Doing the translating, typesetting, etc must have been tough. Thank you for your hard work~ :D
Just run it through a grammar checker or something and it will be perfect

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter's translation. Really appreciate it 😁

Dex-chan lover
When the chapter has only been out for two hours and there are 120+ comments.
images

Well the translation and the typesetting was pretty bad but at least I got to see Rinko push away the useless teacher, that made it all worth it

Aggregator gang
Well since everyone and their mother are tossing their opinions to the translator, i thought i might as well throw in my 2 cents.

TL;DR for author: This chapter, bad. Author-kun plz use Arial for fonts, stop shortening werds, get a editor, re-read the chapter you TL'ed to make sure you didn't make any mistakes, and don't snipe.

TL;DR for readers: Give the guy a break, he probably had good intentions but unpolished skills.

Overall it's... pretty bad. There's a lot to criticize from font choice, word choice, text editing, and of course grammar. although it definitely could be worse since some of the readers could piece together what's going on, it's really taxing trying to understand what everyone is saying. Not to mention that this translation was based on another translation, which was also based on another translation [Japanese -> Spanish (assumed) -> Indonesian -> English] so it's possible some deeper context is lost.

Does this mean the translator deserves the shit he got for translating this? Well... probably not, but not because he made the translation. Judging by his account, he's actually new to this. I'm willing to bet he barely knew the culture surrounding manga reading and translating as well as the do's and donts . He probably wanted to try it for himself and he failed miserably but that doesn't mean he should stop trying and kill himself. At the very least he should get a shot at improving himself.

Though I've never translated a page myself, I have read a number of manga to the point that i somewhat understand what's wrong with it, so I'll give what constructive criticism i can give.

1. Font choice: The font for this translation is awful, the letters inconsistent, making it hard to read. I'm a bit dumbfounded as to why you would choose this font when the Indonesian translation uses a much better font, you would at least understand that a solid black font that has a consistent shape and size would be the best choice. If you don't know which font to use, might as well use good ol Times New Roman, or Arial.

2. Word choice: Avoid abbreviations or word shortenings, such as "u", "u'r", "cuz", etc because it takes the reader out of their immersion, after all do you seriously believe a serious person such as Rinko would use words such as "cuz"? Also make sure to translate every Japanese you find, the "omoshiroi" really took me out of the manga and just worsen the already bad experience. There's a reason why "all according to Keikaku, TL note: Keikaku means plan" is a meme. The "Noroke" one I honestly don't know what to do, since even the Indonesian TL did the same thing and I struggle trying to find an English word that conveys the same meaning. I still think you should've translated it with a phrase that conveys the same meaning. (It's also worth noting that keeping honorifics other than "-san" is acceptable. Examples are "-sensei", "-kun", "-chan", "Onee-chan", etc. Though it's really up to the readers, so you have to get a feel from the audience.)

3. Grammar: This one you will have to practice on your own. There's no quick way to it, you just have to keep doing it until your sentence structuring is good. You could get a proofreader/editor, not sure if they're in short supply, but it does mean you can't go at your own pace and in some cases have to pay the guy. Regardless, this is the biggest flaw, if you can't fix this I'm afraid few will be willing to read more of your work.

4. Quality control: there are 2 mistakes in page 16, namely on the "future plan survey" the Indonesian TL there's a "Option 1: Teacher" but in this translation it's empty, and then on the last panel there's an empty bubble where there's supposed to be "You're joking, right?". The former is a fatal error because without it, when Shitface-sensei (I actually forgot his name) said Arase can't be a teacher it felt like it came out of nowhere. Meanwhile the later, though can be considered minor, really puts off the reader because to them something important might be in that bubble, but they don't know whats in it. Generally the only time it's acceptable to do something like that is when what is conveyed in two bubbles can be conveyed in one bubble, even then someone will complain about the empty bubble.

Extra: TL notes: This isn't exactly universal, some translator can add a bit of humor to the page by adding a funny TL note (I smiled at the Rick roll one) but if you do it wrong, it can worsen the experience ( I groaned at the Harem MC one), so it's a hit or miss thing. I suggest playing it safe and just use TL notes for translation stuff (like the "noroke one")

Extra: Sniping: From what i understand, TL groups (at least the ones that's trying to maintain a "professional" schedule" will not translate a manga/chapter that another group has already "pick up". The reason being that TLing is a time consuming activity (as you probably realized) and if the chapter they were working on suddenly get translated and uploaded, thus stealing all their traffic, could greatly damage their enthusiasm, and in the worst case scenario, cause them to drop the series entirely. This is the reason people HATE snippers, and even worse troll snipers. Now I understand that this series isn't picked up by a translating group with a consistent track record. But at least one of the most recent translator (Actus Reus) uploaded his version of the previous chapter 16 days ago, thus it can be assumed that he is working on chapter 31. You should at the very least get a confirmation that he isn't translating the chapter you just uploaded (and doesn't plan to in the future) and/or permission to translate this chapter and mention that you got his permission (or any other group/person actively translating the series you want to translate). This is courtesy and fair play. We all want the chapters to be translated as soon as possible, but we also want to appreciate the hardworking people that dedicate their time to translate a series. An exception to this rule is when the translating team announced they drop the series or stopped translating a series for a long time (6 months I think is long enough)

And i think that's all my thoughts on your translation. I wont lie, its terrible, my head hurts trying to piece together what's going on. But that doesn't mean you should give up and stop learning how to be a translator. If you really want to be a very good TL, try joining a group, it will be hard work, and you will inevitably get in to a drama. But you will at least learn what goes in to translating a chapter because a good TL goes beyond just putting a white rectangle and putting the correct words on top of it.

Me : Yes, finally an update
Translator : HaHaEngerishGoesBrrr

Jokes aside, I don't rly need a good grammar. At least u understand what they're saying r8? So keep up with d good work.

thanks for the translation, like stated there are mistakes etc but it's not a machine translation so you can easily understand everything

Users who are viewing this thread