A Sword Master Childhood Friend Power Harassed Me Harshly, so I Broke off Our Relationship and Made a Fresh Start at the Frontier as a Magic Swordsma…

jak

Contributor
Would rather see a harem end than the other girl end up with douche knight.

Fed-Kun's army
Can novel readers spoil me whether she meets him again or not?

Nah... Not yet, but probably going to meet soon.
She found out finn identity being flick later on while disguising as a male adventurer called Al.

Dex-chan lover
@Justking14 there's nothing wrong with it. I doubt she and mc will be together again so you could see her suffer anyway and seeing the arrogant noble got beat up is a bonus

Dex-chan lover
@Rusty5555
I wonder if some of it has to do with the fact that pop-culture romances are constantly trying to sell the narrative that causing drama and being abusive to one's partner, but then making up later, just shows "how strong and able to overcome anything," the relationship is.

When in reality, that makes about as much sense as calling someone who stabs children but pays for their hospital bills a paragon of generosity.

Dex-chan lover
While I do read the source material, sometimes I think the manga artwork is too good for this series.

Noelia best girl tho. Fite me irl.

Double-page supporter
@MasterPannya Sure, Noelia is best girl if we're not counting that gorgeous receptionist.

Noelia seems like a nice enough girl so far. As far as the abusive ex goes, she's had everything go her way so much in life she literally can't wrap her brain around the idea that he's gone, or why.

Dex-chan lover
His ex and the obnoxious knight seem to suit each other pretty well.

As the translator who has just taken over translating this series.

I'd like to write something for people who have some opinion about the name of the protagonist.

The original Japanese name is フリック which sounds either like "Frick" or "Flick". It does not contain "n" or "t" sound. Thus, I've made the decision to change it to align with the Japanese pronunciation. It's not whether it sounds cool or not. The problem is that, in Japanese, they have already dictated the sound in English.

The question is if you value accuracy. If I wanted to be creative, I would be writing a story instead of translating.

@Stickman
I absolutely disagree with the idea of localisation on names. The only reason for localisation is for translator to be lazy and for the reader to not have to think about there are different cultures out there with different names.

Looking at Chinese name, if you call them anything other than the sound, like Dragon King as you suggested there, without the culture being accepting of alternative wording, then it is being insulting. If the protagonist’s name in Chinese is “Long Wang”, you should translate it as "Long Wang". Also, "Dragon King" is a title and not a name.

Why do you think they changed the name of Bombay back to Mumbai; Eskimo to Inuit; and Peking to Beijing? They localised those names a long time ago and it is either insulting or unacceptable to the culture in question.

Also there are many people with names that have unpleasant alternative meaning as well, like Richard/Dick, as you said. I don't think many change their name just because of that.

Dex-chan lover
I find the ex childhood friend side stories in the novel to be more interesting to follow.

Fed-Kun's army
@azorth on the contrary, I agree with the idea of localization because no. it is not meant to make the reader lazy and for the reader to not have to think about different cultures with different ideas. it is meant to make it easier for readers to read and understand an idea that may have a cultural barrier to it for understanding. It is not the reader's job to make sense of a translated manga by learning about Japanese culture and stuff. it is their job just to read and enjoy. It IS however the job of a translator/proofreader/quality checker to translate a literary work to make it easier to understand for people of said language.

rant aside, people who are calling the sword girl a tsundere, I would have to disagree lol. she's just a plain psycho who has some really big problems.

@omegaxis1 no i’m pretty sure they’re just horny and like harems, not actual romantic development
@bythos you’re probably right tbh, but while i also feel like she’ll start looking for him and eventually find him, i reeeaally don’t wanna see him getting back with her even if she becomes a better person.
@Valve yeah lol like i said they’re horny

@icekatze that’s a pretty good analogy there ngl, and yeah making up with your target of abuse is 90% of the time just some self satisfaction with no actual benefit for the abused. Just move on and improve yourself, they don’t wanna see you even if you ARE sorry

Users who are viewing this thread