Akuma Koujo - Vol. 4 Ch. 20

Group Leader
I promise the first arc that actually establishes Yurushia as a character is kino and you should read it. Really weird that they left out the literal only reason you’d care about anything.
I was fully expecting some sort of flashback this chapter to give a general idea of what was going on

Dex-chan lover
I was fully expecting some sort of flashback this chapter to give a general idea of what was going on
Honestly even with the context this is kind of convoluted and confusing. Cross dimension shenanigans mixed with time travel. There would be too much to explain in one flashback.

Dex-chan lover
Onza's really rocking that stubble and jacket.

For someone who has never read the novel, I'll try guessing what's going on.

Yuzu reincarnated as Yurushia -> reincarnated back to Yuzu a few years before her original timeline's death

manga happens

Twintails stabs Yuzu and seals her

cat (Yurushia's familiar) uses this chance to restore her memories

12 years have passed in the real world but only 6 months in the hyperbolic time chamber

12 years was also the time needed for the monks to completely seal Yuzu/Yurushia, and Onza & Yuuki managed to interfere at the last second, successfully freeing Yuzu/Yurushia

we are here

Dex-chan lover
Haven't read the LN but it really feels like the manga got cancelled so they're skipping to the ending

Dex-chan lover
Yeah.. I'll bounce this off some people and see if I made mistakes, but the time travel stuff is just hard to understand in general no matter what since she's talking about 3 different lives all at once basically (and also Manga readers know almost nothing about her life as Yurushia)

It's confusing even in the WN but the thing is... the WN has already established a lot of this so they could get away with incomplete explanations. It's like: Why did she age 6 months while everyone else aged way more..dunno, Manga doesn't bother to explain. Hell, I only know how old they are supposed to be due to the WN..

I'll try to make it at least a little easier to understand if I can though
I do want to make clear I have nothing but respect for the work you’ve done Lev. When translation occurs from any language to another language nuance is unfortunately lost, my statement on the translation wasn’t in regards to poor quality, rather I just can’t tell how much nuance of the original was naturally lost or how much it lacked to begin with.

Thank you so much for your work Lev.

Dex-chan lover
I’m sure this isn’t confusing to any potential manga readers at all. Rather, Yurushia’s (full) return and Rinne don’t mean anything because the multiple arcs with them were just skipped over.

Confused who this is for. Usually adaptations are there to increase sales for the original right? Can’t imagine manga onlies being interested in the novel after reading this…

I came up with 2 theories.

1. They ones doing the manga just wants to ruin this series

2. It is possible that someone licensed the 1st volume but never made a manga. So in theory, if you couldn't start on 1st volume, this would be the only other place they could start

We can only hope that if this is the case, then when the license expires they can go back to 1st volume

Group Leader
I came up with 2 theories.

1. They ones doing the manga just wants to ruin this series

2. It is possible that someone licensed the 1st volume but never made a manga. So in theory, if you couldn't start on 1st volume, this would be the only other place they could start

We can only hope that if this is the case, then when the license expires they can go back to 1st volume
Yeah, when this manga first started I assumed that they would do like the Ascendance of a Bookworm manga did and have multiple mangaka's do it at once, but that doesn't seem to be the case

Group Leader
it doesn't help that the translation has somewhat broken English
So QC'd it a bit and bounced some of the pages that I was having issues on how to word off another translator, tell me what you think! It should make a bit more sense now...although this part is just confusing no matter what

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, when this manga first started I assumed that they would do like the Ascendance of a Bookworm manga did and have multiple mangaka's do it at once, but that doesn't seem to be the case
It doesn't have to be in parallel. Sometimes what can happen is a studio licenses only first few volumes. But due to reasons never ends up releasing it. So they pretty much end up sitting on the license until it expires

So a different studio licenses the later volumes

So QC'd it a bit and bounced some of the pages that I was having issues on how to word off another translator, tell me what you think! It should make a bit more sense now...although this part is just confusing no matter what
I assume you re-uploaded the edited one? Just read through it and it does read off better mostly now, although this part still seems like it has some issues:

"Perhaps the technique was supposed to take 12 years, chipping away at by [existence] like sand falling out an hourglass"

I'm a translator myself, if you need help with lines you may consult me too.

Group Leader
I assume you re-uploaded the edited one? Just read through it and it does read off better mostly now, although this part still seems like it has some issues:

"Perhaps the technique was supposed to take 12 years, chipping away at by [existence] like sand falling out an hourglass"

I'm a translator myself, if you need help with lines you may consult me too.
Oh, there being a typo doesn't help. It's supposed to be "My [existence]" not "By"

But thanks! I might message you if I run into another chapter like this one

Oh, there being a typo doesn't help. It's supposed to be "My [existence]" not "By"

But thanks! I might message you if I run into another chapter like this one
Oh my god suddenly the sentance makes so much more sense!

Dex-chan lover
I have been asking, over and over for a fucking tag to be added!

"LN SHORT"

A tag that let's everybody know that, regardless of translation quality, nothing is going to make any sense or matter; it’s a short novel to generate sales, not a story that somebody wants to tell.

And I keep getting shouted down.

This fucking Chapter makes no goddamn sense!
Why?
Because it’s a Light Novel Short to generate sales, not a heroic/tragic story for people to read.

It's an extended commercial, and we deserve to know that.

Users who are viewing this thread