Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 198 - Winter Nights Are Long

Aggregator gang
saw this coming months ago, even from the first chapt as this is a coming of age story, they all end sort of like this. i said i'd drop it. i didn't. i'm not very wise.
to the guy who said "wait and see, don't be so pessimistic", or something like that. told you so. you are now obligated to buy a chicken suit, and do the chicken dance.

Dex-chan lover
If they do a fucking timeskip I'm not buying a single volume. They ain't getting a dime from me. This motherfucker can't pull the same fucking shit ending twice. And the detective wondering if kou was a monster or a human, his half vampirism, everything they shoved it up their asses apparently. That went nowhere. I wonder if this got axed
There is almost a 100% chance of a time skip.

Dex-chan lover
Theyre not even fuck?
If its a bitter end, at least make it more impactful for them both.
They kiss few times already.

Dex-chan lover
dunno whatta u implied in however as if she isnt went to evening school 10 years ago when she was 20-30, bc she 30-40, and like, MAN, all her lifetime is asocial gaming, she's same kid as Kou..
You're not wrong, at all...

I've been considering a contrast between Kou and Nazuna, and Mahiru and Kiku, but specifically along the lines of the fact that these are couplings of middle school kids with significantly older women (vampires, but still), and the one of the things that came up was that in fictional age gap relationships where one of the parties is a minor, people seem to respond very positively to the younger party being at least as mature as the older party-- that normally means that either the younger party matures into that parity, or the older party is at least as immature as the younger party.

At any rate, among those who enjoy age gap romance plots, it appears they want to be assured that the older party isn't going to leverage any of their normal advantages (e.g. as a physical adult, as an adult with societal authority, and/or as a worker that's granted some qualified authority) over the younger party.

Suffice to say: Nazuna doesn't do any of that with Kou-- in fact, the only adult thing about her is that she drinks. She's not worldly (she tried to front as such, but that fell apart early in the story), and she probably doesn't even have the ability to charm or hypnotize.

In contrast, Kiku deliberately hypnotized Mahiru on multiple occasions (most particularly, to get him over his reservations about confronting his mother for the final time), and got him to cut out everything in his life except for her, thus isolating him. Granted, these were the actions of a remarkably menhera womanchild who was so inept at love as a general concept that she seriously imitated what she saw in movies, but I can't help but feel like Kotoyama very incidentally produced a meta-commentary on writing age-gap romances by writing out these two foiling relationships.

Joy becomes a vampire, they stay together forever playing old video games.

That’s what we wanted. Not a bittersweet “coming of age” goodbye, now grow and be better.
I'm not going to front and say I didn't want something like that, but becoming and being a vampire is progressively established to be a really raw deal. You're fatally vulnerable to items that you were attached to when you were a human (meaning you have to destroy every valuable vestige of your human life), you HAVE to drink blood or be driven to painful madness from the abstinence (if you don't just have a complete break from reality like Kyouko's father), you don't grow if you were vampirized as an adolescent, and you're liable to lose all human memories-- even the ones that inform you about why you fell in love with the one who vampirized you. Many kin don't even stick around with their vampirizer because their relationships somewhat resemble parent and child such that the kin is inclined to "leave the nest", as it were.

Nazuna herself was flat out bored with her life until Kou. Like, her introducing Kou to the night and night games at the start of the manga was her trying to play the vaguely seductive onee-san and failing in so much style we never noticed(she was so confident most of the time that a given reader probably didn't take her first kiss with Kou and calling it a gesture of friendship for the goofiness it was), but she even explained that vampire life was no more than figuring out ways to kill time.

That aside, this expectation became progressively incongruous with the narrative's themes. Kou started out the story wanting to become a vampire in order to grasp at a freedom he saw in the night after being fed up with his normal life and not being able to understand and truly connect with other people. Throughout the pursuit of his goal, he grew past those character defects and discovered that there wasn't any freedom in becoming a vampire, meaning all that remained of his goals was "to be with Nazuna", which was made to be something independent of him becoming a vampire. What's more, the way he grew past those character defects was partly by rekindling relationships with his human friends and family.

Becoming a vampire, strangely, is to comprehensively give up on your life. Most vampires we see aren't unilaterally miserable as vampires, but any peering into a vampire's human past depicts them as having nothing by the time they're turned (Kyouko's father possibly had a terminal illness by the time he turned). Thinking about all of that, it'd be odd for Kou to-- after learning the lessons he did, and after making the gains and reconnections he did-- still give them all up for the sake of a shade of a life where he'll eventually involuntarily forget why he came to love the woman who vampirized her.

With the bondage of hindsight, I can't help but feel like the only way we'd get such a straightforward ending is if Kou never grew as a person, or if all the lessons he did learn were misanthropic.

https://twitter.com/Sunday_hara if you too are in disbelief over kotoyama getting away with this shit twice, this is call of the night's assigned editor in case anyone wants to leave polite feedback on the chapter. Note: This is not a call to harass the guy
A thought occurs.

Were the Japanese at least okay with the ending to Dagashi Kashi?

I mean, the mangaka responsible for that one ero-doujin some people tout as the canonical ending to the manga, from the very little I know, didn't seem to make that out of anything that wasn't just wanting to make a fan work.

Been buying the raws to support the author cause I also really loved the a anime but if it's a bad ending I aint gonna continue with their stuff.

Just a personal opinion as some people enjoy those endings. But that ain't what I'm here for.

Dex-chan lover
This chapter really broke my heart. Still 2 chapters to go and I am going to hope for their relationship. Thanks for the chapter and the translation

Dex-chan lover
Some music for the the moment... maybe when they meet up again it can be different:

You're not wrong, at all...

I've been considering a contrast between Kou and Nazuna, and Mahiru and Kiku, but specifically along the lines of the fact that these are couplings of middle school kids with significantly older women (vampires, but still), and the one of the things that came up was that in fictional age gap relationships where one of the parties is a minor, people seem to respond very positively to the younger party being at least as mature as the older party-- that normally means that either the younger party matures into that parity, or the older party is at least as immature as the younger party.

At any rate, among those who enjoy age gap romance plots, it appears they want to be assured that the older party isn't going to leverage any of their normal advantages (e.g. as a physical adult, as an adult with societal authority, and/or as a worker that's granted some qualified authority) over the younger party.

Suffice to say: Nazuna doesn't do any of that with Kou-- in fact, the only adult thing about her is that she drinks. She's not worldly (she tried to front as such, but that fell apart early in the story), and she probably doesn't even have the ability to charm or hypnotize.

In contrast, Kiku deliberately hypnotized Mahiru on multiple occasions (most particularly, to get him over his reservations about confronting his mother for the final time), and got him to cut out everything in his life except for her, thus isolating him. Granted, these were the actions of a remarkably menhera womanchild who was so inept at love as a general concept that she seriously imitated what she saw in movies, but I can't help but feel like Kotoyama very incidentally produced a meta-commentary on writing age-gap romances by writing out these two foiling relationships.

I'm not going to front and say I didn't want something like that, but becoming and being a vampire is progressively established to be a really raw deal. You're fatally vulnerable to items that you were attached to when you were a human (meaning you have to destroy every valuable vestige of your human life), you HAVE to drink blood or be driven to painful madness from the abstinence (if you don't just have a complete break from reality like Kyouko's father), you don't grow if you were vampirized as an adolescent, and you're liable to lose all human memories-- even the ones that inform you about why you fell in love with the one who vampirized you. Many kin don't even stick around with their vampirizer because their relationships somewhat resemble parent and child such that the kin is inclined to "leave the nest", as it were.

Nazuna herself was flat out bored with her life until Kou. Like, her introducing Kou to the night and night games at the start of the manga was her trying to play the vaguely seductive onee-san and failing in so much style we never noticed(she was so confident most of the time that a given reader probably didn't take her first kiss with Kou and calling it a gesture of friendship for the goofiness it was), but she even explained that vampire life was no more than figuring out ways to kill time.

That aside, this expectation became progressively incongruous with the narrative's themes. Kou started out the story wanting to become a vampire in order to grasp at a freedom he saw in the night after being fed up with his normal life and not being able to understand and truly connect with other people. Throughout the pursuit of his goal, he grew past those character defects and discovered that there wasn't any freedom in becoming a vampire, meaning all that remained of his goals was "to be with Nazuna", which was made to be something independent of him becoming a vampire. What's more, the way he grew past those character defects was partly by rekindling relationships with his human friends and family.

Becoming a vampire, strangely, is to comprehensively give up on your life. Most vampires we see aren't unilaterally miserable as vampires, but any peering into a vampire's human past depicts them as having nothing by the time they're turned (Kyouko's father possibly had a terminal illness by the time he turned). Thinking about all of that, it'd be odd for Kou to-- after learning the lessons he did, and after making the gains and reconnections he did-- still give them all up for the sake of a shade of a life where he'll eventually involuntarily forget why he came to love the woman who vampirized her.

With the bondage of hindsight, I can't help but feel like the only way we'd get such a straightforward ending is if Kou never grew as a person, or if all the lessons he did learn were misanthropic.

A thought occurs.

I mean, the mangaka responsible for that one ero-doujin some people tout as the canonical ending to the manga, from the very little I know, didn't seem to make that out of anything that wasn't just wanting to make a fan work.
so, u think if he had some life experience in manga he absolutely must engage in normal life only bc it's not so uncommon, hard as take responsibility as grown up human for their hard, uncommon, but sweet fate together(she dont supposed to bite him and potentially die if she fed. there's no forbid to suck others blood/bloodpacks in relationship)? one this thing counter any yall's speaches abt fair bad ending bc someone of them will grow up by returning to their regular shitty life. there's no narrative to them being happy any other seconds of their life since ripping apart. they're not robots. and this surely isnt growing up if u just run from responsibility for urself and ur partner.

Dex-chan lover

No idea about the Japanese, but I did look at the comments in a Korean site that uploads the raws earlier and it's 1:1 what's going on here. I looked at Kotoyama's Twitter and he has all his replies disabled. According to bard and Bing, so take it with a grain of salt, the response to Dagashi Kashi's ending in Japan was mixed

Double-page supporter
Y'all bring the bitter and I'll bring the sweet: this is a pretty perfect description of what a high-school first love feels like. 99% of the time, y'all won't end up with each other -- puppy love starts all pure and uncalculated but then the future and grown-up stuff get in the way. And so, you either cling on to something doomed to fail catastrophically, or you can end it on a high note. Better feeling bittersweet for a while than feeling completely miserable when everything eventually crumbles to dust.

Also, just think of this as a more literal spin on the vampire curse: easy to make others fall in love with you, but can never experience love themselves (otherwise you die 🙂).
It is literally they same exact ending as the author's last manga. Fuck this shit

Double-page supporter
If they do a fucking timeskip I'm not buying a single volume. They ain't getting a dime from me. This motherfucker can't pull the same fucking shit ending twice. And the detective wondering if kou was a monster or a human, his half vampirism, everything they shoved it up their asses apparently. That went nowhere. I wonder if this got axed
Hope he never writes again

Dex-chan lover
Something not being to your tastes doesn't mean it's bad. "Unsatisfying" endings are often the most true to life. Not everything works out or gets cleanly resolved. People can be wrong and make mistakes. Some people value those endings.

Authors ought to write for themselves, not their audience. Tattling to an editor because a story personally upsets you is low character, childish behavior. Frankly speaking, it's pathetic. If you can't handle it, if you don't like it, then drop the story and don't buy any merch. It obviously wasn't for you - move on with your life. Don't be vindictive that a story wasn't what you wanted it to be, and try to shackle an author's voice. It's Kotoyama's story to tell, and if nobody wants to hear it, she'll have no audience. If people do want to hear it, she will have an audience. Whining won't change that.

Dex-chan lover
Let me guess: in the next chapter we will see Kou life and in the last chapter they'll reunion just before he'll die of old age....
I mean, as this is prepared....

Something not being to your tastes doesn't mean it's bad. "Unsatisfying" endings are often the most true to life. Not everything works out or gets cleanly resolved. People can be wrong and make mistakes. Some people value those endings.

Authors ought to write for themselves, not their audience. Tattling to an editor because a story personally upsets you is low character, childish behavior. Frankly speaking, it's pathetic. If you can't handle it, if you don't like it, then drop the story and don't buy any merch. It obviously wasn't for you - move on with your life. Don't be vindictive that a story wasn't what you wanted it to be, and try to shackle an author's voice. It's Kotoyama's story to tell, and if nobody wants to hear it, she'll have no audience. If people do want to hear it, she will have an audience. Whining won't change that.
someone never have been hurt i see

Users who are viewing this thread