Beatrice

Um @Aquarosa.... America was colonised by Europe...European slavery IS African/US/Carribbean slavery... To divorce the two is to not understand ANYTHING about this form of slavery.

Also by that rationale then the anger felt over the depiction of slavery is justified as the slavery being depicted is the European usage of slavery which was brutal and cruel. You can't romanticise or 'justify' it.

Now if you want to instead suggest the webcomic is using the European historic setting as an artistic reference, with S. Korean history of slavery/indentured labour then that's different and more complex.

It's still dubious that ALL slaves were treated well or 'enjoyed' this status. Or were as happy go lucky or in anyway joyful as Chloe, but it's an argument. (One I struggle with and other historians also find complex & contradictory.)

As another comment noted, if one has to ask one's own master to drink water...how content are you?

I honestly like the art and mybe the story but as what i´ve seen in the comments and read rn ima drop this just because it romanticiseś slavery and because of my prefrence like its not my cup of tea :/ 1st she says she enjoys and is happy with her life and acts all cute and happy very cliche btw. like her character doesnt fit the backround that she has, also who enjoys their life having to serve and do labor and all that and still be happy like- alsooooo he literally put her through this and was about to kill her as said somewhere in the story but he gets to know her falls in love like bruhhhh and sis is also falling for him like yea you had a horrible husband but this dude was about to kill you and is the reason why you have to do all this labor if you think about it is very weird in irl :/ btw yall plz dont bash me this is my personal opinion :)

Dropping this primarily due to messy translations and the story becoming less enjoyable to read. Especially with how it treats slavery as something that isn't an issue and romanticizing it. It will probably be dealt with at some point but I do not have the patience and while I do like the MC this is not the story that makes her shine. In fact it makes her quite annoying, same with all the other main characters.

I agree with @Sayorii-chii and @aesthetic_usernamecheck

How the story has been treating the topic of slavery feels shallow and just kills the world building for me. There is so much going on in the politics of this setting but the writing drops the ball on it. The characters have also been lackluster and our MC unfortunately feels stagnant. What little development there has been feels two-dimensional. I’m not even into the romance plot now because ML considered our MC a minor for most of the story so far lol so it just feels weird.

Trigger is probably the only likeable character in this so far lol

The MC is so one-dimensional, I'm surprised she's meant to have a brain at all. I'll still read it though, the art is quite nice

This newer translator that keeps dropping before Empire is sloppy... it's like the put it in googletranslate and never looked back.

@NittyBoo they pretty much did use google translate, there is a disclaimer page first thing in their chapters saying it is machine translated, and that they are doing this just for their sister so she can read the chapters a tiny bit faster. It's a one wo/man show. I give them props for how many chapters they crank out for their sis and how the are respectful to the scans group by taking their chapters down as the scans group uploads.

my only pet peeves are:

1. this translator

2. they said Chloe has black hair (cuz she's foreign) but its brown, and its stuck in my mind that its "black"

When I started reading this Webtoon early this year I was really confused because of the slavery and MCs opinion on her own status because in school I only heard of 'western' or 'ancient European' forms of slavery. Then I read some articles about South Korea's history of slavery. In my opinion this story is based on that one instead of any other country's whether it's a European setting or not. Just my opinion. And please do not get me wrong. I despise slavery in any form. I just cannot understand why people suppress other people for their own enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread