A Sword Master Childhood Friend Power Harassed Me Harshly, so I Broke off Our Relationship and Made a Fresh Start at the Frontier as a Magic Swordsman

Huh...
Generally sounds like something I'll check out, at least for a bit, to see how it goes.
From the description and some comments damn does his 'childhood friend/GF' seems like a damn bitch.
Having said that, seeing some comments maybe there is more to it, or that yes maybe he could have tried to 'fix the situation' earlier, or talking about issues with her or whatever, but still she certainly has a lot of responsibility for bow things ended up.

Eh, after checking it out she doesn't seem as bad as I expected, but still a bit of a bitch....

So for everyone who read the first few pages and thought that the MC and ex-girlfriend could have talked it out, she was worse in the original novel this is based on.

In the manga she is depicted more like a tsundere, however, in the novel, she comes across as a far more selfish and abusive personality, actively berating the MC for stress relief and appears to enjoy him being apologetic/submissive to her afterwards. It is also not shown in the manga but prior to the break-up the MC had mainly stayed with the ex-girlfriend as she had ruined his self-confidence, and after actively working as an adventure (earning a platinum badge which isn't shown), changing both his self and public image from her accessory to a competent adventure, which leads MC to the finale decision.

Lastly is a side story from the novel, it is reveled that while the ex-girlfriend wants him back, it is only so he can dogeza in front of her and apologize for running away, along side that it's stated that she gave the MC equipment and money because "For [MC] who won’t have work when I’m not around" and was surprised that the MC who became too "concited and terrible" and is actually "just a good-for-nothing", had money to escape

https://zkytl.wordpress.com/2020/08/09/msm-side-story-1/

mc a big beta tbh you can tell the gf had a sort of tough love and just wanted to make him a better swordsman.

Ok, so I have mixed feelings about this. Before I would have thought that what he did was perfectly justified BUT after reading the first chapter its not so cut and dry. First of all, leaving the relationship was his choice and he had to do right by himself, especially after being abused day in and day out, not questioning that. She turned into a complete bitch and no one deserves to be treated like that. THAT SAID, she was obviously a good person at point, and only treated him like that because she was truly and safe comfortable with him when she was under tons of stress, and he understood the stress part.
So this is where I run into a dilemma. Relationships are a 2 way street. If there are issues you try to fix them instead of just walking out immediately, which he didn't seem to even try, at least not that we even see. He instead snuck out on his own to do quests, instead of being supportive of her work, which led to her being more stressed and treating him worse cause of it, which again, he understood. So honestly what he did was in essence emotionally cheating and leaving her stranded with all the responsibility. Then he peace's out, leaving her distraught without truly understanding why, because while she did think she may have been a little harsh, she didn't realize how bad she's gotten.
As I was typing this I got more and more mad at the MC realizing the whole situation. His girlfriend was the pushy type that was a busybody but had his best interest as heart, just happened to get too much responsibility pushed on her without a healthy way to relieve it. While the MC is, and much as I don't like the word, a beta, that kept internalizing everything without putting in any effort to fix the relationship till he decided it was time to screw off. Overall it was a mismatched pair.
If we are placing blame, I would say that its at least 80% his fault and 20% hers. And at first I really felt bad for the MC, but after thinking it over, no, he is very much at fault here for being a crappy person and boyfriend. Also I now realize that this is probably the author self projecting about a bad breakup or something, or what he thinks his audience will rally behind.
What I hope will happen is that the girlfriend will find a person that appreciates her and helps her get out of the rut she is going to be in. And that the MC gets payback for being a piece of crap person.
But what will probably happen, is that the MC will get a harem of girls and have the girlfriend crawling back to him asking for forgiveness, and will either get it and be accepted into the harem after some degrading events for her, or be told to f off. I really hope it doesn't go this way, but we will see.

@Deathyoda218 Ok so this changes my stance again then, but a few questions before that:
So in the side story, do we find out those being her internal thoughts about him or was she talking to someone, because then she could still be putting up an act. Also was it really all she wanted him back for is the dogeza or was it just her tsun and misguided way of trying to get him back. If she really is terrible deep down then to hell with her, but if she just has a hard time and just needs help to be set on the straight path thats a different story, quite literally. I'm only asking since you read the novel and have more insight, while we are stuck with really just one chapter right now lol

Fed-Kun's army
@livingicy Beta if you take shit, beta if you don't take shit. There really is no winning with the internet and their buzzwords. You would never catch me saying this is a well-written manga but my god you guys have such a limited vocabulary. Don't use the same word for everything just because it's popular.

@Acciunt They are all her internal thoughts, it's shown that she also hides all her bad habits in front of others, excluding MC, instead behaving the way a "Noble" should.

To describe their relationship as simply as possible - They are childhood friends who made a promise [1] which the sword was meant to represent, however after reaching a certain point [2] the girlfriend decided that MC was too weak to join her anymore, with the increased stress she became more and more abusive to MC but ultimately believes she had done nothing wrong, she also believes [3] and that MC is the currently breaking the promise [1]

[1]
Build and manage an Orphanage for other kids like them
[2]
Both reached platinum but MC couldn't initialy keep up with the Girlfriend
[3]
MC is too weak to actually do anything and is only trying to prove a point before returning to her

Lastly if you were worried about harem
from what I read so far MC will only be in a relationship/romance with the mage girl.

If the girl was supposed to be evil they didn't do a good job of conveying it at all, feels more like the MC just jumped on the opportunity to dump her over a minor argument and some insults she said from being overworked. Was it not possible for him to tell her the problem before dumping her?

I'm not even sure why she exists and why she's in the title if she's essentially gone after the first chapter and we move onto a generic OP power fantasy.

Regardless of what happened in the LN the manga should be sense-able without me having to scour other sources to understand the character's motivations.

Seems annoying so I'll probably skip this one.

description doesnt fit the chapters

edit read the novel description fits more or less
she more or less treats him like a pet and spread rumors about him being her lover and being useless herself, so they werent realy lovers more like childhood friends and she used him to vent her negative feelings.
also doesnt seem to be a lovers tiff
his love if it ever was there should be dead in the water now
dont know why the artist chose to display her so favourably

Love this. I hope the childhood friend fights for His affection as he falls in love with mage girl.

Users who are viewing this thread