5Toubun no Hanayome - Vol. 14 Ch. 120 - Five Years Ago, On a Certain Day

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if everyone's being more critical because of the choice of girl and direction/reaction of the other girls in the story. I admit the manga's probably ending too soon and I wanted to see more of Fuutarou and Yotsuba's dating or more of the aftermath from the other four, but I can't help but feel everyone's being nitpicky to the smallest things since a quintuplet was chosen.

Plus a harem ending really? Wasn't the point of the drama individualizing the five was to establish their individual identities whilst staying close as sisters? If we just go for a generic harem ending and saying they're "part of a greater whole" just implies that all of them winning is fine because they all the same person anyway as parts of a single girl and that the bride should've been ambiguous? In my opinion a harem ending is playing it way too safe and Negi would've garnered criticism for being too scared to break the status quo. I'm kind of glad Fuu chose one out of the five even though it has been fast-paced and even if it hasn't been the best execution.

Contributor
All these weeblets screaming Nisekoi when TWGOK fits so much better really

People who expected harem ending from such a “serious” and trying hard to be “realistic” and morally “correct” proper manga are delusional. Boggles my mind.
I agree it would be great, but never had such expectations.

Honestly despite the hate this conclusion has gotten, I’ve found it to be generally okay, but this chapter in particular felt lackluster, no personality to it, it was simply empty.

@kuuga
None of them should be mentioned here as they are in different league.
Even “show me your panties” comedy harem, the new TWGOK, is superior and has better chemistry.

When a parody manga has deeper relationships you know something is wrong.

dd8y2zh25ddx.png

Dex-chan lover
I can't say I fully agree with that. It's not that I don't like Yotsuba as a character-though I wish she had gotten a bit more development up to this point-but that the rest of the characters seem not to be themselves in how they would act under these circumstances. Ichika MIGHT accept it begrudgingly as she's the most mature of the group, though she might be lying to herself to do it, but Nino would still definitely be putting up a fight, Miku would be snide and callus, (imagine how Hamlet acts in his play but with more sarcasm and pointed remarks) and would definitely shed a lot more tears.

Characterization is a fundamental part of story telling, so when your characters seem off with no clear explanation that is shown to the audience proportional to the amount of setting up of their personality they went through, it feels very uncanny. It feels like the author wanted his ending and so changed their personalities last minute to achieve it-which feels out of place. If we got more processing of the events, more discussion of it and seeing the Quins work out their issues within their own ways and character, it would be easier to digest. As it stands, it feels rushed and not fully developed.

Also, I don't think this is nitpicking as much as it is providing real insight into story-telling methods and appears to be thinking about the work on a deeper level than it first seems. It's apart of good writing is all-and nitpicks can be good to point out if a lot of little issues amount to bigger ones, though I don't think that's the case here.
@Umesan

They're acting like nothing has changed between them? Come on man, at least give me one date between them where they maybe embrace or even KISSU before the time skip.

Dex-chan lover
As for your latter point, it doesn't matter if it appears to be "playing it safe" or if it "breaks the status quo." They established early on the Gotoubon Principles-that they all will share anything between themselves in terms of both emotions and that they will always be happy so long as the five of them are together.
"If one of you makes a mistake, then overcome it together. If one of you is happy, share it with the others. Joy, sorrow, anger, love...are shared among the five of us...in five equal parts!"
-Rena Nankano, Chapter 12​

This doesn't preclude that they all have distinct individual personalities or identities, or that they aren't each their own person, but it continues the themes of sisterhood, family, and the unbreakable bond between them. It has been more heavily foreshadowed that they ALL would get him than that any ONE would, and it betrays the fundamental aspects of the narrative in both theme, character, and execution. A harem ending would fit here in terms of how the story is pointing towards, at least in comparison to the other aspects. It doesn't matter that it seems "safe" or that other manga do it-what matters is if the story appears to be pointing towards it and if the core and fundamental framework of the story is directed at it, which it appears to be.

I'm approaching this from a narrative/story-telling perspective, and, whilst you're free to disagree, I definitely feel I have a well of things I could cite to justify my stance here.
@Umesan

Contributor
@dube
I meant its similar to TWGOK in the sense that ending is rushed (quintuplet is less rushed) and one of the sleeper girls came out to win the mc bowl (yotsuba was more obvious tho bout 1/2 way through the story) so 5-toubon is like TWGOK but to a lesser extent however in Nisekoi Chitoge was obviously always gonna win and imo Nisekoi was dragging more then rushing.

also by “show me your panties” comedy harem, the new TWGOK, do you mean Iyanakao Sarenagara Opantsu Misete Moraitai

tho ngl I cant think of any harem story that was as big as TWGOK and had as big of a train wreck ending (im still bitter)

3 more ch left right?
Ah... Looks like really no harem ending. Zannen~
It's kind like see Nisekoi ending again

Dex-chan lover
oioioioioioioioioioioiioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioiioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioio

You can't just leave us hanging like that!

damn so many things happened in this chapter, fuutarou going away for Tokyo and the Quints tearing up for it even tho they guessed it

so Itsuki is the only one who took up the entrance exam while Miku and Nino took up culinary and yotsuba got into sports institute, I felt like crying when Itsuki passed the entrance exam, she worked so hard for it and got into the uni gooo gurl, man I hope Nino and Miku have a Yuri ending

I wonder what will happen in the next final three chapters, ah man I'm fucking not ready a time skip I might cry watching them as adults

Users who are viewing this thread