Asuperu Kanojo - Vol. 4 Ch. 28 - I didn't believe it (Part 2)

Double-page supporter
i was expecting dark times but this has surpassed my expectations. i don't think i should just assume everything will work out in the end anymore.

@Abedeus

There's also the fact that people with mental disabilities such as autism are still treated like burdens on Japanese society for not meeting their rigid, unrealistic standards. Most of the time, people don't believe anyone with a mental illness is actually ill, choosing to believe that they're just assholes who need to stop whining, suck it up, and conform. Which is obviously stupid, of course, but Japan hasn't made the same strides in acknowledging mental illness as, say, North America, Canada, or England. For example, in one of my favorite mangas, With The Light, the main character's autistic son, who is a toddler early in the book, frequently wanders off and damages peoples' property. She tries to stop him and explain why he's the way he is, but others feel she's just a bad mother who doesn't discipline him hard enough, even her own in-laws.

Dex-chan lover
Man, the mother had good intentions, but she herself had her own messed up problems. She was obviously in an abusive relationship, but she conditioned herself (and tried to do it with her daughter) into thinking that was normal and acceptable and that she was the problem for even daring to speak up.

Honestly i just want Yokoi and his dad to beat up that asshole father.

Dex-chan lover
What I'm glad about is that Yokoi also has his demons he's fighting as well.

If it was all Megumi that had scars, both literal and metaphorical, and monster she had to overcome, it would feel too one-sided.

I think that because Yokoi isn't perfect and also has his own internal struggles and trauma he has to surpass, that it strengthens him as a character.

It also makes it clear why we only ever see Yokoi talk about his father, or only has his father over. I'm assuming his mother was abusive towards him and they split at some point, and the father got custody, despite some faults on his own part. There's a lot you can infer about one panel given the context around it and what you see, and that's some damn clever writing.

Just found this series today...

MY GOD, its good.

Please, oh author-san or whatever gods are in this world. Please give this manga a happy ending. Those first few chapters foreshadowed a sad ending and I'm 99% sure a part of me will die inside even if its fitting for the story's 'theme'... 😭😭😭

and wow, the character development is so astounding and realistic, like god damn, the struggles they have...

As dark as that last chapter seemed I think this is going in a good direction. Building a support network is a huge part of dealing with these kinds of things. Having caring and understanding friends and family around to depend on is crucial

Fed-Kun's army
@Juliko yes... I agree. Japan is high on conformity. There’s even a saying that says “the nail that sticks out will get struck down” an it is one of the most disturbing aspect of the Japanese culture. “Disability” is seen as an oddity that is shameful and pitiable instead of diversity and a chance to grow the community. Most people outside of Japan doesn’t know the truth of how backwards Japan is comparing to other developed countries.

Thank you for translating. but waiting is a painful thing I'm gonna try to learn Japanese so I can read the manga without the translation.

Dex-chan lover
so, he has his own problems. A fear of people....wow. these two are going through the ringer.

similarly I said to myself "I need to Survive" even tho I am Misanthropist

from what I see here is The Mother is a Submissive, a Pacifist
and The Father is Abusive and Narrow-minded

Man so many people here expecting the man to fix the woman when he's suffering as well. This is probably gonna end up being yet another one where the guy has to fix himself and the girl. Not like anyone here expects him to get any support from anyone including her cuz he's a guy right? All the comments are saying for him to step up and do it all.

I guess cuz she had it worse he's gonna have to do all the work right?

Fucking hell, sexism is a bitch.

Users who are viewing this thread