What you need to know about the recent MangaDex data breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power Uploader
@Yatsuki

Wait, someone stores their bank account info at MD? What did they do? Send their bank account via message or something? Also correct me if I'm wrong, the thing you need to worry about is your username+password combination, right? Like you can delete your MD account, but if you use the same combination 69 times in other sites, deleting your account doesn't solve anything if the password is already leaked?

At most the only thing money-related to your account should be transaction details if you made any donation to MD in the past. If someone's dumb enough to use MD as a notepad of some sort, they have only themselves to blame.

Dex-chan lover
That sucks. Thanks for your continued efforts and the transparency; it's much appreciated! =)

An additional thanks for mentioning RSS feeds, I now updated mine.

All the best with finishing the work on v5!

Dex-chan lover
Am I too late to the hombre party? I'll say it anyway though.
HOOOMBREEEEEEEEeEeEeEeEeeee

On a more serious note, I hope with this incident the admin staff has decided to start changing their passwords at least once every couple of months to prevent such a situation from occurring again. It's probably unlikely for some other hacker to also gain access to your old servers but there's no telling how many times this specific one may try it.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Rgal No, that would be insane. We don't need to store a couple of billion rows just to implement a 10 chapter history. We store the last 10 hentai and last 10 non-hentai. It only displays 10.

@Ovdose Passwords had nothing to do with it, but yes, stricter policies towards people with power are definitely planned.

Dex-chan lover
But why? This site did not make money and I doubt users were discussing terrorism or financial affairs in PM.

@Plykiya
btw i forgot to ask last night, when are you going to implement a button to delete your account instead of having to post in a thread, personally i don't use it but i know plenty of people who requested that feature before.

Dex-chan lover
NLYl9l9m.png

Shit bros... I used my credit card for my password, and my zip code is the first five numbers of my SSN...

Sucks that it happened but thanks for the announcement and appreciate all the hard work happening behind the scenes to keep the site up!

Time to change passwords again OTL

Good luck guys ! Thank you for being honest about it. ^^ Hope you will be ok with your V5 ^^ (I absolutly don't know what it is but I'm sure it's way better... è_è)

Yikes.

Although I appreciate the transparency about this.

Just changed my password minutes ago, although I'm a bit worried about my email... Like, it's not the first time any of my frequently used emails have been involved in a data breach (this one in particular was involved in one that happened 8 years ago), but, needless to say, I have been using that one even more nowadays :|. Sure, I will change it here to one that is kiiiinda disposable at this point, but, I guess I got bit by a worryness bug, because I'm in a mood between "well, duh... my email is public at this point, so why I'm getting worried?" to "well, how dumb I can be, what kind of more potential danger would it lead to (besides SPAM? I guess?)?" even though, I'm pretty sure that a great majority of my accounts affiliated to this email have different passwords already up to this day (not even the same pw I used here, lmao)...

this was startling but thank you for dealing with it so promptly also is the database leaking truly unavoidable? and would it put mangadex in any trouble? (in other words, should I harden my heart for sad news...pls tell me no T-T)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread