Wolf-chan wa Sumashitai - Ch. 23 - Test and Interrogation

Dex-chan lover
That isn't it. All Japanese tests are graded on 100 pt basis. However, passing grade in Japanese (and Chinese, actually) regular tests (not entrance exams) is very low because the average score for test takers is usually under 50. 30 IS a passing grade in most tests in Japanese schools.
Oooohhhh. Didn't know that. Thanks for the correction

Dex-chan lover
Oh wow. They definitely have it harder there since it's that low.
In Indonesia average passing grade is between 60-80 or 65-80. Lowest 50 but that's for elementary school.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That isn't it. All Japanese tests are graded on 100 pt basis. However, passing grade in Japanese (and Chinese, actually) regular tests (not entrance exams) is very low because the average score for test takers is usually under 50. 30 IS a passing grade in most tests in Japanese schools.
Really makes you think why they make tests so hard they have to nerf the passing grade. I guess it shows which students are exceptionally good at taking exams.

Dex-chan lover
Seems like a very mean dynamic that instead of making the tests simpler/easier, they’d rather keep the gap deep and just pass people with low scores.

That can’t be a good mentality for students, especially since it seems they have that “scoreboard” at the end of big tests.
That’s an easy way to develop a lot ego issues.

Oh wow. Theu definitely have ut harder there since it's that low.
In Indonesia average passing grade is between 60-80 or 65-80. Lowest 50 but that's for elementary school.
In the Netherlands, as far as I know high school and university all have that 55 is either enough as is, or rounded to 60 (well, 5.5->6). If you're graduating high school, the type of high school decides how many 5s and 4s are allowed and under what circumstances, to still graduate.

Double-page supporter
That isn't what it means. Extremely competitive highschools in Japan can have as few as 10% of applicants pass their entrance exams. However, they also need to fill in their quota of students so they don't become underpopulated. So if a school has a quota of 100 new students and out of 1000 applicants 908 fail, they must somehow scrounge up 8 failures and prop them up to meet the quota.
True true, but then again if Japan had more students maybe they would have more than 1000 applicants and there will be more student that would pass the test.
I mean with those score, I don't think the school in this manga is counted as an extremely competitive highschool.
But don't worry, I get your point.

Dex-chan lover
In the Netherlands, as far as I know high school and university all have that 55 is either enough as is, or rounded to 60 (well, 5.5->6). If you're graduating high school, the type of high school decides how many 5s and 4s are allowed and under what circumstances, to still graduate.
Yes, this is generally similar to the situation in Japan. A passing grade of 30 might get you off the remedial class, but to graduate you'd usually still have to get above 40.

Dex-chan lover
Seems like a very mean dynamic that instead of making the tests simpler/easier, they’d rather keep the gap deep and just pass people with low scores.

That can’t be a good mentality for students, especially since it seems they have that “scoreboard” at the end of big tests.
That’s an easy way to develop a lot ego issues.
To understand the context, you have to realize that Japanese schools have a very robust and individually-focused career counseling system. The system as it was originally designed was meant to identify which students could succeed academically and root out those who couldn't. In Japan the income gap between educated and trained workers is not as big as it is in the US and even other places in Asia, so directing students to get jobs out of highschool or enter vocational training is still considered socially "fair". The idea is not to push everyone into higher education where the country might then end up with large numbers of unemployable barely-qualified graduates.

Also, the ego issues are worse not for the kids at the bottom but at the top. Japan has their infamous soto-uchi culture where the nail that sticks out gets hammered down. The kids averaging 30 aren't those nails. That's also why Japanese career counseling is geared to protect the high-achievers and get the average kids off their backs.

There's actually a manga called Yumenashi-sensei that deals with this issue. Recommended if you want a slightly deeper understanding of the situation.

Dex-chan lover
Also, the ego issues are worse not for the kids at the bottom but at the top. Japan has their infamous soto-uchi culture where the nail that sticks out gets hammered down. The kids averaging 30 aren't those nails. That's also why Japanese career counseling is geared to protect the high-achievers and get the average kids off their backs.

Yeah, I commented with the ones at the top in mind, I think it kinda ties with some of the hikikomori crisis, considering a lot of them are people who failed expectations once out of school.

At least speaking anecdotally from documentaries I’ve seen.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I commented with the ones at the top in mind, I think it kinda ties with some of the hikikomori crisis, considering a lot of them are people who failed expectations once out of school.

At least speaking anecdotally from documentaries I’ve seen.
I usually watch my Japanese documentaries on Crunchyroll... :giggle:

Wait, this chapter didn't have any cover art like the previous chapters? what happens?

Users who are viewing this thread