What you need to know about the recent MangaDex data breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the transparency and all your efforts that have gone, and will be going into fixing/minimalizing future incidents.

@freshlypotatoed
I assume you're talking about the db. You're basically talking about snapshots which is just a copy of the filesystem at a given time as opposed to a mysqldump. I know AWS takes snapshots automatically when you setup mysql for example & makes it east to use them for restore, but for sure you can just make your own snapshot as well. Just make sure your filesystem supports taking frozen in time snapshots since users may change data while your filesystem copy is being made, resulting in corrupt state.
Using docker to make snapshots likely wont work due to this, but either way, i'm sure similarly easy to use tools exist that would achieve what you're thinking in a correct way.

Dex-chan lover
@Pylkiya oooff, is it a physical machine or the standard VM that you usually rent? because that sounds kinda scary if it's a VM

Fed-Kun's army
While it is unfortunate that this has occurred, remember that sites much larger than ourselves (which are professionally maintained) have also been breached before.
Or even big companies which tell nothing to common folk and just sweep the breach under the rug.
And on smaller scale, a bored nurse/doctor/etc accessing your medical history, multiple times, for no reason.

It keeps telling me my new password is too short, which i highly doubt.

Retyped everything and it worked now.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@BucketBuddy Some person came onto the Discord saying the same thing, but then I pointed out that he filled out the fields wrong. He wrote his old password twice and his new password once, so the "new and new again" combination had one password that was "too short".

It's not a very good error message...

Dex-chan lover
@Plykiya
Really? Strange. I am using mangadex in two separate firefox contaigners, and each of them shows different 10 chapters in my history. Unless you are using separate tables for H and Non-H manga, it is likely that you are storing entire history and the history pages is just showing 10 last entries, hiding the rest.

Supporter
Wait, someone stores their bank account info at MD? What did they do? Send their bank account via message or something? Also correct me if I'm wrong, the thing you need to worry about is your username+password combination, right? Like you can delete your MD account, but if you use the same combination 69 times in other sites, deleting your account doesn't solve anything if the password is already leaked?
Edit: My account info was leaked during that Adobe situation years ago and this was explained to me that way, so yeah.

Group Leader
@Skullcrane886 "Everyone" knows that passwords need to be hashed with a proper password hashing function to avoid disaster in case of db leaks. MangaDex did this correctly. What they did not do correctly, is to take the same care to hashing the permanent session tokens, which are different to passwords in that the user does not choose them, so leaking one does not allow accessing other sites which the user uses the same password, but are similar to passwords in that knowing one allows access to the application. And as such, the leak allowed the attacker to access an admin account that happened to use a permanent session token. To their credit, this issue is waaaaaay less often talked about.

Stay safe guys, and use bitwarden for safekeeping your passwords.
Has a web dev myself, it's just one of those things that unfortunately happens.

Also, while the pw's are salted, my genshin account was hacked yesterday, and it had the same credentials.
I don't know if it was because of this, but it's a big coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread