Yakudatazu Skill ni Jinsei o Sosogikomi 25-nen, Imasara Saikyou no Boukentan Midori Kashi no Akira - Ch. 36

Dex-chan lover
I shouldn't be as annoyed as I am about them using cast iron for weapons when they are actually using fantasy materials like the special red iron from that river that clearly had some magic stuff going on. I am still very much annoyed by the casting vs forging thing for weapon quality whenever it shows up in fantasy series.

Dex-chan lover
I swear tae fuck, if it's a katana I'm going to maim.
Unless this chapter was grossly mistranslated, it's 100% gonna be. It's such a shame real katanas are so completely overshadowed by these masturbatory fantasies about them.

I shouldn't be as annoyed as I am about them using cast iron for weapons when they are actually using fantasy materials like the special red iron from that river that clearly had some magic stuff going on. I am still very much annoyed by the casting vs forging thing for weapon quality whenever it shows up in fantasy series.
Pray tell where else you saw this braindead plotpoint. This author tried to explain it away using a silly reason but I'm curious how others handled it.

Dex-chan lover
Pray tell where else you saw this braindead plotpoint. This author tried to explain it away using a silly reason but I'm curious how others handled it.
The series that annoyed me the most was probably The Sacred Blacksmith because it was just used as some nonsense as part of why the mc's swords were better, without a good reason for cast iron being used in the first place. I've seen it used a few times like this where it's not really that notable, and with less of an explanation given, so I don't remember the series those belong to.

I do remember one example from Yoku Wakaranai Keredo Isekai ni Tensei Shiteita You Desu, where it is just a single throwaway line.
Afterwards, I was also shown a selection of short swords. I checked them with my Appraisal skill, but frankly my own short sword was much better. These were probably mass produced through casting.

The one I remember the most clearly though would be Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita, though I don't think it has come up in the manga yet. The process in that is to used is by doing things like grinding up monster bones to add to the metal, and the magic from those strengthen the material when it is cast. However the only reason for doing it is that it is quick and easy to produce a functional blade that way.

Dex-chan lover
Red iron is likely referring to tamahagane in it's unforged form, as the iron used in japanese katanas of the warring states era were made from low grade iron sand steel which before forging could have a reddish hue.
That said red swords did exist from the period, for example there is a muramasa in a museum that was red lacquered, though it wasn't a red steel in itself.
Unless this chapter was grossly mistranslated, it's 100% gonna be. It's such a shame real katanas are so completely overshadowed by these masturbatory fantasies about them.
Kind of a half truth, katana's are some of the best cutters you can buy, if using modern steels like spring steel, but lack alot of the flexibility of western swords.
Of course, stabbing katana's kinda suck.

Dex-chan lover
I'm confused. Tooru is questioning about the price of the red iron sword being so high, but then immediately agrees to spend even more money on a white steel sword if he provides the materials. It's been a long time since I was in school, last I checked, 30 coins is more than 24 coins. Why even bother with the dialogue if he's going to completely ignore the discussion anyway?

Supporter
I'm confused. Tooru is questioning about the price of the red iron sword being so high, but then immediately agrees to spend even more money on a white steel sword if he provides the materials. It's been a long time since I was in school, last I checked, 30 coins is more than 24 coins. Why even bother with the dialogue if he's going to completely ignore the discussion anyway?
He just remarked that it is expensive. Not if he is willing to buy or not.

Dex-chan lover
he is investing on a much higher grade/stronger material for his weapon. seeing as he is starting to climb the adventurer rank and tackling stronger monsters, he will need better and stronger gears than one made of normal iron.

Dex-chan lover

He's basically commenting about the price difference between a cast vs forged sword made of the same material. Since forged takes more time and effort to make. the price ended up being 3x but the forge is of higher quality, more durable, and can maintain a sharper edge.

On page 18, Tooru understood the meaning behind the comment about using white steel. That bringing the materials will reduce the price of a new sword. And the blacksmith confirmed it by saying instead of paying 36, he can get it for 30 if he provided the mats.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I swear tae fuck, if it's a katana I'm going to maim.
The first one he tried out was going for that, but the second one looked more like a saber. It's probably wishful thinking on my part, though, because sabers and cutlasses are my favorite style of sword.

Users who are viewing this thread