What you need to know about the recent MangaDex data breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
@m3ch_mania

I mean, what do I even say to this? Sure, I don't run a 3mil user website or whatever, but basic things like PHP forum code that's in line with at least the level of tech we've had on thousands of websites since 2008 or session codes kept outside the database so that there's actually a point to using 2FA doesn't sound all that unrealistic to me, especially given that there's been 3-4 years to implement these bare-bones basic features. I'm having trouble understanding exactly what part of what I've said is unreasonable.

And again, as I made perfectly clear in my second response, I'm not drawing comparisons to Batoto, nor do I put it on a pedestal, it just worked better at any given point than MD has worked at any given point, but beyond delivering the actual manga and basic ease of use I experienced back then, I don't really care about (nor can I very clearly remember) any other big comparisons.

Fed-Kun's army
Wait, the hacker wanted 10k BTC? So like... half a billion Dollar? 😂
Well, welcome back anyway 😀

Thank you for the transparency.

On that note, I always use burner emails (and passwords) for sites such as this. Exactly because of this.
That being said, back to using FF bookmarks. Between this bs and the site being down more often than not, I think I'm done here.

what's he gonna do with my password? fap to my read history? oh look at my stuff? fap to hentai that i watched? what?

Dex-chan lover
Bb17LFP.jpg

maybe i need to stop predicting stuff

@dobu so pompous and self-righteous. If you’re going to make criticisms of and offer suggestions to a free-to-use hobby site, i’d recommend doing so in a way that isn’t insulting and condescending to the other party.

A silver lining is that some people will up their security. Please use a password manager. Please use different emails.

Dex-chan lover
Dang, that sucks. I can only imagine how big of a headache and heartache that must be for all those that work on keeping this site up and running. You all do a great service by creating and maintaining this community.

Shame on the hacker. Not sure what their motivation is in spreading misery... but come on, really? That's low.

Dex-chan lover
The hacker needs to be executed, Saudi Arabia style. Off his head!

What are creation and last connection IPs, backup 2FA codes, & RSS keys. Can someone explain these to me and how I can make them secure? I’m not tech savvy

Double-page supporter
@bodaciousbarn
So the pathetic hacker got butthurt that he didn't get his easy money and threw a temper tantrum. Just goes to show how sad of a person he is.

I'll say that he made an enemy out of every single person that uses this site, and there's probably at least 1 person who can get payback for us.

Dex-chan lover
@Silwith
Wait, the hacker wanted 10k BTC? So like... half a billion Dollar? 😂

More like he meant to say 10K US dollars. 1/5 a coin. Nothing is worth 1/2 billion dollars in code.
Now if you had all the source code of Microsoft, you might have enough to get a coffee at Starbucks. (not a latte, sorry)

Dex-chan lover
How I imagine MD's response to the 10K BTC ransom demand (~590,000,000 USD):

C1gaKt0.gif

Dex-chan lover
How the fuck does the hacker expect MD to have 10k BTC just floating around
Thats like just short of 500m €

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread