehow lost an item that was essential to progress. So I restarted my game's progress...

...but then it froze on me again, making me delete my game's save and not bother with it. I later sold all my LEGO Dimensions stuff in 2018 when I visited Spokane. I certainly don't miss that game!
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
The following is a slightly edited version of my once-unpublished review of this game from 2017.

Rule of thumb: if Traveller's Tales develops a LEGO adaptation game in 2012 or later, and even if it may not look like it'll suck at first, it's going to suck. I've played this game and LEGO Dimensions to prove I'm not lying.

First of all, LEGO Batman 2 sounded better than the first game, what with it adding in other characters from the DC 'verse into LEGO Batman. Not only that, there were several other things--a fully explorable Gotham City, the aforementioned non-Batman DC characters, new suits for Batman and Robin to use, this game being the first LEGO adaptation game to use actual voice acting...it felt like the gift that kept on giving.

However, it didn't just feel the same compared to previous LEGO adaptation games, because some drastic changes were made for this game and every future release. You know those times when you beat a level in the older games, then got to buy one or more characters that you witnessed in said level for use in Free Play mode? Unfortunately, you won't be doing stuff like that here--instead of having a place to buy new characters from, you have to rack up as many Gold Bricks as you can from doing things like searching around Gotham and doing certain puzzles within the city or beating levels after collecting lots of studs to get said Gold Bricks, then use them as well as a certain amount of studs to buy a character that you can use in Free Play mode. Oh, and you also have to find the exact locations of these areas where you can use your Gold Bricks to unlock new characters.

Here's an example of how to unlock a character--from what I remember, to unlock a policeman for use in Free Play mode, you have to rack up fifteen Gold Bricks, then assemble a doorway made of said Gold Bricks not too far away from Arkham Asylum. You then spend 25,000 studs to buy him, and now he's in your collection.

There are other methods of unlocking characters, too. Beating up several generic mooks that randomly show up, like the Joker's goons and Lex Luthor's LexBots (or whatever they're called; it's been awhile since I last played this, and I returned my copy for reasons explained later), then buying said mook you beat up a bunch of earlier is one example. Another is activating one of many terminals scattered around Gotham, finding supervillain X (there are many examples of this) near said terminal, winning a battle with them, and buying them for your collection if you defeat them.

They also revamped unlocking extras, too. If you've played a LEGO adaptation game before, then you'd easily know of Power Bricks. Find one in level X, then buy it with amount of studs Y so you can use extra Z at any given time. In some games, the Power Bricks are replaced with other things; for example, LEGO Indiana Jones uses Parcels in place of the Power Bricks you know and love, and you have to find the Parcels and drop them in a nearby mailbox in order for you to buy them later.

Of course, that's not what I'm talking about here--rather than find them in the game's various levels, in LEGO Batman 2, you have to unlock extras by searching around Gotham for the Power Bricks--now going by the more generic moniker of "Red Bricks", but I'm still gonna call them Power Bricks--then do certain things to get said Power Bricks, such as play minigames that involve you controlling a miniature vehicle that destroys other miniature vehicles, or unlock/break open a crate that only the Riddler/etc. can unlock/break open. You can then buy the Power Brick after doing whatever you did to unlock it beforehand. I miss searching every nook and cranny of a LEGO adaptation game's various levels just to find a Power Brick.

What also isn't the same to me, however, is the voice acting. Remember when pantomiming was a thing? I do. Sadly, now it's a thing of the past, because, starting with this game, every character has actual voices now. While I may like this change, for some reason, I simultaneously dislike it, mainly because it doesn't feel the same as previous games.

In short, Traveller's Tales completely revamped how characters and extras are unlocked, and they added voice acting. Compared to their earlier titles, things aren't the same as they used to be.

Now that I'm done talking about the drastic changes Traveller's Tales has made to their LEGO games I know and (sorta) love, it's time for things to get worse.

One week after I bought this game, I beat it. Little did I know that things got real glitchy from that point. Things started off tame, what with me experiencing heavy lag at one point while I tried to get a Gold Brick. After that, it got worse. At another point, the music seriously glitched out, causing me to reduce my TV's volume until I changed the music again.

Once I saw those glitches happen...later on, the game did it. It went up and froze on me while I tried getting one of the Red Bricks Power Bricks. From there, I lost all of the patience I had for this game, refused to play it again, and returned it after another week.

Oh, and a few more things--the tone that played when the game froze was the same tone I had heard several times in LEGO Dimensions, and did I forget to mention I played the Wii version of LEGO Batman 2? I could've used a different console version, but I'm certain the version I choose will be a buggy mess, too. Want proof? Well, I had to take a look at most of the ports' GameFAQs boards. Several of the topics in each board mentioned glitches within this game. Some of the glitches made getting 100% near-impossible, making you somehow PERMANENTLY lose a minikit/Gold Brick/etc. despite grabbing one in any level/wherever else, for instance.

The sudden bugginess made me so disappointed, I gave up on the game. I expected this to be fun, but nooooo, Traveller's Tales had to get the most incompetent bug testers ever! I also forgot one thing--again, I played the Wii version, but, unlike this game's predecessor, this version of the game doesn't allow me to attack by swinging the Wii Remote around, instead making me mash B to attack. Screwing me out of a more convenient method of attacking; that's another sin committed. The game's also pretty quiet compared to some of the other games I played at the time, so I had to have the subtitles on, as well as my TV's volume being at a high level, just so I could actually hear things.

In short, if you want to play LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, please don't if you can't stand horrible bugs like me. I also looked up GameFAQs' boards for LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (this game's sequel...duh!)...and noticed that even in those boards, there were many mentions of the game being glitchy!

Staff
Admin
Evergrace on PS2.

It was the before time. The long long ago. And there were very few RPGs out on the PS2 at the time. In my desperation I bought this game and regretted it pretty much right away after getting it loaded up when I got home.

Every item of gear - as far as I remember - would start to decay in durability every second, you could literally watch things dying in real time on a set counter. It made the game a chore to play, and the combat and story were so bad I ended up going back to play Eternal Ring while I waited for FFX to come out...

Dex-chan lover
Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness.

Seriously tri-Ace/Square-Enix, we only get one game each generation, and this is what you gave us? How could the series regress so much?

Dex-chan lover
Recently, Va11-Hall-A.

I'm not even sure why I was so hyped for this game. Maybe I just liked the artwork, or the concept. Hell, I even ended up buying it at (almost) full price. Instead I got a very insipid Western VN that felt and read like an amateur Ren' Py game, only with a rather considerable price tag on it. The writing and characters really ended up rubbing me the wrong way, but not enough to hate it and the drop the damn thing. In the end it just turned into a real slog to get through. The music people were also praising so much was also rather disappointing, despite how big a part it played in the game.

It's really been a let-down the likes of which I haven't felt in a long while.

@ixlone You're one of the few people I've encountered personally to have ever played Evergrace that wasn't introduced to it by me. The game was really janky, for sure, but for it had that weird launch or near-launch title charm in how it tried to present itself. (But I will also submit that, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I tend to have a fondness for bad games, so I could just be biased here.) Of note was how...non-traditional, to put it one way, the soundtrack was.

Right up there with the "fashion" system that I never once mastered in all my time playing that game. (Entirely too long.)

Dex-chan lover
@Sleeper

I've played it too, as well as it's prequel Forever Kingdom. I can't say I remember much about them, though. I remember more about Dark Cloud. and my weapons continually breaking in Dark Cloud.

Users who are viewing this thread