Zaako Zako Zako Zako Sensei - Ch. 28

Dex-chan lover
a true bastion of self control
msedge_3Ruv7QpwUT.png

ty for the tl

Dex-chan lover
blud thinks she's Rin, forreal

Also: today I learned that Sasha Blouse was called "potato girl" simultaneously because of her potato-related incident but also because she was actively characterized as a country bumpkin.

Speaking of what I get for not knowing Japanese...

Jesus those jokes those girls said. Pretty dark. Like joking that your teacher is a pedo seems like a line you shouldn't cross.
The translation notes imply that "pedo" was rendered from ロリコン ("lolicon"), as a troll.

That brings up something general I've been mulling: I'm increasingly lost on concretely understanding this word, especially when it comes to translation. I'm sure that, at the least, in many of the circumstances in which it's used in Japanese pop culture it obviously doesn't carry the same weight as "pedophile", and seemingly encompasses something of a spectrum of affinity to fictional characters with a "loli" design. This need not be sexual, but can be; in this case, for example, it'd be apt to translate it as "pedo", given the context. Similar terms like "brocon" or "siscon" also appear to be used along this kind of spectrum.

I'm reminded of some of the volume omakes for Takano's Watashi no Shounen, where she introduces one of her editors as a self-avowed shotacon (something rendered as "shota freak" in Vertical Comics' translation). It's pretty obvious from how it's written about (and the fact that it's written about at all), that even though her devotion is directed towards real pop idols, said editor's not a pedophile.

I think the core of my lack of clarity is a lack of cultural familiarity. When I see a character call someone else a "lolicon" without enough context for it (e.g. the accuser or accused is an otaku), I'm reminded of how the term "tsundere" was coined by consumers to describe a certain character archetype before the term itself was explicitly used by characters in these stories-- it feels like a metanarrative intrusion, like if you had a fourth century Coptic monk remark on the "childhood friend" trope. I'm disinclined to think that Japanese culture wouldn't have a strictly serious, sex-neutral, and regularly used term for no-shit pedophiles, and I'm also disinclined to think that ロリコン is that term but that the otaku subculture throws the word around because they don't put much gravity in the term.

(Also, I don't mean to bury the lede, but I've generally found it difficult to talk about this with other English-speakers, regardless of whether they're pro- or anti-loli.)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
According to a form she signed when buying a gun she's not currently and has never been a drug user
Wait, firearms can be legally purchased in Japan in this universe? And by middle school aged mesugakis , some of whom seem borderline yandere/psycho?!

Sensei is doomed...

• meguuusad
Reactions: GK
Dex-chan lover
blud thinks she's Rin, forreal

Also: today I learned that Sasha Blouse was called "potato girl" simultaneously because of her potato-related incident but also because she was actively characterized as a country bumpkin.

Speaking of what I get for not knowing Japanese...

The translation notes imply that "pedo" was rendered from ロリコン ("lolicon"), as a troll.

That brings up something general I've been mulling: I'm increasingly lost on concretely understanding this word, especially when it comes to translation. I'm sure that, at the least, in many of the circumstances in which it's used in Japanese pop culture it obviously doesn't carry the same weight as "pedophile", and seemingly encompasses something of a spectrum of affinity to fictional characters with a "loli" design. This need not be sexual, but can be; in this case, for example, it'd be apt to translate it as "pedo", given the context. Similar terms like "brocon" or "siscon" also appear to be used along this kind of spectrum.

I'm reminded of some of the volume omakes for Takano's Watashi no Shounen, where she introduces one of her editors as a self-avowed shotacon (something rendered as "shota freak" in Vertical Comics' translation). It's pretty obvious from how it's written about (and the fact that it's written about at all), that even though her devotion is directed towards real pop idols, said editor's not a pedophile.

I think the core of my lack of clarity is a lack of cultural familiarity. When I see a character call someone else a "lolicon" without enough context for it (e.g. the accuser or accused is an otaku), I'm reminded of how the term "tsundere" was coined by consumers to describe a certain character archetype before the term itself was explicitly used by characters in these stories-- it feels like a metanarrative intrusion, like if you had a fourth century Coptic monk remark on the "childhood friend" trope. I'm disinclined to think that Japanese culture wouldn't have a strictly serious, sex-neutral, and regularly used term for no-shit pedophiles, and I'm also disinclined to think that ロリコン is that term but that the otaku subculture throws the word around because they don't put much gravity in the term.

(Also, I don't mean to bury the lede, but I've generally found it difficult to talk about this with other English-speakers, regardless of whether they're pro- or anti-loli.)
I don't think you need to think too hard about it. Just use context clues to figure out what a person means when the word is being used.

It really depends on where it's being used because in general the definition is just young looking or young girl. So using it to describe what your type of anime girl you like vs using it to describe what type of girl you're into will convey different reactions and meanings.

Users who are viewing this thread