Call of the Night - Vol. 20 Ch. 200 - Final Night: And Then

Dex-chan lover
tl;dr Your actual problem is about more than the ending itself despite your making it a scapegoat, you misidentified the essence of the manga, the mangaka already gave herself a diegetic out from having to hard-commit to explaining lore one-fifth through the serialization, you don't even know the answers to questions explicitly answered in the narrative, and you're not cool nor refined just because you dislike things-- nor am I a... "simp" (???) just for explaining why I like or am otherwise okay with given writing decisions.

You also can't answer why lore answers weren't rushed out if the ending was a rush job.
They weren’t rushed out because the author didn’t care. They stopped caring so they rushed the ending.

I don’t understand why you have this weird belief that if you rush the ending you’re suddenly going to answer every question in a rushed way. It’s a child’s logic.

It was a bad ending that was rushed out because the author either got bored or stopped caring. You can try and weasel some dumb “you don’t actually mean that” as a way of validating your pristine view, but it’s still a bad ending the author rushed out.

Dex-chan lover
I don’t understand why you have this weird belief that if you rush the ending you’re suddenly going to answer every question in a rushed way. It’s a child’s logic.
Because the only way you can demonstrate that there was a "rushing" is if there's an obvious enough effort to do something that's being constricted by time and space. Here, that means that there had to be an attempt to answer the questions you thought needed answering.

And there isn't.

This is why, in my larger response, I didn't just ask why the answers for questions (supposedly) set up for answering weren't rushed out in this chapter-- I also asked why Kotoyama spent time having Nazuna interview a vampire in a similar situation as hers only to reiterate the mystery instead of using that circumstance to definitively answer one way or the other. Even when Nazuna is struggling against her instincts in this chapter, she can't say for sure whether it's her or Kou that will die if she sucks his blood... and that ambiguity is never definitively addressed.

That isn't a rush job. That's an intentional refusal to answer a mystery, in line with the limitations of the characters and-- particularly-- what was established one-fifth of the way into this narrative: vampires have a poor understanding of themselves on account of their prioritizing "living normally".

It was a bad ending that was rushed out because the author either got bored or stopped caring. You can try and weasel some dumb “you don’t actually mean that” as a way of validating your pristine view, but it’s still a bad ending the author rushed out.
I'm not saying "you don't actually mean that"-- I'm saying "you're misidentifying the origins of the problems you have". I'm saying that it'd make more sense for you to dislike more than the ending, because what you complain about-- when it isn't completely off-base-- is the fruit of more structural features in the narrative.

Before the question of "was this a good or bad ending", I'm telling you that your argumentation is bad.

Last edited:
bro i made so cool theories in head but ok fuck it and even timeskip, i'd be in harmony with this ending forgiving everything if kotoyama showed them REALLY together if its open ending with good note. i dont see there Kou as her man, he just acts like a good friend, bro even didn't learn how to show affection to his woman in 3 years. it'd be good if they would be shown like a pair without any further looks on it, if he'd say to her that he loves her too in the end and some hugs/kisses/etc and some more certainty on that thing when he said now he'll control her vampire instincts, like, ok, but does this mean he take her with him without questions? if no then why there's 100th unused thing that he learnt martial arts to control her and then just leaved her in ireland?

I don't think it was remotely close to perfect, and some people probably feel like it has axed vibes. I think that although further explanation of the concepts would be nice, I don't think it's really needed.

I wouldn't say that it's bad to have an open ending either. I think if you were into this just for the relationship aspect you missed the point.

My interpretation is that vampires and nazuna are simply, beyond human. They're a representation of freedom, those hours in the night you feel free. Kou winding up continuously chasing nazuna makes sense to me personally, and where it ends doesn't really matter much as the fact that he's still searching for that feeling he gets, in that perfect time of day.

He honestly got a happy ending, he can turn vamp mode on to experience the night like he wanted, and he can live a normal life during the day without that feeling he had in the beginning that led to him becoming nocturnal

Dex-chan lover
Hey that's a pretty good ending. Enjoyable stylish chapter with great panels.

I assume the worst but this was much better than what I was expecting. Honestly like three time better than Dagashi's ending.

Made an account just to put some of my thoughts into this ending.

I watched the anime a few days ago and loved so much this universe and the main couple that, as soon as I knew the manga just had finished, I could not help but read it to know how their story ends. And I have to be honest here, I am really glad that I had the opportunity to read everything in one go, because if I'd been following the manga for 4 years, I would be even more frustrated than I am right now.

Given this, did I like this ending? No, I would like to see at least a little more affection in their reuniting. C'mon, not a single hug? A kiss? Not even a "I missed you so much" with some tears? What the author was thinking? Now, it was a good ending for the two? I mean, a good ending for Nazuna and Kou on their perpesctive? I believe it was, as things such as hugs, kisses and even sex is inevitable to happen between them from now on, we were just denied to see any glimpse of it. Denied that little shot of dopamine most of us wanted and needed.

Also, we have to remember Kou now is still just a 17-years-old teenager, he still has PLENTY to live and learn (without mentioning his half-vampire status, which makes a more than reasonable assumption that this factor at least slows his ageing at some degree). Furthermore, as a child, he pretty much bested every single other vampire he fought, and even Kiku, an elder vampire, was concerned of the idea of fighting him. Now he has even more control of his power, has combat-training, and the detective skills from Miss. Detective. He became a league of his own, probably one of the most powerful characters in this universe as far as we know.

And now that they both acknowledge their love for each other, and are willing to live together forever, they will have much time to figure out what they are, what means to be a half-vampire and a born vampire, and if it has any weight on their relationship. This ending is like a whole new beginning for them, to have new adventures, to meet new people and of course, to love each other.

But again, I really wish we had a little glimpse of this future, I think the reader deserved this, to see them as a true loving couple for once. That is why I am not satisfied with it, unless there is more to come, which we can only guess if it will ever happen. But at least I am glad and relieved it did not end in stragedy, which I was really afraid of.

PS: Screw that Hokkaido arc, too much time wasted on Seki and Kiku. It is alright to develop side stories, but invest so much time on a couple that I cared so little instead of the main one? Especially when you only have 200 chapters to explore it? Really?

Last edited:
They weren’t rushed out because the author didn’t care. They stopped caring so they rushed the ending.

Frankie my boy, if I can call you that.
Frankly I don't understand why you are such a female dog?

I for one didn't like the ending either, but why are you such an animal about it?
People can disagree with you, you don't have to be triggered by it. This is the issue with the youth today, their feelings are so easily hurt
I wouldn't dare speculate about an author's motivation on their ending, because it makes me sound like an uninformed twat.
You don't hear me say Shakespeare lost interest by the end of Richard the third because I dislike the ending.
I just whisper it when I'm drunk.

Dex-chan lover
Frankie my boy, if I can call you that.
Frankly I don't understand why you are such a female dog?

I for one didn't like the ending either, but why are you such an animal about it?
People can disagree with you, you don't have to be triggered by it. This is the issue with the youth today, their feelings are so easily hurt
I wouldn't dare speculate about an author's motivation on their ending, because it makes me sound like an uninformed twat.
You don't hear me say Shakespeare lost interest by the end of Richard the third because I dislike the ending.
I just whisper it when I'm drunk.

Because I spent four years reading a manga and got a shit ending.

I had just got married when this manga started and now I have two kids. In the period it took for me to have two kids, teach them to walk, talk, and start school the author could only come up with a half assed ending for a manga with an insane amount of potential.

It’s not that I’m a bitch, it’s that you’re a coward when it comes to critiquing things. Oh cowardly crybaby, I knew thee well.

Double-page supporter
Author really took the neutral route ... so bittersweet...

Not as bad as it could be.
But dang, he didnt finish a LOT of things. Felt so sudden...

Aarrghh i'll miss it. I liked this. WHYYYY DID AUTHOR MAKE THIS??? AAAAAAA

but nice quote at the end. BUT AAAAAAAAAAA

Double-page supporter
Either way.. was a great ride! Loved the characters, the comedy dinamic. I reeally like the art, the disposition of the painels.. How the author could play with the atmosphere well. I was really curious for Akira's development, or just Nazuna and Kou... but yeah i'll have to suck it up.

Sadly, years pass and I find less and less cool manga to read weekly. And now yofukashi is gone. dang. Thanks guys for the good discussions :)

Double-page supporter
i hate seeing this go. i do have complaints though. we never got confirmation that turning while the vampire is in love kills. to my knowledge, what we saw was that they died when the sun came up and it felt kinda ambiguous as to what killed them. i could just be misremembering but im fairly sure thats what happened.
and this ambiguous thing felt SO proposital. Like the "Uhh indeed its weird tha I'm still half vampire, but yeah whatever!"

Dex-chan lover
Mangaka isn't even going to try to wrap up those dangling plot threads and character arcs, huh? I enjoyed the ride... well, I enjoyed parts of the ride... but this wasn't worth it.

Man I binged this the past week I wished there was more while the chapter itself wasn’t bad but it wasn’t conclusive I hope there’s a sequel series

Users who are viewing this thread