Yuusha ni Zenbu Ubawareta Ore wa Yuusha no Hahaoya to Party wo Kumimashita! - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
Putting aside 1st milf that got drugged and sold into slavery, the others' backgrounds seem kind of silly. Aren't they all top rank in strength? Less than 30 worldwide apparently. And yet they do nothing to change their situation. Author better have some very good reasoning for this.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, this was really graphic. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but it caught me offguard. Did it always have the "erotica" tag?

Power Uploader
LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO, CATCH THEM ALL LIKE POKEMON
Also
NOOOOOOOOOOO ONLY 4 CHAPTERS AND THIS IS A MONTHLY MANGA TOO

Dex-chan lover
For those wondering who Shizuka was calling when she said "Miruna", the writing in front of the woman's face says "Celes' Mama", so yeah, she is apologizing to his mother, her friend who is already resting in peace, for taking over her son.

In regards to the detail of Shizuko explaining the situation with the 3 wives which doesn't exist in the WN (at least, not upon this point), is likely just an extra to hasten the situation a bit.

I'm guessing that in the next chapter we may have some perspective of the Hero's party.
There is a small "what if" chapter that considers the 2 not going to their hometown,
the Hero's party comes to meet Celes, he finds out his mother is living with him and is already pregnant.

One thing that I hope may not have caused a misunderstanding is that Sayo, who was described as a "Household slave" is not a Slave like Shizuko became (with tatoo and stuff), it's just using the colloquial language that she is the housewife, and the husband doesn't really care about her anymore.

Dex-chan lover
I kinda hope
they remove that creepy replacing the wives arc with the teen dopplegangers for the ex-husbands

I'll still never get why these ultra powerful women adventurers let themselves be controlled like they have been. It makes no sense when they are more powerful then the husbands. Also theres 4 of them in the same city at the time too.

Putting aside 1st milf that got drugged and sold into slavery, the others' backgrounds seem kind of silly. Aren't they all top rank in strength? Less than 30 worldwide apparently. And yet they do nothing to change their situation. Author better have some very good reasoning for this.

I don't know about the watsonian, in-universe reason but the doyalist meta-reason seems to be that there's still a not-insignificant portion of Japanese society (Which seems to overlap to an extent with the mangaka profession) that pushes the idea that "a woman's happiness is being a housewife" and that a good and proper woman should always seek to cast of whatever's going on in their lives to settle down into a rut as a docile and submissive wife. I think it also combines with the general Japanese sense for not rocking the boat or making a scene and instead just shouldering abuse and mistreatment in a way that doesn't call attention to it lest it make them look bad. Even with this series having the MC say the husband is a scumbag, the FMC still immediately jumps from accepting all of her husband's abuse to devoting herself to the MC in a similar way that just has the upside of not being full of trash mistreatment.

It happens far more frequently in manga that I'd prefer.

Dex-chan lover
Uhhh to clarify some stuff on the confused people they aren't the MC's mother. none of them are. They are the mothers of his previous team.

so think of it as a "i banged your mom" situation in a literal sense.
I don't think anyone thought otherwise, especially if they shown 4 mothers...

Dex-chan lover
I don't know about the watsonian, in-universe reason but the doyalist meta-reason seems to be that there's still a not-insignificant portion of Japanese society (Which seems to overlap to an extent with the mangaka profession) that pushes the idea that "a woman's happiness is being a housewife" and that a good and proper woman should always seek to cast of whatever's going on in their lives to settle down into a rut as a docile and submissive wife. I think it also combines with the general Japanese sense for not rocking the boat or making a scene and instead just shouldering abuse and mistreatment in a way that doesn't call attention to it lest it make them look bad. Even with this series having the MC say the husband is a scumbag, the FMC still immediately jumps from accepting all of her husband's abuse to devoting herself to the MC in a similar way that just has the upside of not being full of trash mistreatment.

It happens far more frequently in manga that I'd prefer.
I'm not sure that world is Japan but some fantasy D&D thing, not 100% sure tho', Japan is kinda weird.

Dex-chan lover
Well, this was a real redemption chapter for the trolling at the end of chapter 1.
... of course is blatant that they will not just "and lived happily forever after" from the next chapter. There is too many shitty husbands to cuck. And maybe some little revenge to take.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not sure that world is Japan but some fantasy D&D thing, not 100% sure tho', Japan is kinda weird.

I know, that's why I said it's the out-of-universe, meta reason. The world isn't Japan, but it is a work written by a Japanese author who is most familiar with Japanese culture and will obviously lay their own experiences and expectations and cultural relativity over the fantasy world they craft. It's why we get all these vaguely Eurocentric-style fantasy worlds (heavily influenced by the fact that Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy seminal runs mostly focused on stuff that was cribbed from high European-influenced fantasy like D&D and Tolkein) that still run on very Japanese ideals and social constructs (like extreme deference to authority, desire not to stand out, idea that hard work is the purest expression of spirit and will solve all problems, etc.)

So while the world itself isn't Japan, it's going to be flavored heavily by what the author considers normal and understandable to the audience, which is Japan. If this were a western work I would expect that the wives would not stand for being controlled/submitted by their husbands and would strike back out on their own to get the respect they deserve. But a Japanese author looks at that sort of behavior as being very self-serving and contrary to the quiet, serene grace of simply accepting all the bad things that happen in life with stoic resolve and unwavering discipline especially when they are wives of allegedly successful husbands and belonging to a successful household is of the utmost significance. We look at that as wrong to our eyes and values, insisting it's a sign of weakness to accept being constrained and put down like that, but a Japanese audience will instead see it as a positive sign of strength to endure everything without breaking.

• Helpful
Reactions: GK
Dex-chan lover
I know, that's why I said it's the out-of-universe, meta reason. The world isn't Japan, but it is a work written by a Japanese author who is most familiar with Japanese culture and will obviously lay their own experiences and expectations and cultural relativity over the fantasy world they craft. It's why we get all these vaguely Eurocentric-style fantasy worlds (heavily influenced by the fact that Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy seminal runs mostly focused on stuff that was cribbed from high European-influenced fantasy like D&D and Tolkein) that still run on very Japanese ideals and social constructs (like extreme deference to authority, desire not to stand out, idea that hard work is the purest expression of spirit and will solve all problems, etc.)

So while the world itself isn't Japan, it's going to be flavored heavily by what the author considers normal and understandable to the audience, which is Japan. If this were a western work I would expect that the wives would not stand for being controlled/submitted by their husbands and would strike back out on their own to get the respect they deserve. But a Japanese author looks at that sort of behavior as being very self-serving and contrary to the quiet, serene grace of simply accepting all the bad things that happen in life with stoic resolve and unwavering discipline especially when they are wives of allegedly successful husbands and belonging to a successful household is of the utmost significance. We look at that as wrong to our eyes and values, insisting it's a sign of weakness to accept being constrained and put down like that, but a Japanese audience will instead see it as a positive sign of strength to endure everything without breaking.
As an example of your argument,

It is just hearsay, but assuming it is true,
Yhere was a point during Naruto where Sasuke was very unpopular in the west... but very popular in Japan, and for the very same reason:
His obsession with avenging his family, going against all rules of the society and even leaving behind his friends.
Because in there? Respect for your family trumps everything. While outside there, he was throwing everyone that loved and supported him for a group of people that, apparently, mostly did not even seem to care for him until his superstar brother started showing signs of being against them

• Helpful
Reactions: GK
Dex-chan lover
As an example of your argument,

It is just hearsay, but assuming it is true,
Yhere was a point during Naruto where Sasuke was very unpopular in the west... but very popular in Japan, and for the very same reason:
His obsession with avenging his family, going against all rules of the society and even leaving behind his friends.
Because in there? Respect for your family trumps everything. While outside there, he was throwing everyone that loved and supported him for a group of people that, apparently, mostly did not even seem to care for him until his superstar brother started showing signs of being against them

Yeah, this is exactly it. The same behavior that the west sees as self-destructive, ignorant, and ridiculous is viewed through the Japanese lens as representing the peak of filial piety (loyalty and binding devotion to one's family). IIRC the author eventually had to tell people that the point of Sasuke was that he did do terrible things that should not be easily forgiven and he was supposed to be something of a perversion of those ideals taken to the extreme, but it didn't change the fact that his extreme focus on avenging his family is treated as a great quality even though that same family cared little for him compared to his more prestigious brother and was totally willing to execute a coup against the village that would've killed a lot of innocent people just so that they could grab power.

The same thing exists in Bleach too. Lt. Hinamori was exceedingly popular in Japan because her unwavering devotion to Capt. Aizen was considered to make her a paragon of traditional value, especially traditional values for women. She identified him as powerful and worthy of her affection and latched on to the point that she rather easily ended up being manipulated by him into turning against her childhood friend on little more than his say-so in spite of the fact that Aizen very visibly tried to kill her. that sort of devotion is considered noble and pure (to an extent). meanwhile in the west she was mostly hated for being a stupid, gullible naive idiot who sides with the guy that blatantly ran her through with a sword over her lifelong friend on the flimsiest of justifications and refuses to listen to reason even when evidence is staring her in the face.

The Legend of Zelda games also get something similar with the side character Tingle. He's loved in Japan and gets spin-off games and frequent recurrences in the series because he's seen as cute and whimsical. In the west he tends to be looked at as off-putting and annoying at best and like some sort of creepy pervert weirdo at worst.

Tingle is actually the namesake of TVTropes' examination of this tendency: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericansHateTingle

Users who are viewing this thread