Arrogant Slave - Ch. 32 - Divine Protection

Dex-chan lover
Oh. So all those villagers, in the end will eventually die out:fml:... and the cultists were actually (coincidentally) right...

Group Leader
I’d love an update in a few chapters saying that half the country they just left had died from drinking contaminated water

So, they didn't even bother to boil their water before drinking it?
Boiling water wasn’t always a common practice and even when it was, wood can be expensive especially for peasants

Supporter
Coming off of the last "arc," this one really didn't end in any kind of satisfying way at all...

Power Uploader
Man the upcoming raws are becoming serious is all I'll say...
I was curious so I had to look. I love how at the end of that one chapter she's like "It was after being called "The Barefoot Slave" that I realized I left the shoes that the Commoner had bought for me back at the house..."

Double-page supporter
So if the people who drank from the well did die from drinking the well water, who brought all the corpses out into the square? The cult? Some random person? Either way, it's ironic that the cult was actually right in this case and now the entire town is probably doomed.
Nobody did, nobody caught those people, they drank from the well, and they died while on the street.

Double-page supporter
Oh so it was a case of being unlucky when came to drinking that water & not something orchestrated by that cult. Sucks for that little girl but maybe some peace has been restored in that town. Thanks for the translations.

The whole town will die in ~1 day from drinking the well water, so yea, it will be peaceful with nobody around...

Double-page supporter
After spending some 15 minutes reading and rereading this arc, I think I understand most of it:

• The "dirty water", just had herbs in it.
  • The well water is the "poison"
  • MC group did not drink any well water, which is why MC left soon after

- The group actually had a surprisingly firm understanding on the issue.

What I don't understand:
  • What happened to the group? (Hope so)
  • Were the wells go so much actually cursed?
  • Even if the well water is un drinkable, I feel like it should had noticeable discoloration, and it appears to, so why did they not notice that.
  • Was it really even a human town to begin with (Did the herbs actually hurt anyone)?

It's actually a pretty interesting plot line, and I want to know more now...

Dirty water was dirty, because it was from a wild stagnant spring, it was visually muddy or something. That being said, it turned out to be drinkable.
Well water was contaminated with some animal/human disease. Probably cholera, as it is the standard one.
The cultists were crazy cultists, but were right by accident.
Cultists were locked in cells, and they will die there when the population dies from cholera and there would be nobody to feed them.
Disease is not visible in water, and again, cholera fits the MO and symptoms.

Dex-chan lover
So, they didn't even bother to boil their water before drinking it?
Some contaminates survive boiling. Toxins and chemicals that don't break down into something safe. You need to filter and test well water (or just watch the expendable bro after he drinks a glass). I think the water was likely contaminated in such a way based on how quickly the butterfly died. Likely something that is tasteless (no extreme pH situation cause they would taste it) and quickly bioactive (it's a work of fiction though so the author may have not been thinking that deep).

Side note: boiling is energy intensive for a medieval society which also likely hasn't come up with the germ theory explanation of disease. Western society didn't itself until relatively recently. Surgeons wouldn't even wash their hands before surgeries.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Well in the end... slave did as master asked. Slave doesn't care what happens afterward. Slave is happily carrying her master.

Dex-chan lover
Do these idiots not have a cover on the well? Do they not boil water? Wouldn’t random lake water be just as teeming with harmful bacteria?

Dex-chan lover
There was no real good outcome for this place, well water or happy spring water. No one bothered to fetch water from someplace else to begin with.

Dex-chan lover
So ig the things in the spring's water was actually traces of the herbs that purified the water from contamination?

Dex-chan lover
There was no real good outcome for this place, well water or happy spring water. No one bothered to fetch water from someplace else to begin with.
Probably there wasn't any other water source near the place. Plenty of villages in the old days were naturally formed near rivers, springs, or a well and once they dried up the village basically died or migrated elsewhere. It just happens the water source got poisoned this time

Users who are viewing this thread