You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
I tried purchasing a few books through the links but they don't ship to australia. I had to find some other links.

If i could buy manga translated in my country for reasonable prices i would, but its all import shit and costs waaaay to much to bother.

Fed-Kun's army
I bought some mangas from CDJapan but shipping's expensive so I don't do it often.

Darn you got me..

I never reply to these but I shan't offend the gods of clickbait.

I usually buy a ton of manga whenever I'm in Japan, I've been lucky enough to been able to visit a couple times over the past few years.
I tend to buy a mix of manga that I've already read online and some that just catch my eye. If I really like a series I'll try to get a sequential collection of its volumes, for example, I own One punch man 1 through 15.
Aside from that I very infrequently order from CDjapan, although only in bulks of 4 as that provides the most favourable shipping.

All in all, I think I've spent a couple hundred euros on manga as I own just shy of 100 volumes. It'd obviously have been a lot more expensive to order them all online, as most manga only cost between 300-500 yen in Japan and I provided my own shipping :^). I live in Western Europe hence the shipping price is far from negligible

As for what I do with them.. I try to read them. It vastly depends on the type of manga but I try to read them as reading practice, as well as for entertainment.
The initial reason I even started reading manga is because I was learning Japanese, I really liked the concept of kanji.. still do actually, and wanted some good reading practice material.
I slowly toiled away at learning all of the jōyō kanji and have succeeded in completing them, however, the slang and colloquialisms in a lot of manga continue to pose a challenge;
a welcome challenge though.

Manga has the great quality that a lot of different types of Japanese are used in it. Textbooks and news articles are mostly very formal and perhaps even stilted in comparison.

Lastly, I'd certainly be interested in what releases are coming up; although that might make me order more frequently from CDjapan.. and I'm not sure if that'd be a good thing for my wallet :^)))

I really don't know how to purchase books and stuff online and how delivery works so I don't
use that but I'm willing to spend money to support author.
Though I buy book on play book at google, since it is translated there.
The ones I have bought are UchiMusume vol 1~8 , 80,000 gold(FUNA), Bakarina vol 1~4
and An Archdemon's Dilemma, I also bought one punch man.
Since google has not separated JP light novels as categories its quite hard to look around.

Personally, I dont use the links shown here because shipping to my country is pretty expensive. However, I usually pick up manga at the local bookstore and events like comiccon. I also ask people travelling abroad to buy certain manga for me

Usually I go to local bookstore, but now i looking more for novel/light novel than manga.

I fine with digital manga, and prefer for license web (like tappytoon, or mangaplus) as long as I can access it and easy payment method... (Still cant use paypall and credit card... But now pay with credit phone is available in my country)

Double-page supporter
I usually buy my manga from a local publisher website.
I always get an e-book version though since it's only cost me around $1.50 per volume.

I never followed the links here to buying sites, but I do buy them myself. I've checked them on Amazon JP but I didn't have a debit card until a little while ago, so I just get them at my local Kinokuniya bookstore. It's not too near from my house so I go there once every few months, and I only get copies of my favorite series. My spendings so far excluding illustrations books and novels is around 360 USD. I can read Japanese, and if I can't, I would probably keep the plastic wrapping intact and just put it on my bookshelf for display and collection. By new volumes, you mean translated or the original in Japan? I guess both would be convenient to have, but I usually just check official websites and Twitter for new releases.

I use bookwalker occasionally. I avoid the Amazon links cause I don't need weebshit showing up in 'suggestions' when I'm buying normie things on Amazon.

I live in a country where nobody ever visit any of those online stores..
Even though there are 260 million people living in here..

Dex-chan lover
Usually I only buy in English, but for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, I simply had to buy the Shinsouban release from Japan. Going back and deciphering kanji and stuff has gotten me a bit closer to being able to read, but it's quite the long road. I haven't bought more manga lately, but having the resource there is handy if I ever feel that passion again.

Aggregator gang
It's hard for us who don't speak japanese, the number of mangas in a local barnes and noble can be counted in one hand, it's not even a completed series. Only buying it online english site like funimation or crunchyroll, or something is feasible but crazy expensive. I really envy the Japanese where they can read all they want and I'm really grateful to translators. It's a shame that not a lot get's translated anymore, all i see are isekais or 4 komas, it's even worst for the novel community :/
I'm trying to learn japanese but it's not easy, it'll take years by the time im old lol

If a manga I follow and still read gets an official localization, I'll most likely pre order. Novels as well. Latest new series to buy is "no guns life." Disappointed with some translations, but I'll support the official releases regardless. Been buying for nearly 20 years, not gonna stop now.

I have followed the links. In addition I have bought easily thousands of dollars of English and Japanese language releases.

For the Japanese ones, they are just as a show of support and because I enjoy collecting them. I want more cute yuri fluff, so I vote with my wallet.

Group Leader
If I really love the story, I'll buy the physical books on a physical store.
Never purchased books without knowing what's inside anymore, since I bought alot of very bad comics back then.

As for the links, never bothered to buy from overseas because the price is like 5x my country's tankobon price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread