Zaako Zako Zako Zako Sensei - Ch. 28

Dex-chan lover
Kitsuregawa could give Shirai a run for her money in the angel department if she tried a little bit.

Group Leader
I don't think you need to think too hard about it. Just use context clues to figure out what a person means when the word is being used.

It really depends on where it's being used because in general the definition is just young looking or young girl. So using it to describe what your type of anime girl you like vs using it to describe what type of girl you're into will convey different reactions and meanings.
yeah that's the methodology I tried to apply here, she's talking about adult men who date middle schoolers so I think that falls more on the pedo side of the spectrum.

GK

Dex-chan lover
Yo Kaiser, on page 11 "need to" is written twice on the last panel (or perhance is on purpose and i don't get it :huh:).

1 Yen = 1 Cent is nice for quick conversions.
Thanks for TL.

Double-page supporter
blud thinks she's Rin, forreal

Also: today I learned that Sasha Blouse was called "potato girl" simultaneously because of her potato-related incident but also because she was actively characterized as a country bumpkin.

Speaking of what I get for not knowing Japanese...

The translation notes imply that "pedo" was rendered from ロリコン ("lolicon"), as a troll.

That brings up something general I've been mulling: I'm increasingly lost on concretely understanding this word, especially when it comes to translation. I'm sure that, at the least, in many of the circumstances in which it's used in Japanese pop culture it obviously doesn't carry the same weight as "pedophile", and seemingly encompasses something of a spectrum of affinity to fictional characters with a "loli" design. This need not be sexual, but can be; in this case, for example, it'd be apt to translate it as "pedo", given the context. Similar terms like "brocon" or "siscon" also appear to be used along this kind of spectrum.

I'm reminded of some of the volume omakes for Takano's Watashi no Shounen, where she introduces one of her editors as a self-avowed shotacon (something rendered as "shota freak" in Vertical Comics' translation). It's pretty obvious from how it's written about (and the fact that it's written about at all), that even though her devotion is directed towards real pop idols, said editor's not a pedophile.

I think the core of my lack of clarity is a lack of cultural familiarity. When I see a character call someone else a "lolicon" without enough context for it (e.g. the accuser or accused is an otaku), I'm reminded of how the term "tsundere" was coined by consumers to describe a certain character archetype before the term itself was explicitly used by characters in these stories-- it feels like a metanarrative intrusion, like if you had a fourth century Coptic monk remark on the "childhood friend" trope. I'm disinclined to think that Japanese culture wouldn't have a strictly serious, sex-neutral, and regularly used term for no-shit pedophiles, and I'm also disinclined to think that ロリコン is that term but that the otaku subculture throws the word around because they don't put much gravity in the term.

(Also, I don't mean to bury the lede, but I've generally found it difficult to talk about this with other English-speakers, regardless of whether they're pro- or anti-loli.)
If it's a troll it's a bad troll. Translating it through a Twitter filter

Dex-chan lover
Shirai and Yuki winning :meguupog:
image.png
image.png
The debate between unfair nihilism chaos rewards versus fair karmic justice outcomes rages on!

New girl's fun. Shallow, but fun.

I also like how on the first cover page, it looks like she's pointing at Sensei on the next page.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
"Even I think she's a scumbag"
Some self awareness goes a long way

Also damn, the poor guy was moved to tears by twin-tails being nice to him

Dex-chan lover
Sensei is two pushes from a school girl away from entering the yamcha pose bro

Dex-chan lover
blud thinks she's Rin, forreal

Also: today I learned that Sasha Blouse was called "potato girl" simultaneously because of her potato-related incident but also because she was actively characterized as a country bumpkin.

Speaking of what I get for not knowing Japanese...

The translation notes imply that "pedo" was rendered from ロリコン ("lolicon"), as a troll.

That brings up something general I've been mulling: I'm increasingly lost on concretely understanding this word, especially when it comes to translation. I'm sure that, at the least, in many of the circumstances in which it's used in Japanese pop culture it obviously doesn't carry the same weight as "pedophile", and seemingly encompasses something of a spectrum of affinity to fictional characters with a "loli" design. This need not be sexual, but can be; in this case, for example, it'd be apt to translate it as "pedo", given the context. Similar terms like "brocon" or "siscon" also appear to be used along this kind of spectrum.

I'm reminded of some of the volume omakes for Takano's Watashi no Shounen, where she introduces one of her editors as a self-avowed shotacon (something rendered as "shota freak" in Vertical Comics' translation). It's pretty obvious from how it's written about (and the fact that it's written about at all), that even though her devotion is directed towards real pop idols, said editor's not a pedophile.

I think the core of my lack of clarity is a lack of cultural familiarity. When I see a character call someone else a "lolicon" without enough context for it (e.g. the accuser or accused is an otaku), I'm reminded of how the term "tsundere" was coined by consumers to describe a certain character archetype before the term itself was explicitly used by characters in these stories-- it feels like a metanarrative intrusion, like if you had a fourth century Coptic monk remark on the "childhood friend" trope. I'm disinclined to think that Japanese culture wouldn't have a strictly serious, sex-neutral, and regularly used term for no-shit pedophiles, and I'm also disinclined to think that ロリコン is that term but that the otaku subculture throws the word around because they don't put much gravity in the term.

(Also, I don't mean to bury the lede, but I've generally found it difficult to talk about this with other English-speakers, regardless of whether they're pro- or anti-loli.)
For all intents and purpose, lolicon refers to a pedophile in Japan. The only thing is that in otaku circles as long as you keep to 2D you won't be stigmatized as hard. And maybe also that female lolicon/shotacon are less sternly looked at because Japanese society being misogynistic it doesn't really care. But yeah just like in the west, if you want people to hide their children when you come and cut you off, telling them you are a lolicon works as well as telling your western neighbors you are a pedophile.

Edit : they do have a word for pedophile in a more formal sense but it's a mouthful. Think about how even enough we have the word homosexual most people use shorter alternatives like homo or gay.

Users who are viewing this thread