Kamigami no Kago de Seisan Kakumei - Ch. 9.1

Dex-chan lover
Look, getting paid for the translation is fine... as long as it's being paid for the service...

Putting it behind paywall on the other hand for early access is treating it like a product... and that's kinda wrong...

You aren't the actual owners and shouldn't be charging people for the work....

Dex-chan lover
Look, getting paid for the translation is fine... as long as it's being paid for the service...

Putting it behind paywall on the other hand for early access is treating it like a product... and that's kinda wrong...

This 1000%^^^^
While I understand things take time effort and sometimes money.. it's scummy as fuck. People don't seem to realise that groups that actually regularly upload and interact with the community on here get support such as donations, Instead of begging like comiccondom

Dex-chan lover
This 1000%^^^^
While I understand things take time effort and sometimes money.. it's scummy as fuck. People don't seem to realise that groups that actually regularly upload and interact with the community on here get support such as donations, Instead of begging like comiccondom
also, paywalling chapters and shit like that is what usually draws official publishers to scanlation groups, with a nice and beefy team of lawyers and a C&D (or worse) ready to shove up where the sun don't shine. Happened before, more than once. Just sayin', if it happens again, don't pretend to be surprised

Dex-chan lover
This 1000%^^^^
And, in contrast, it is the groups that treat their work as a product that brings the attention of the legitimate owners, and to the entire group of uploaders; not just themselves.
Uploading fan translations is a slippery slope. Not only is it easy to fall to any of the "darker" sides of this, but also easy to get the attention of those who could sue and shutdown the entire thing for everyone...
While this is unlikely for Mangadex, considering they are basically acknowledged by a number of the legal owners of various manga, it isn't impossible. (More likely a temporary shutdown while a periodic direct scan of that particular language's chapter is found and removed, than the entire website being removed permanently, but still.)

We must keep in mind that the vast majority of fan translators don't even bother trying to get permission to upload their works. It's not like it's never done, nor like no one has succeeded in getting permission; most simply don't try.
Just as importantly, A: it is the uploading to a publicly accessable location that is illegal and not the work (scanning, translating, editing, etc); and B: just because someone doesn't receive a cease and desist, or take down notice, doesn't mean implied permission as much as lack of visibility (i.e. that the upload simply hasn't been discovered yet) or lack of legal presence (i.e. it is uploaded somewhere where they don't have lawyers to demand it be taken down, or outside of international copyright laws).

The fan translators of the Bleach manga stated that they had permission to not only translate but to HOST their translations (up to two-three chapters if I recall) with documented evidence. So it is possible...

I always find it funny when I see a page begging or demanding that we readers not "post to social media" or reupload anywhere. Posting to social media makes them (and their -likely- Ad funded website) more visible and therefore more likely to be shut down (or identified and collectively sued), and reuploading takes it out of their control - which they themselves did to the publisher and Mangaka...

Finally, I'm by no means saying people shouldn't fan translated. I make full use of this website myself, so that would be shooting myself in the foot so-to-say. But really those who choose to upload their translations should do so ONLY fully understanding and acknowledging what they are doing and the consequences therein. If they don't or refuse to do so it will only hurt the community more. (No, you do NOT deserve anything from us for your work. You abandoned that RIGHT when you LITERALLY STOLE from those who DO deserve something from us - the original publisher and Mangaka. Likewise WE do NOT owe anything to you, that right is reserved for the original publisher and Mangaka. We can CHOOSE to donate, or not; that is purely OUR right. p.s. on a phone, not sure how to bold or italicize so using all caps instead. Sorry.)

tldr; thank you for the chapters, but don't expect anything from us, except reporting predatory behavior to any relevant authorities.

Dex-chan lover
Man, if you're gonna do a slow life Isekai. At least TRY, Jesus Christ this is so sloppy it's actually cringe. No matter who you are you would not think "oh gods don't descend here? How weird", did they just come to say hello oftenly in this settings' Japan?! So goddamn stupid

Dex-chan lover
but miya didn't do anything, not even give a blessing or anything, so why's she here? Herk at least caved to pressure and gave a blessing, but miya is 200% unrelated.

Dex-chan lover
This 1000%^^^^
considering i've seen stuff like 'do not share on social media my group almost got sued' for stuff that was free , i'd def expect some mangaka that were aware to also file a lawsuit for ppl accepting payment versus like a personal commission versus also giving the author a cut too

Aggregator gang

also, paywalling chapters and shit like that is what usually draws official publishers to scanlation groups, with a nice and beefy team of lawyers and a C&D (or worse) ready to shove up where the sun don't shine. Happened before, more than once. Just sayin', if it happens again, don't pretend to be surprised
And, in contrast, it is the groups that treat their work as a product that brings the attention of the legitimate owners, and to the entire group of uploaders; not just themselves.
Uploading fan translations is a slippery slope. Not only is it easy to fall to any of the "darker" sides of this, but also easy to get the attention of those who could sue and shutdown the entire thing for everyone...
While this is unlikely for Mangadex, considering they are basically acknowledged by a number of the legal owners of various manga, it isn't impossible. (More likely a temporary shutdown while a periodic direct scan of that particular language's chapter is found and removed, than the entire website being removed permanently, but still.)

We must keep in mind that the vast majority of fan translators don't even bother trying to get permission to upload their works. It's not like it's never done, nor like no one has succeeded in getting permission; most simply don't try.
Just as importantly, A: it is the uploading to a publicly accessable location that is illegal and not the work (scanning, translating, editing, etc); and B: just because someone doesn't receive a cease and desist, or take down notice, doesn't mean implied permission as much as lack of visibility (i.e. that the upload simply hasn't been discovered yet) or lack of legal presence (i.e. it is uploaded somewhere where they don't have lawyers to demand it be taken down, or outside of international copyright laws).

The fan translators of the Bleach manga stated that they had permission to not only translate but to HOST their translations (up to two-three chapters if I recall) with documented evidence. So it is possible...

I always find it funny when I see a page begging or demanding that we readers not "post to social media" or reupload anywhere. Posting to social media makes them (and their -likely- Ad funded website) more visible and therefore more likely to be shut down (or identified and collectively sued), and reuploading takes it out of their control - which they themselves did to the publisher and Mangaka...

Finally, I'm by no means saying people shouldn't fan translated. I make full use of this website myself, so that would be shooting myself in the foot so-to-say. But really those who choose to upload their translations should do so ONLY fully understanding and acknowledging what they are doing and the consequences therein. If they don't or refuse to do so it will only hurt the community more. (No, you do NOT deserve anything from us for your work. You abandoned that RIGHT when you LITERALLY STOLE from those who DO deserve something from us - the original publisher and Mangaka. Likewise WE do NOT owe anything to you, that right is reserved for the original publisher and Mangaka. We can CHOOSE to donate, or not; that is purely OUR right. p.s. on a phone, not sure how to bold or italicize so using all caps instead. Sorry.)

tldr; thank you for the chapters, but don't expect anything from us, except reporting predatory behavior to any relevant authorities.
considering i've seen stuff like 'do not share on social media my group almost got sued' for stuff that was free , i'd def expect some mangaka that were aware to also file a lawsuit for ppl accepting payment versus like a personal commission versus also giving the author a cut too

Hello, I am Xlis1, a proofreader for Nyanu Kafe as well as numerous other groups (GD, Shit Scans, Shadow-sama scans, Akatsuki scans, as well as a few other smaller groups/projects)

Before I start here I feel the need to express that every view point shared within this post is my own and exclusively my own, i do not speak for any of the aforementioned groups or the people in them. If you have problems with anything I say, please restrict criticism to me alone, I was not asked to come and argue our case or anything of the sort, In fact our group leader discouraged me from posting here, but I feel strongly enough to do so regardless.

Nyanu Kafe pays their staff, personally i decline payment for my proofreading for them as I'd rather that money go to the TL's and RD's who do far more laborious work than simple proofreading, I bring that up not to spouse my own virtue or stroke my ego, but for the sake of transparency, as well as to make it clear that I do not have a vested financial interest in the group getting donations. While none of the positions get paid very much in the grand scheme of things, while I don't feel comfortable listing the exact rates most of the staff get paid between $0.10 and $0.20 per page, this payment helps us recruit more talented members and allows us to maintain a fairly high standard of quality as far as fan TL goes. In an ideal world that payment could be sourced entirely from good will donations from our readers with no further incentive or benefit other than allowing us to keep working as we are now, but the world we live in is far from ideal. The reality is that people simply don't donate that much if there is literally no incentive to do so. I can say with certainty that the group leader isn't trying to squeeze our reader base for as much profit as possible, this isn't some underhanded trade of integrity for money, its simply a lot more reasonable to provide the absolute minimum possible incentive in exchange for financial support if we want to receive any.

we are not selling exclusive chapters or extras, we are not locking any exclusive content behind a paywall nor are we trying to monetize your screen by begging you to use our site that we plaster with ads. the only tangible benefit you get from giving us money is access to chapters as soon as they are finished, those chapters are uploaded to mangadex on a set schedule, and that schedule is about as fast as we think we can have chapters done consistently, we don't have an archive of chapters backlogged just sitting around or anything. In my opinion its the least possible scummy donation incentive or method of recouping our losses. As I said previously, the group isn't being run for profit, but we also cant simply eat the costs entirely on our own, and the pure kindness of strangers is insufficient to cover it.

as for the legal argument, it would cost a publisher quite literally thousands of times more to litigate such a case than they could possibly get from a fan TL group, which is why none of them ever do, at most you get a cease and desist letter, which tends to be enough to stop a fan TL group. As for them being more likely to send such a cease and desist letter, I don't think our patreon has any kind of impact on that. what actually matters to the publisher is any potential damage we would cause to their sales, so if they aren't selling or planning on selling an official English localization, then the sales impact of a fan TL is laughably negligible, its quite literally not worth the time it would take a publisher to find, figure out how to contact, and then send letters to fan TL groups who don't directly step on their toes.

TL;DR: Yes selling inconsistent early access to chapters is marginally more scummy than simply praying for donations. But at some point Ideals have to compromise with reality, and the reality is that donations alone cant cover the cost of even a very modestly paid staff. In my opinion this is by far the least scummy possible way to incentivize donations/recoup at least some of our losses.

Dex-chan lover
but miya didn't do anything, not even give a blessing or anything, so why's she here? Herk at least caved to pressure and gave a blessing, but miya is 200% unrelated.
She has boobs and wanted good food... isn't that enough reason??? Plus, it's her person marrying the MC

Users who are viewing this thread