Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 198 - Winter Nights Are Long

Dex-chan lover
hello, terminator t-1000, bip boop. i, as human, can only hate deeply everything abt what hurts me in this fucking doomed world.
Far from being a robot, I'd like to believe I'm a fairly normal person. I've had my fair share of struggles, I've had therapy, and I have come to peace with the reality that suffering is a part of life. But suffering is transient. If you hate it and fight it and deny it, you only prolong it. Even when it's constant, fighting it only causes greater suffering. Be present with it, accept it, and move forward.

I don't know what else to tell you man.

Dex-chan lover
IT'S THE SAME FUCKING GODDAMN ENDING AGAIN. FUCK THIS I AM NOT READING THE ENDING
Ignoring that we have two chapters until the ending? Looking through the last few chapters of Dagashi Kashi, you have to really reduce the ending of the aforementioned to something trivial before you can say that could even be the "exact same ending".

No idea about the Japanese, but I did look at the comments in a Korean site that uploads the raws earlier and it's 1:1 what's going on here.
Koreans are a whole different ballpark... I don't even mean to charge you with an unfair conflation of the Japanese and the Koreans (it is, but I don't want to rag on you about it)-- I really do just mean that you're engaging with a significantly different culture (to say nothing of their different comic book culture, based on my not-too-meager experiences with manhwa).

Something not being to your tastes doesn't mean it's bad. "Unsatisfying" endings are often the most true to life. Not everything works out or gets cleanly resolved. People can be wrong and make mistakes. Some people value those endings.

Authors ought to write for themselves, not their audience. Tattling to an editor because a story personally upsets you is low character, childish behavior. Frankly speaking, it's pathetic. If you can't handle it, if you don't like it, then drop the story and don't buy any merch. It obviously wasn't for you - move on with your life. Don't be vindictive that a story wasn't what you wanted it to be, and try to shackle an author's voice. It's Kotoyama's story to tell, and if nobody wants to hear it, she'll have no audience. If people do want to hear it, she will have an audience. Whining won't change that.
I think the most important thing, more than being "true to life", is "having a point". It remains to be seen what the ending even is, let alone whether it'll have a point that doesn't manage waste too much of the narrative. I'd be baffled if the ambiguities that Kotoyama herself drew attention to weren't addressed explicitly, because it would come off as using that plot device to the utmost to force this kind of separation despite those deliberate ambiguities (even if it makes sense that they wouldn't want to chance it).

Even then, where we're at right now is an adequate payoff inasmuch as it doesn't waste the narrative preceding it. Kou is a drastically changed person from the first chapter of this narrative because of the experiences he had since then, whether or not him and Nazuna get to [hug] and play video games for the rest of their lives (or un-lives). He learned how to connect with and empathize with others and society, and learned the value of doing so-- that was his problem presented at the beginning of the narrative. The vehicle of that learning happened to be his romance with Nazuna.

I'm inclined to think that the author and their steady audience owe the other their charity, when it comes to understanding. The author knows more about the innards of the work than their audience, and the audience is there to see what is ultimately the direct product of the author. As the kids say, they should "let [the author] cook", especially so that they can make the most out of their own investment in the work instead of just declaring that they wasted their time. Feedback is something to be listened to cautiously but intently rather than fully and blindly, not least of all because the average reader (of any fiction, I reckon) doesn't know how to adequately articulate their desires and criticisms on account of being unfamiliar with story crafting.

However, the audience is also spending time and money for the author's sake, so they can continue producing whatever it is they like enough to spend time and money on. The author can't forget that, and my understanding is that the editor is supposed to filter, interpret, and harmonize feedback with the author's intent in order to point the author in a direction that simultaneously maximizes as much as possible 1) the appeal of the work to its audience as well as 2) the author's intentions.

Kotoyama being able to "write for herself" comes off as a privilege she earned from well-executing something that happened to significantly appeal to both her and her target audience. And if you've stuck around for this long, I think it's more worth it to attempt to understand why the mangaka would wind down the story like this.

Last edited:
WHY GOD😭😭😭 PLEASE I DONT WANT THIS TO END SHITTER ASS ENDING PLEASEEE GOD NO

Aggregator gang
Holy shit - nine pages of angry douchebags wailing about an ending that hasn't even happened yet.

I'm just looking forward to seeing what's going to happen next. I have no idea, but after 198 chapters of quality storytelling, I fully expect it to be quality storytelling, whatever it is.

Dex-chan lover
God damnit this stupid fucking vampire manga made me cry two days in a row

Far from being a robot, I'd like to believe I'm a fairly normal person. I've had my fair share of struggles, I've had therapy, and I have come to peace with the reality that suffering is a part of life. But suffering is transient. If you hate it and fight it and deny it, you only prolong it. Even when it's constant, fighting it only causes greater suffering. Be present with it, accept it, and move forward.

I don't know what else to tell you man.
r u on strong sedatives? no matter how i try to have therapy or move forward im on the edge to burst and blow out when it comes to smth serious.

Dex-chan lover
r u on strong sedatives? no matter how i try to have therapy or move forward im on the edge to burst and blow out when it comes to smth serious.
No, I'm not on strong sedatives. I've just been driven to suicide but forced myself to live. That changes your perspective a bit. Once I started making plans, I realized that one of my family would find my body. I couldn't do that to them.

It took me maybe 7-9 years to not want to die. I felt like a dead man walking for most of it. I was empty. All the anger and anguish and despair that made me want to end it faded away and was replaced by numbness. Numbness was the only way to cope. But thankfully I found creative outlets and started meeting people, got a job and a routine, and all that helped. I also found a therapist who was a great fit for me and helped me learn how to process my negativity.

These days, I'm not afraid of death but don't actively desire it. I'm still fairly anhedonic, which makes it hard to do stuff sometimes, but I take modafinil and that helps with my motivation.

Despite my present struggles, I still wouldn't trade that horrible experience for a kinder past. It helped put a lot into perspective, and in some ways it made me a much tougher person.

If you're experiencing the level of emotional intensity you describe, it may be worth visiting a psychiatrist to see if you have a condition. I'm not sure what it could be, but that sort of intense feeling isn't normal.

I understand people want to use media as an escape, but artists are entitled to the story that they want to tell. I am perfectly fine with this kind of ending and I still believe that it will be a good ending.

I like the fact that these bittersweet endings are more acceptable in mainstream Japanese media. Your Name would have been the ultimate masterpiece if Makoto Shinkai wasn't forced to deviate from the original ending where the main characters didn't recognize each other.
I am a bit glad that Your name’s ending was changed.

It would have been too much for them not to recognize each other

I found this interesting tho like in dagashi kashi they said goodbye at the bus stop and they part ways when she ride the bus and this they said goodbye in the train. I think if author decide to write a new manga the goodbye will be at airport or maybe at the port where they said goodbye before boarding a ferry or a ship.

Fed-Kun's army
If this is the direction the ending really goes in and this isn't a last minute headfake I still like it.

If you're younger than maybe it's hard to see past a They Get Together=Good; They Break Up=Bad viewpoint but I've been lucky enough to have a lot of tearful breakups like this. We liked each other a lot, loved each other in a couple of occasions- but life got in the way for whatever reason.

But we were both better people on the other side of it. We enriched each other's lives with our presences; we exposed each other to new things, we changed how the other person viewed things.

I've said before I don't think anyone is truly a complete person until they've had a few relationships. Your drive to spend time with someone, get to know them breaks you out of your own ruts, inspires you to get out of your comfort zone. But that doesn't mean you're going to spend the rest of your life with someone. And just because you don't spend the rest of your life with someone doesn't make that time you did spend any less important. There's no "destination" in our real lives- only journey. Even faced with endless time (either through vampirism or youth) you can still be wasting your time; so get out there and live.

I think that is the point here and I think it's a good one.

Fed-Kun's army
I feel lost as hell, this doesn't feel like the ending i wanted, i needed to see more wholesome interactions with them, and the build up of goodbyes made me feel sad and anxious, it's almost as if i feel a hole in my heart... but i guess that's it, i'm so unsatisfied, but i guess this is fine on its own too.:pout:

If this is the direction the ending really goes in and this isn't a last minute headfake I still like it.

If you're younger than maybe it's hard to see past a They Get Together=Good; They Break Up=Bad viewpoint but I've been lucky enough to have a lot of tearful breakups like this. We liked each other a lot, loved each other in a couple of occasions- but life got in the way for whatever reason.

But we were both better people on the other side of it. We enriched each other's lives with our presences; we exposed each other to new things, we changed how the other person viewed things.

I've said before I don't think anyone is truly a complete person until they've had a few relationships. Your drive to spend time with someone, get to know them breaks you out of your own ruts, inspires you to get out of your comfort zone. But that doesn't mean you're going to spend the rest of your life with someone. And just because you don't spend the rest of your life with someone doesn't make that time you did spend any less important. There's no "destination" in our real lives- only journey. Even faced with endless time (either through vampirism or youth) you can still be wasting your time; so get out there and live.

I think that is the point here and I think it's a good one.
why so many thinkers trynna convince u more mature if u couldn't hold relationship and then again? if u didnt just hop in without back thought, and u both smart enough to dont cheat and basically able to talk u'll try not cause any reasons to argue/worse things and u'll find compromise if so anyway. so yes, younger me dont see past a they get together=good(especially if this is not freaks, mofos and Kou/Nazuna r not them and dont have real obstacle ↓↓↓)

and about smart enough, i didnt see any fair rages about how was this break up freaked. did yall just passed it how her reason to break up was to back to her hatred boring vampire life just to start sip blood(dont even asking why teen=emotional, full hormones Kou was too submissive to contradict and condemn the stupidity of her solo decision but goes to again leaved school(what was for her, everyday reminder about fucked up life) as gigachad with testosterone titanium balls dont caring anything)? she said if theyre together she could jump on him and suck. how. she can sip others blood/bloodpacks from their vampire-founded hospital. fed vampire has full control on himself.

isnt there was trip to her favourite Tokyo? it was mess. what was the point? in the end of the end then its just cheap tear squeezer.

they promised to go to beach. but not to break up. this promise as their one to travel together was just to make it another cheap tear squeezer.

she loves him to the point she tried to sacrifice her feelings few times after Kiku arc to separate with him just to dont indulge kid in vampire boringness as Kyouko convinced her. but this way plot-twisting she's not so somehow.

she dreamed about just being with him as human and nothing more but realised shes vampire and sacrificed herself even in dream again so we see again how she love him to death but this was another cheap tear squeezer? not for development in these last chapters? and she just believe she will unlove best she had in life by separating? this way even dont was confirmation or non-confirmation for any fair theories about their unique nature as human/vamp breed + half-vamp. this rifle just didn't fire in plot.

do Kou didnt feel any strong emotions to vampirize in train without clipper? Plutchik wheel was another one non-fired rifle and plot hole.

do all human/vampire relationship a mess as someone was convincing so its fair to have main characters separated? Seri was tired from changing partner and found Akkun. but her character too stacy so she dont care since he separated from her. it wasnt because shes vamp and he was human.
Midori with her otaku. they're not even broke up but he was human.
Nazuna's parents just were weird. if mom knew she will die after becoming human it only more egoistic and dont human/vamp problem. they didn't have to die at all. but she tried to become human by birthing from him. it seems to she instantly went dust because human body dont live as long as her like Kiku. but they could live together until he die or turn him vampire by other vampire because isnt in world vamps like that trap boy who was about to drill in Kou brain and make him fall in love instantly by vampire abilities and bite him? and isnt even right now Kou can be turned by him if his humanity some problem for relationship with Nazuna?

was Kiku arc not to show how not to do and have healthy sapien relationship? just drama for drama? and that crumpled end too? with all that scope of tags there was must be drama then. cant stand drama shit. im done irl. or that another non-fired rifle?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread