What is your most hated trope in manga right now?

Eh that's ok, either way people got to vent frustrations. Alot of the non-tropes though seem to be headed to become tropes annoyingly. I made the thread cause after spending like a week binging series I was amazed how many bad tropes now exist lol.
That's because the term trope is misapplied and their "use" could probably be further exacerbated by dumb sites like TVtropes. I wouldn't say it's fine to mindlessly vent about narrative constructs in Japan, either.

Dex-chan lover
That's because the term trope is misapplied and their "use" could probably be further exacerbated by dumb sites like TVtropes. I wouldn't say it's fine to mindlessly vent about narrative constructs in Japan, either.
Bad story telling is bad story telling no matter where it comes from.
I dislike the over use of swords, I mean swords are cool and all but in reality they take years to learn properly. Also the fact that they pretend that everyone just used brute muscle to fight ignoring the wide plethora of combat techniques and fully developed martial arts that existed in the real world.
In an Isekai where people fight, martial arts would develop and if someone figured out how to incorporate SAND what would they do with magic?

I love isekai and harem to death and will continue to do so, but I absolutely hate OP MC that don't struggle to get stronger thus rendering the whole world useless in comparison right from the beginning and I also hate harem that introduces a new girl every single character, c'mon let us stick with one girl for at least one entire volume, get attached to her and see some development before introducing the next one.

I also tend to avoid completely romcom mangas that have harem tag but you know only one girl will be the winner, since I ALWAYS get attached to the girl who has zero chances to win.

Aggregator gang
If it's an MMORPG-based story, especially if it's stated as a popular MMO, "never-discovered-before secret skill/stat-booster". Don't give me that bullshit. We know that the higher the quality of an MMO, the more people will play and the more guides will be created. Over 30 million people downloaded, and no one made a guide? Impossible. People will be flooding in secret and boss areas like crazy. An unbalanced, cheat character will topple off PVP rankings and the devs will gain lots of complaints. Realistically things will be nerfed unless the devs want the game to lose popularity.
Also, extensive and detailed secret dungeons that no one has discovered before in that kind of story. You think the programmer, the story writer, the asset artist, the level designer put a lot of time making something and placed it where no one wants to go? In games even developers would put in hints to that location in those situations. At least make the place tiny and rough on the edges if it was really a secret.

Dex-chan lover
OP isekai/reincarnation/time travel MC who is damn oblivious and dense as hell when it comes to recognizing their powers are indeed op

then again most of the mangas on that genres are bottom of the barrel with a few gems

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
:korone: Not gonna try to be original and look through the 5 pages of existing complaints before picking my own. What trope comes to mind at the moment is: bad guys looking ugly , fat, bald etc. Then there's not a trope but I cry when I see extremely good waifu art style get wasted because the story is about a lone mc traveling alone/with voluptuous looking minors . Then there's in-general lack of adult characters in the yuri stuff I have been picking up lately.

The one I hate the most: the demon king reincarnates as an equaly OP teen, that's not what I truly hate, what I really hate abot that trope is that their brains get fried in the transition and becomes a Goody two shoes pussy. old enemies keep appearing with the pure intent to kill him (and his weak female companion he just befriended, sometimes two) and even if he was the demon king who destroyed countries and slaughtered armies, now the most he does is knocking them unconscious to be handed to the local authorities.

Another one is the stupid trope of the girl with the most perfect grades/skill who gets second place for the first time in her life in the aptitude test an randomly challenges OP MC to a duel

Also the assassin who just likes killing and "likes to play with their toys until they break", get a contract to kill MC and ends the chapter with that hateable stupid smile saying "I hope this doesn't break too son, otherwise it won't be fun", bonus hate points if they're holding someone they just killed while saying that

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
If it's an MMORPG-based story, especially if it's stated as a popular MMO, "never-discovered-before secret skill/stat-booster". Don't give me that bullshit. We know that the higher the quality of an MMO, the more people will play and the more guides will be created. Over 30 million people downloaded, and no one made a guide? Impossible. People will be flooding in secret and boss areas like crazy. An unbalanced, cheat character will topple off PVP rankings and the devs will gain lots of complaints. Realistically things will be nerfed unless the devs want the game to lose popularity.
Also, extensive and detailed secret dungeons that no one has discovered before in that kind of story. You think the programmer, the story writer, the asset artist, the level designer put a lot of time making something and placed it where no one wants to go? In games even developers would put in hints to that location in those situations. At least make the place tiny and rough on the edges if it was really a secret.
Yep Yep.
I'm both a learning game dev and played MMO's intensively, so I can easily recognize that these Authors never played an MMO in their entire life, which is pretty dumb to not do when writing a story about them.
Honestly, I could understand if the game was just designed to be mysterious and it was more of a process than goal driven game, heck, one could even assume that the game has really good procedural technology, so that something like the MC finding something that noone has found before be entirely possible.
However, in an actual game that isn't designed by mindboggling weirdoes, this either would result in that item/skill/class being mass-used after the MC inevetably shows it off and unleashes a lot of other people finding it or he can shine on his own, before noticing that everyone else gets something equally awesome, thus making it still cool, but not main character of the entire game tier.

Tbh, gotta write that idea down for later, it sounds cool as shit to create a Simulation MMO

Aggregator gang
However, in an actual game that isn't designed by mindboggling weirdoes, this either would result in that item/skill/class being mass-used after the MC inevetably shows it off and unleashes a lot of other people finding it or he can shine on his own, before noticing that everyone else gets something equally awesome, thus making it still cool, but not main character of the entire game tier.
Exactly. Surely some percentage of players must've gotten something cool.

Tbh, gotta write that idea down for later, it sounds cool as shit to create a Simulation MMO
Nice! Cheers, mate. Good luck on the journey cause it will be a tough one.

Dex-chan lover
Exactly. Surely some percentage of players must've gotten something cool.

Nice! Cheers, mate. Good luck on the journey cause it will be a tough one.
I mean, that's a far off idea, probs at least only the second MMO I'll try, which will come after a first one that will happen once I have a larger team and am more experienced.
But yeah, the entire MC being special in a game is a terrible one. Please, Authors, if you write an MMO Story, actually play MMO's with others and learn the appeal of them.

Dex-chan lover
The whole concept of reincarnation as most isekai make it out to be (infinite, random rebirths regardless of who you are or what you've done) makes the lives and deaths of the characters meaningless. It turns what's supposed to have a sense of finality into Dragon Ball Z, life is just death without consequence. Nobody really dies, they're just alive somewhere else.

Mom got killed by an army of monsters? It's cool, she's now a high-class elite captain on a ship somewhere.

Demon lord kill your girlfriend? Dahhh sorry buddy, she's now the president of the U.S. and is too busy to bump uglies.

Best friend get chomped by a monster? Welp, he's leading a magical industrial revolution now so it's probably for the best.

Crackhead rapist got put down? Well he's now the hottest chick in the castle of this other alternate universe, so he's kinda better off dead.

It really drains the karmic justice from any scene with villains when you realize that they really suffer no consequences for their actions. It also makes it SO MUCH WORSE when you realize that everyone eventually becomes a villain anyway because that's just how statistics work. Most villains were probably normal people before being reborn as dickheads. Saintess? Oh yeah, she's now an assassin getting cut down by MC-kun. You'll also likely give birth to your own parents, maybe even your ex-wife/husband at some point now that I think about it. Honestly the implications of this afterlife system are endless.

Dex-chan lover
I read loads of isekai even though there is so much to hate.

Harems: Trying to flesh out a relationship between one female lead and one male lead is hard what with conflicts, misunderstandings and all that stuff. Just toss in a new girl and start the process all over. Time to explore the intricacies of two wives attempting to get along with each other and their husband? Nah. Toss in a new girl.

Super OP main character. Some main characters become so powerful they eliminate the chance of any story tension since he will always just smash his way through. Oh and, as a bonus, all of the other protagonists are inconsequential.

Super babies. I dont think this one has been mentioned yet. Babies have baby bodies and, more importantly, baby brains. Even if the main character is reborn with all of his memories, a baby brain doesn't have the capacity to make any sense of them. Should I ever finish my current projects, it could be fun to write a story in which isekaied children have their memories of our modern world but not the intelligence to know what they are. Unless they are identified and given special attention, all of that knowledge trickles away as they grow older and replace it with knowledge of their new world.

Aggregator gang
Yep Yep.
I'm both a learning game dev and played MMO's intensively, so I can easily recognize that these Authors never played an MMO in their entire life, which is pretty dumb to not do when writing a story about them.
Honestly, I could understand if the game was just designed to be mysterious and it was more of a process than goal driven game, heck, one could even assume that the game has really good procedural technology, so that something like the MC finding something that noone has found before be entirely possible.

It’ll make sense if it’s a hard/random skill everyone glosses over and the MC is crazy or dumb enough to use it and figures out it’s actually secretly OP. Hell it would make sense if the skill is tied to an item that’s considered extremely hard to obtain due to a quest being hard as hell or difficult to complete due to it demanding perfect execution. But a secret skill in an MMO that gives you god powers doesn’t make sense.

Aggregator gang
It’ll make sense if it’s a hard/random skill everyone glosses over and the MC is crazy or dumb enough to use it and figures out it’s actually secretly OP.
Would make more sense in singleplayer games. It's possible if game is not popular enough with extensive amount of content.
It reminds me of the most unpopular class in Siralim Ultimate, the mime. Mime isn't popular since most parties use designated roles (phys attacker/magic attacker/tanker/healer/buffer), and for that mime is unreliable since it copies whatever the opponent uses to a random (leading to the glass cannon attacker using taunt, etc.). Just for context, Siralim Ultimate is a monster collecting strategy game with 1200 (yes, a thousand plus) unique monsters (with their respective unique traits) that aren't reskins of each other.
Hell it would make sense if the skill is tied to an item that’s considered extremely hard to obtain due to a quest being hard as hell or difficult to complete due to it demanding perfect execution.
Makes sense in both singleplayer and multiplayer. There's a limit to how broken it can be, though. Cheat-manga-like powers are out of the question.
But a secret skill in an MMO that gives you god powers doesn’t make sense.
Lol, exactly, unless everyone has that broken skill and now the game is flooded with META builds.

Dex-chan lover
The one I dislike is Person A saves/talks to Person B.
This causes Person B to immediately fall in love with Person A.
Person B then devotes their entire life to Person A, and getting them to notice their love.

That's just delusional and plain stalker behavior.

Dex-chan lover
The one I dislike is Person A saves/talks to Person B.
This causes Person B to immediately fall in love with Person A.
Person B then devotes their entire life to Person A, and getting them to notice their love.

That's just delusional and plain stalker behavior.
This might have overlap with "opposite sexes do not interact that much in Japan" idea. If person B has 0 exposure to the opposite sex in a private setting and the person A makes a huge impression, then it's not as absurd.

The "notice me" part feels like a cheap source of comedy, and I truly hope that it stays there. Art imitating life and life imitating art, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread