Beta site (v3) going live soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be quite awesome if we can read comments while reading chapters, you can display comments on the left or right side of the page. I mean there are lot of space you can do it. You can lift up the reading style options to the header. Also commenting is a bit meh because you should click and wait for the pop up.

The header is quite big...you can minimize it.
You can introduce bookmarking your favorite chapter option.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@vasuuu you can hide the header by clicking the first button of the four on the beta reader.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@mage_goo posted:

Is it possible to make it so that both pages always have same height first before adjusting the width? Just like the fit-to-container option.
At first I thought something was broken with the reader, but this seems to be actually a problem with the scanlation itself, since for whatever bizarre reason the even numbered pages are actually bigger (2604x4000px) than the odd ones (2075x3215px). Someone should fix the uploaded chapter.

I don't think I can blindly make it so the heights will always match, because things like scanlator credits pages and such will probably mess with that.

@mage_goo posted:

And unrelated, but how'd you quote a user like that, anyway?
It's a userscript I wrote and gave him. Would implement on the forums, but it's actually not very good since there's no way to quote bbcode tags yet.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@vasuuu posted:

It would be quite awesome if we can read comments while reading chapters, you can display comments on the left or right side of the page. I mean there are lot of space you can do it. You can lift up the reading style options to the header. Also commenting is a bit meh because you should click and wait for the pop up.
People have suggested putting the comments in the sidebar. I definitely won't do it by default, because the chapter comments may contain spoilers. Another problem is that the sidebar height depends on the browser height, so it may not be a good option for many users. Opening up the comments in a modal window (similarly to the settings and reports modals) instead of being a link to a separate page would be great.

In any case, at the moment I don't have sufficient access to the comments data (in other words, Holo hasn't implemented a comments API yet), so there's not really anything I can do.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday
I don't think I can blindly make it so the heights will always match, because things like scanlator credits pages and such will probably mess with that.
Well, if anything, it'll make those huge res credit page that's somehow common nowadays actually bearable in double page view.
Or just to cover those case where the credit page is way smaller than the page, make that if the combined width after adjusting the height is lower than the container's width, keep the smaller one to original size, but "undo" the scaling of the bigger one as to fill the rest of the width/until it's back to original size. So basically behaving the same as now.

And if you're worried about the possibility of credit page taking like, 75% of the width if used with this, well, those kind of credit page usually detected as page spread and thus displayed individually, no?
So, all base covered?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I guess what should be done, somehow, is to make sure that individual pages in double page mode take up no more than 50% of the available width regardless of their actual size, except when they are rendered alone like in the case of stitched spread images. It's that latter caveat that makes things annoying. I might have to set that up programmatically instead of relying on pure css ;_;

can you add "viewed" or "read" (eyes) logo/mark beside chapter after we read an unfollowed manga?
i know that's personal request. But somehow it would be helped because you can remember what chapter of manga you've read eventhough its not interested for you (to avoid re-read same manga)

sorry and thanks for read my request

Power Uploader
@Cera- posted:
can you add "viewed" or "read" (eyes) logo/mark beside chapter after we read an unfollowed manga?
i know that's personal request. But somehow it would be helped because you can remember what chapter of manga you've read eventhough its not interested for you (to avoid re-read same manga)

It was removed on purpose as it was taking up far too much space to be sustainable.

ah, i see, because there were so many great new feature now. So it can't be helped
Thanks for reply, Good luck for the next update

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday
I guess what should be done, somehow, is to make sure that individual pages in double page mode take up no more than 50% of the available width regardless of their actual size, except when they are rendered alone like in the case of stitched spread images.
This is actually a reasonable and far easier approach to this, dang. Essentially same result for far less effort.
I'm ashamed to say that I'm too fixed on the way my favorite offline manga reader handle this that I never thought about this kind of obvious solution.

It's that latter caveat that makes things annoying. I might have to set that up programmatically instead of relying on pure css ;_;
W-well, I can only say good luck.
Though from what I can see, it seems like the reader already handles tagging the other image to not be displayed in case of stitched page spread, so I think you just need to modify that part a bit so that it also tags the displayed image to display full-width.
Then again, I'm just a layman, so yeah.

Double-page supporter
The following page is kind of a mess to read through now, especially on mobile. It felt a lot cleaner and easier to go through at a glance when things were neatly on single lines per chapter rather than trying to group everything together like this, I don't think there was any need to change that. It ends up taking a lot more space to see less.
nzkuyn.png

Are there no longer multiple pages for the latest updates/releases? I liked having a bunch of pages to go back and check.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Shampooh posted:

It felt a lot cleaner and easier to go through at a glance when things were neatly on single lines per chapter rather than trying to group everything together like this, I don't think there was any need to change that.
What, you actually liked scrolling horizontally back and forth for each line?

Contributor
Re: The Random Manga Page:

The beta site's way of navigating to a random manga, seems to be that https://beta.mangadex.org/manga will serve a different manga's front page every time it is loaded.

While I can see why it would be nice to be able to hit F5 over and over again to get random manga, there's some quality of life issues for someone such as myself who has the practice of queuing up a few manga before reading any of them. Namely, if the browser crashes or some such, there's no way to recover what was on a bunch of queued "beta.mangadex.org/manga" tabs.

If I want to circumvent that situation, I have to navigate to the actual manga's page each time I've found one that I like. But since the random pages are served as if they were the front page of the manga in question, there's no link to the manga's URL itself on that page. So going through at least one intervening page is required to get to the URL of the front page of the manga that is already being shown... it's a wee bit of a pain.

Obviously, not an end-of-the-world nor an I-can't-use-this-site-now sort of thing, but...

If the random page can't be a redirect, it would be nice if, at the very least, getting to a manga's page from its representation on the random-manga page was a one-step process (Like, if I could click on the manga's title and be taken to it's front-page URL).

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Pokari if it helps, adding a manga to your follow list changes the URL from random to the manga URL
or clicking on the comments

Contributor
(EDIT: Ignore, I just had to clear cookies! If you have the same problem, do that. Although, it doesn't stop 100% of the time, it usually occurs if there's 2 versions of the same chapter done by the same group)

Does anyone else have errors using the 'Legacy' reader?

For example, I'm reading https://mangadex.org/chapter/83706/5 and it displays chapter 16 as chapter 355, even though the actual chapter is chapter 16 and my browsers has the tab titled as 'chapter 16'

Here's how it looks like :
0xTmq5i.png

Contributor
@Plykiya:

As far as workarounds go, I think I like that even less than clicking through a couple of links to get back to where I started. But, good to know.

Double-page supporter
What, you actually liked scrolling horizontally back and forth for each line?
I mean, I don't really have to? The manga title and chapter number, and I guess the read marker, are the only parts that really matter and they fit fine. I guess that might vary between devices though, so maybe it's how that's scaled that needs to be improved.

When using the beta on the phone, it sometime goes laggy when using long strip but it could be that I have shite internet.

Dex-chan lover
[ol]More colors for themes!

Easier way to switch between single page and entire chapters (ie a button on the manga pages) I use a really old tablet and anything like that would help a lot.

Genre search!

Recommended works[/ol]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread