Your favorite old ass RPG?

for PS FF 9 and Suikoden.

for PC: RO, RF Online, Cabal, Seal, Luna Celestial, etc
2000'ish RPG if you consider that as old....

for PC most likely was from Lytogame portal game server, their RPG choice is good shit.

@bigtiddyoneesan
Perfect. Just keep in mind the first game has a pretty slow start until the 3rd chapter where it starts to build momentum. I've played many games but never did I sunk in 140 hours in two weeks in a single series.

Oh and there's also 9 games divided in 3 subs: Sky, Zero/Ao, and Cold Steel. They're interconnected and you gotta play them in order to fully enjoy the story. Cheers.

Dex-chan lover
@Criscore
Ye, I saw the other games on Steam when searching. Wasn't sure if they all took place in the same universe, but I guess that's the case. Heck, I might as well get the first one now as it's only $20, and there might be a sale for the others while I'm playing that one. Hope the story's moving enough to make me cri evertim. Cheers m8ey.

Gonna echo Chrono Trigger, but also
I have some pretty fond memories of going over to a friends house and we'd take turns playing Grandia 2, otherwise like, Saga Frontier 2, your Final Fantasy 7 and 8, and I think it was Legend of Legaia that was basically a turn based fighting game? I got Septerra Core on steam, but haven't gotten around to giving it a go.

Ah shit, buddy, Jade Cocoon.
And if we're considering early 2000's then I'm throwing in Ring of Red.

@Criscore Heard many good things about that series. Only ever played the first Cold Steel (didn't finish it and lost my save sadly) but it was really good.

Otherwise, mine have to be Chrono Cross, Suikoden 3 and Lunar Legend. Both Chrono Cross and Suikoden 3 are largely underated compared to their predecessor but I really liked those game.

>"old ass RPG"
>everybody names games from the last two decades

I'm gonna go with Slash'em. A game so great that it will probably never be finished (in development for 33 years now, if you count the development of the nethack version it's based on) and you need to read the source code to find the true ending.

Dex-chan lover
xenogears and front mission is actually pretty good and is on PS1

Arcanum
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale
Wizardry
Ultima
Vampire the Redemption
Planescape Torment

Traditional RPG? Final Fantasy V by far
Non-traditional RPGs? I'd probably have to give it to either of the first two Langrissers

Contributor
The original Pools of Radiance series on Commodore 64.

Also, for those who recognize the name, I even mapped Telengard, all 50 levels of 200x200 grid squares. Took FOREVER!

Users who are viewing this thread