what’s your guilty pleasure series?

what it says in the title. what’s a series you read that you know, rationally, isn’t good, per se, but you love it anyway because…just because!

mine: Kengan Ashura (ashura? asura? no one seems to agree). have you ever wanted to read a series that’s essentially one looooooong tournament arc? this manga’s for you (not the anime tho the visuals are ass). logically, i’m aware that it’s just 236 chapters of guys with physically improbable builds whaling on each other…but it’s hella fuckin compelling for me, a sucker for the “guy gets beat to shit but stands up anyway because ~willpower~” trope.

Group Leader
In all honesty I don't know why I am reading "Lonely attack on a different world".
It's not good, every arc(?) is the same, every time there is a new chapter I think "here we go again"... and yet here I am reading it.
Is it because we are at chapter 180 and it would be a pity to drop it? Is it because I am too lazy to remove it from my reading list? I'll never know, but here I am.

How would you explain the rating and popularity then, with your rationality
I had this conversation with someone else in a different thread. In short, it is possible to be successful by meeting the baseline of the demand of a given genre. In fighting action comics the baseline is usually "cool guys with big muscles fighting to death", so if you do that and maybe add a tournament or a war — tropes which everybody like — you can be successful even with average (or less than average) writing skills.

I sort of liked the series Kengan Ashura, that is because it is good, not despite it not being good

Dex-chan lover
Peerless Scoop "Scoop Laser Beam!" ( `・ω・´)♂〓〓〓〓★(゜Д ゜ ;;;).:∴ドゴォォ(thats its actual name, except the emoji is text)- you can find it up to chapter 27 on mangasee
the story is complete nonsense and the MC is pretty much a god (he even creates life at one point), but its just so absurd i cant help but laugh at it. i can only imagine that the author replaced half his body with drugs then spent a week procreating with a shovel and this story is what he thought was happening the whole time.

Double-page supporter
For me, it's Magical Girl SPEC-OPS ASUKA. It's quite trashy : a very bad scenario with incoherencies everywhere, edgy for nothing, characters are incarnated bad tropes, and so on. It's mostly the edgy stuff that make it trashy, because it's badly done edgy stuff. But i like it, and i don't know why (the yuri in it help a lot, i think).

And Kengan Ashura is fine, i love it too.

Dex-chan lover
I love Koharu no Hibi. No guilt or shame necessary, it's great.
There aren't too many likeable straight-up yandere romantic leads. If you navigate their edges just right, though, and the only viable alternative is an entitled tsundere brat, it can be made to work. But it's a helluva bumpy ride.

Dex-chan lover
Parallel paradise honestly it's shit but every time I see a new chapter I go back to it

Dex-chan lover
Netflix TOP anime. The reason Netflix won the stream competition.
Ouch. God I fucking hate Netflix and their godawful PS3 game looking adaptations nobody asked them to make. The real answer was that the Manga was fun and had good art. Even Omega is kinda great these days

Dex-chan lover
Ouch. God I fucking hate Netflix and their godawful PS3 game looking adaptations nobody asked them to make. The real answer was that the Manga was fun and had good art. Even Omega is kinda great these days
Once you get over "OHMA IS NOT ASURA ANYMORE!!" then you can enjoy the stuff.

Dex-chan lover
shoving in a shovel, niche!

"scoop" also in JP is a cuckoo idiom:

"You know why dicks are curved? I shove the tip to scoop out your insides, then fill it with my seed!"

something Maron✩Maron...
Peerless Scoop "Scoop Laser Beam!" ( `・ω・´)♂〓〓〓〓★(゜Д ゜ ;;;).:∴ドゴォォ(thats its actual name, except the emoji is text)- you can find it up to chapter 27 on mangasee
the story is complete nonsense and the MC is pretty much a god (he even creates life at one point), but its just so absurd i cant help but laugh at it. i can only imagine that the author replaced half his body with drugs then spent a week procreating with a shovel and this story is what he thought was happening the whole time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread