Bakidou (2018) - Ch. 151 - The Hunter at the Heart of Tokyo

Dex-chan lover
That was a weird ending but I am interested to see Pickles fighting against Jack

Contributor
Probably my least favorite Baki arc, but Baki at it's worst is still a hell of an entertaining read. Would be lying if I said I wasn't excited for what's to come now too. Thanks a bunch for the great work you guys have done bringing us this series, and especially thank you to penguin for all your work over the years! Enjoy retirement!

In the entire series, the Sumo Arch was the least interesting and fun, but hell, with the length of Baki, this is the only arch I can say something as decisive as this, which is amazing for a series spamming as long as Baki in such a close-knit setting. While Baki himself has reached the peak of fighting skills, I really wish we got to see more of his personal side, and his relationships; but hey, that is not what the Baki manga is, so I can't really fault the damn thing for not being what I want it to be.

But this coming setup looks to be a fun one. I really wish we get to see bigger brawls and free-for-alls in this next arch. Cuz now, it is basically One Punch Man with Baki and yojiro being Saitamas, and the development pending on the rest of the cast.

Dex-chan lover
But this coming setup looks to be a fun one. I really wish we get to see bigger brawls and free-for-alls in this next arch. Cuz now, it is basically One Punch Man with Baki and yojiro being Saitamas, and the development pending on the rest of the cast.
Now, hear me out. How about Pickle but Musashi possesses him and he manages to french kiss Ogre.

Double-page supporter
What a huge shitty story compared to the one before.

Baki Dou: Greatest samurai ever resurrected; fights by any means to handle the current threat at equal-footing and achieve glory; kills off a beloved established character and doesn't care much about it; gets so dangerous it's no longer about wanting to fight him for fun but to get rid of him because he's a shameless killing psychopath; his influence makes three established characters evolve (Jack, Pickle, Motobe) has to get "defeated" by a tag-team (Baki & Tokuagawa's Sister).

Baki Dou (2018[lb Jobbers]): hype up the greatest jobber; talk about the history of jobbing in the ancient sport of jobbing; the background characters and fodder job as expected; new OC DO-NOT-STEAL jobber gets jobbed by the OG jobber; OC DNS jobber beats a big beloved character who was playing with him but gets jobbed by that BBC in the same arc/series; OC DNS Jobber's rival appears but he jobs quicker than the first and his quirk is he never admits defeat; Jobber's journey ends with him jobbing the quickest ever throughout the entire arc/series. Job.

I've been a fan of Baki for about 15 years now. This was definitely the weakest arc in all of Baki.

This to me felt like it would have been a filler arc in the anime or something. Nothing really happened. There was no main antagonist. No development for Baki, Yujiro or any of the significant secondary characters. No deaths. Nothing.

Of course it was all about these sumo wrestlers but after the series went all OTT with Pickle who could kill dinosaurs and cloned super Samurai's...a few really good Sumos just seems out of place. It's like an arc that should have happened in Baki before the Chinese Challenge arc or something.

A whole series about Sumo wrestlers and they all just lost one after another. A 6v6 match up where the Sumos lost all 6 fights.

This Kehaya comes out of nowhere just to lose to Doppo. Then Sukune who they built up the whole time only to at the end bring him all the way back down.

They did the same thing for him that they did with Ali Jr. He was built up, beat Doppo, beat Shibukawa and then those defeats were undone and he got effortlessly beaten in a short fight against Baki.

They've just done with again, he beat Oliva, but that was undone when he fought him again and lost. Fought Baki and was beaten in a short fight.

It wasn't a bad series but it was just a waste of time.

Aggregator gang
This arc sucks. I think this is tied with New Grappler Baki for most directionless arc, almost nothing really happens and what happens feels disconnected from a large plot. I worried during the final chapters of the previous arc the series had nowhere to go after Musashi, and unfortunately I think that's the case.

Dex-chan lover
This arc sucks. I think this is tied with New Grappler Baki for most directionless arc, almost nothing really happens and what happens feels disconnected from a large plot. I worried during the final chapters of the previous arc the series had nowhere to go after Musashi, and unfortunately I think that's the case.
I'm glad to see someone else disliked New Grappler Baki as much as I did. I never understood the praise for it. I gave that a 6 and this a 5. Both could drop a point if I'm being honest. They're my least favorite of all the parts.

Anyway, thanks to TheSpinyBack team for all the translations. And specifically to penguin for your work. Have a nice retirement so to speak. Onto the next arc.

Last edited:
I’m pretty confused why most people dislike the Musashi ending so much. It’s not like he was taken out without losing. Baki had him out and if he wanted he could have stabbed the sword through him, but Baki doesn’t want to kill so Tokugawa’s sister took him out. I think people missed the whole Musashi being defeated thing

Users who are viewing this thread