@essen46
I genuinely don't understand how the word 'clumsy' means I'm trying to sound intellectual or like a professional film critic. I just really don't understand where you got that because if I was trying to sound smart I would try a lot harder than that and look up some way bigger words. Besides me saying it was clumsy isn't really harsh, me saying to throw the entire arc in the trash was harsh.

I'm glad we're both in agreement on the arc being too gimmicky though, the author is very good at those unexpected quick punches in the earlier chapters like how Miko's dad was a ghost all along or in chapter 4 with the cat and the scarred man and his ghost family. It may not have been accurate to say plot holes so much as inconsistencies which kinda go back to how Zen was originally a one off character in a chapter that was made before the manga was serialized. Such as, 'Where was his mom in chapter 4?', well it's probably just that the author likely had no intent to use him again later and kinda had to retroactively come up with a back story for this one off guy and set on using his mom. I also find it weird that we've seen ghosts/spirits interact and fight with each other before but the cat ghosts following him seem more intent on him than the ghost mom that killed them, add onto that the ghost from chapter 4 that got off the bench to stop following the cat and instead hiss at him instead of following the mom and attacking her (Which again, she wasn't there because it likely wasn't planned at the time). Also, the second twist of him actually being a dangerous murderer all along was treated more like a punchline rather than the very serious thing it was, which is weird when compared to how seriously the manga treated other things like the teacher's previous miscarriage.

Really my main complaints about this arc just come down to, like you said, the author working really hard for those twists when their strength is really way more in those quick one chapter twists or those bittersweet moments like Miko's dad or the ghost trying to speak to his widowed wife. Those chapters are really fantastic.

Fed-Kun's army
Never thought this has plot.
not only that it also exceed my expectation to the moon.
well damn...

Mate what if she gets recruited by them and turns into one of the shrine maidens?

Dex-chan lover
@Pendulum There are plenty of places the author can gauge audience reception. Twitter is most likely. Not sure how you inferred I was saying it was here.

@Darklight99 Except for nearly every other character in the manga so far? And honestly, sensei pretty neatly falls into the "evil" box. He murders people. "Likes cats" doesn't make someone good.

Dex-chan lover
Sensei's redemption arc was pretty good, I have literally no problems with him yeeting animal abusers

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy He murders serial animal abusers. He hasn't hurt any innocent person, and he doesn't hurt people for his personal pleasure. He isn't a good person by any means but he isn't evil either.

Dex-chan lover
@Darklight99 How is murdering people not evil? Killing another human being, much less killing any sentient being, is considered evil. The motivation doesn't matter, that life is not his to take.

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy Then capital punishment is evil to you? What about self defence? Or soldiers killing enemy combatants? Police killing criminals in the line of duty? Or turning off someone's life support when they don't have a chance of revival? Saying that killing anyone despite the context is incredibly naive. He's not a good person, but he isn't evil.
You also said that the manga hasn't talked about not taking things at face value before, when the very first chapter with sensei was about that, he looked innocent but Miko knew that he wasn't because of the cats while the Yakuza dude looked bad but was a good guy. All we now know is that both Milo's normal view and her supernatural view aren't as simple as one would expect.

Dex-chan lover
@Darklight99 Yes, I think those acts are evil, especially capital punishment. I think modern society rationalizes those acts as "for the greater good" when there are less violent alternatives available.

Besides, none of those even apply seeing seeing as this was Sensei sneaking up on someone from behind, disabling them with a taser, then killing them later. That's premeditated vigilante murder. He's evil, plain and simple.

I don't know where you got the idea that I said anything about "face value." I've never talked about that at all in this section. You're arguing against something I've never said.

Dex-chan lover
Mmmh so sensei was really a serial killer? also is the god now going to try and eat our girl?

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy Then you're an incredibly naive person with a childlike brain. Might as well go live in Neverland with Peter Pan.
As for the second part, that was meant for "Except for nearly every other character in the manga so far?"
Which is not the case.

@Darklight99 @BestBoy
Good and evil are generally terrible identifiers to use when you want to categorize a person's moral integrity. You can call the sensei ruthless since that is a good term to describe someone who kills another because of his own justice. But those same people can also be idealist which I do not believe the sensei is, at least not on a more global standpoint. He may be an individual idealist.

Dex-chan lover
@Doomroar We've only seen evidence of one thing that was potentially a murder, that isn't serial killing without a little more to it. Like if he's been hunting down every cat abuser in the city, and killing them in a more or less ritualistic way.

I don't think the Fox God is going to harm her, because she will be 100% fucked if he were to go after her in her current state.

Dex-chan lover
@Darklight99 I used to think all those things were fine, but I grew out of that ruthless ideology. For instance, it's not naive to think capital punishment has no reason to be allowed in modern society. There's a vast number of people who think it's an outdated sentencing. The majority of countries in the world have abolished it or are working towards that. The UN has even adopted resolutions calling for a moratorium on the practice. Even from a cost-analysis there are better alternatives. So no, I don't think I'm the naive one, here. I'm pretty sure I'm an adult who's joined the rest of the modern world in leaving behind such antiquated practices.

It's good to know you're strawmanning my comments. When I said, "Except for nearly every other character in the manga so far?" it was in response to your comment, "All it means is that every person is complicated and doesn't fall neatly in a box of good or evil." It's a fact that nearly all the characters in the manga so far have fallen very neatly into good or evil boxes. Miko, Hana, Julia, Mom, Brother, veterinarian friend, dead dad, etc are all good. My comment was not about how this series hasn't addressed taking things at face value and incorrectly judging them as you stated above with, "You also said that the manga hasn't talked about not taking things at face value before." Please don't misrepresent my comments to bolster your argument.

@Le_Doctor_Bones Again, committing premeditated murder has for all of modern history been considered an evil act. I would hope you never consider murder as a morally grey area. I'll agree that "good and evil" are simplistic ways of viewing characters, but this is a manga, not War and Peace. The entire thing is simplistic.

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy I too used to think that capital punishment has no place in society and that death shouldn't be allowed by any means, grew up and got over that naive train of thought though. As I said, the fact is, complex characters HAS been brought up before, and especially in case of sensei. His introduction chapter was even about it. Not to mention capital punishment was just one of various examples I gave of deaths being utilised but not considered as evil.

Aggregator gang
Ad much as I love the whole slice of life of her ignoring the ghosts and phantoms, it's becoming stale... i really wanna see her exorcise them. Anyone have any recommendations like that? Kinda like xxholic vibes?

Users who are viewing this thread