BEASTARS - Vol. 19 Ch. 162 - An Early Afternoon with a Good Wife and a Wise Mother

Group Leader
Discord community link. Come for the fun discussion, release pings, special unreleased omake, side stories, leaks and stuffs. https://discord.gg/Beastars

Time for my usual Chapter review

So Melon is fine with Agata. Melon was planning on killing Agata [since Melon realized Shishigumi was planning to overthrow in 150 but random Legoshi appeared. I’m guessing Melon didn’t do anything to Agata since Dolph is already dead, pointless to kill more? Shishigumi can’t do anything to Melon after 156?

Melon says he hates the scent of adult females, yet becomes attracted to Haru who slept with many…

In the past [see ch 140 threads], I predicted Melon had herbivore dad and carnivore mom, as difference between Legoshi & Haru vs Melon is the influence of parents. Legoshi’s future child will have Legoshi to teach them how to deal with their instincts. However, Melon upbringing implies he did not have said parent influence, thus unable to control his urges to kill, thus lack of herbivore parents. I suspect dad is herbivore since dad is less needed for Melon to grow up [eaten during pregnancy or something like that]. I guess this chapter confirms that.

A fairytale castle where both sides are keeping secrets, will eventually break down when one of the secrets is forced out.

I understand that part where Melon like his name, as it shows his individuality. People don’t like to be knowing as XXX as that generalized them. Part of them yes, but not the defining features.

Slight chance the panda is related to Gouhin. Melon is around age 9, so 15 years ago. Gouhin should be 25 during this time. Say Gouhin had a child at age 17 while he was wild, his child would be about age 7 or 8.

It has taken a while for me to understand the impact. Melon anchor [to be good, to limit himself] was His mom love, the idea his name is unique and separate him from the idea of being just a hybrid, and the fairytale life. However the revelation shows the anchor does not exist, his name means he is just a hybrid. He has no reason to be good anymore and just to give in to his instincts.

When compared to Legoshi, Legoshi has an opposite case. Legoshi only saw himself as a wolf, but meeting Haru added Male wolf to that identity.

For me, one of the main themes of Beastars is identity. Melon becomes known as just the Hybrid. Legoshi becomes more than the gray wolf. Leano suffering was due to the lost of her own identity.

Notice how Melon’s mom doesn’t fight back. Seems like she broke like Gouhin’s patient, but lived due to Melon.

From discord server [thank you guys for your views], a few of the ideas is the mom did not plan on eating the dad, but her instincts took over. A failed case that Gouhin usually takes care off. I assume the mom really loved Melon and did not plan on eating due to her effort in the fairytale facade. It just Melon took a grim look at the carnivore’s nature due to the lost of his anchors.

Supporter
The back story started off so sweet and then went from 0-100 in the blink of an eye

Dex-chan lover
My lord I knew melon was crazy.. But I didn't know it was something he was born with. Like holy hell Im also 100% sure his pops was cray cray too
many thanks

I honestly feel I should be surprised, but with how fucked up Melon has been the whole series, I figured one or both of his parents had some screws loose. Nice to see it's hereditary

Dex-chan lover
Gosh. I though we'd get a wounded soul twisted by society but we actually get that plus the soul relishing in its chaotic tendencies.
Kinda joker-esque in chaos but none of the humor or "fun times"

Fed-Kun's army
wow....so his whole family was fucked up.....all the more reason that someone should grab his horns and use 'em to pop his head off like a bottle cap.

Anyone else gonna comment on how melons are "not fruits"? Dafuq are they then? Minerals?

Dex-chan lover
Oh goodie, more flashbacks, these are so goo- zZZzZzZzZzZ

Group Leader
Geez, no wonder he's so messed up.
I hope Louis will catch him cause Legosi can't do his fucking job.

Dex-chan lover
Good try Paru, but Melon's still long outlived his welcome in the story as far as I'm concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread