Arrogant Slave - Ch. 32 - Divine Protection

Fed-Kun's army
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be very peaceful when everyone dies from contaminated well water cuz a slave and her owner tried to play avenger.
To be faiiir, that town was already probably screwed over. I don't think the authorities would play nice with the cult once they figure out they killed that swordsman guy, and those who didn't join the cult would still be dead anyways after sneaking a sip of the sewer water.
They just expedited the process.

Dex-chan lover
Do these idiots not have a cover on the well? Do they not boil water? Wouldn’t random lake water be just as teeming with harmful bacteria?
The common sense of now is different with the common sense in the middle ages. There's a reason 16 was considered middle-aged back then

Dex-chan lover
After spending some 15 minutes reading and rereading this arc, I think I understand most of it:

• The "dirty water", just had herbs in it.
  • The well water is the "poison"
  • MC group did not drink any well water, which is why MC left soon after

- The group actually had a surprisingly firm understanding on the issue.

What I don't understand:
  • What happened to the group? (Hope so)
  • Were the wells go so much actually cursed?
  • Even if the well water is un drinkable, I feel like it should had noticeable discoloration, and it appears to, so why did they not notice that.
  • Was it really even a human town to begin with (Did the herbs actually hurt anyone)?

It's actually a pretty interesting plot line, and I want to know more now...
It’s weird how you were completely right in the first half (Ngl), and still misunderstood things in the second… but in order:

• They got their ass beat and thrown in prison,
  • Not cursed, just contaminated,
  • It doesn’t have to look funky to be undrinkable. Probably should taste nasty though,
  • Pretty sure they were just goofy humans. Goofy as in terrifying.

Basically, just good old Hamita shenanigans.

Double-page supporter
Do these idiots not have a cover on the well? Do they not boil water? Wouldn’t random lake water be just as teeming with harmful bacteria?
You can see that the well DOES have a cover in all of the images of it.
And there's no guarantee that boiling the water would have made it safe; that depends on whether the contaminants are micro-organisms like parasites and cysts, bacteria, viruses, or even just invisible, tasteless, and odorless like arsenic.
On top of all that, as many have already pointed out, boiling water is fuel-intensive and not something to be taken lightly. Like, sure, it has to be done to cook, but boiling all your water every time is going to use up a lot of fuel.

Yes, while lake water will have bacteria in it, whether that is the specific harmful bacteria, and in sufficient quantities to actually kill a person, depends on a number of variables. But if even insects are dying when they touch a well's water, I think that said well water is far more deadly than any random lake's water.

Dex-chan lover
The poisoned one died by drinking from the well. The well is poisonous
I know, they stopped the cultists who were blocking people from drinking from the well. There’s nothing stopping the town now from dying.

Dex-chan lover
There we go...the Hamita twist
Created the cultists to look like villains but, in the end, they were actually the good guys.

Thing is, the cultists probably wanted to save everyone and to do so, they acted like...well, crazy cultists. When the solution could have been simple: two random villagers, one drinks spring water and the other well water, separate them and check who's dead/sick the day after. Pure old "scientific" experimentation.
Sometimes you can't save everyone, sacrifices must be made.

So, is the commoner's leg seriously injured, or is it actually broken?
Or is the slave insisting on carrying them like that?

Dex-chan lover
Rather than boiling, alcohol was used to purify and preserve water. People of all ages drank diluted beer or wine, while boiling water (to make tea) was more of a thing in East Asia.
Not really diluted, just that they either didn't ferment it for long or the materials had low amounts of sugars to produce alcohol content.

Dex-chan lover
One word . . . Yyyyikesss

Also
Pretty expected. That said, I feel like killing people who drank the contaminated water might have been slightly counterproductive. Just letting them die by themselves would have demonstrated the problem pretty effectively without making villains of themselves. Cultist nutters or not it's a little hard to swallow the logic, but then again Hamita never seemed to care much about that
What if . . . . Years ago when someone drank from the well, they got very very ill, agonizing the pain so bad that they begged to be just off from this world. What if that's how the cult started, some "tradition" so to say started, but overtime people forgot how "tradition" was even started, especially for those who don't know how to write.

Probably the most teeth gritting chapter of this series

Thank you as always for the sl!

Contributor
So they admit to executing citizens who drank the banned water. Still makes them killers even if they didn't use poison. There was a better way to do things.

The surprising thing to me is that the spring was actually potable, despite being an open air body of water surrounded by vegetation like some common pond and the water drawn from it having visual sedimentation.

Anyway, they're leaving the town so whatever consequence will happen, will happen without them seeing it.

inb4 zombie apocalypse comes next

Dex-chan lover
There we go...the Hamita twist
Created the cultists to look like villains but, in the end, they were actually the good guys.

Thing is, the cultists probably wanted to save everyone and to do so, they acted like...well, crazy cultists. When the solution could have been simple: two random villagers, one drinks spring water and the other well water, separate them and check who's dead/sick the day after. Pure old "scientific" experimentation.
Sometimes you can't save everyone, sacrifices must be made.
They are maybe already do that. But there is always people who look at something foreign (the cultist activities) as taboo because they fear about the unknown. So the cultist would just act like one anyway as if they don't have a choice

Dex-chan lover
I think that a lot of religious rules we have in our time is also influenced somewhat by similar stuff like this.
Take several instances of religions not allowing to eat pork. Pork is assosiated with diseases especially if uncooked, and zoonoses like swine flu. My guess is that religions that didn't allow pork, did it more out for the sake of avoiding diseases than of religious purposes really.

Users who are viewing this thread