Boukensha License o Hakudatsu Sareta Ossan Dakedo, Manamusume ga Dekita no de Nonbiri Jinsei o Ouka Suru - Vol. 4 Ch. 14.2

Dex-chan lover
heh, so Dario is just in the background for now

@AngryFerret
I just have a problem with sticking it without any context, sense to a plot and breaking the world cohesivness.

The lizard people eat fish raw
Getting fresh fish, which is what they're really good at, would be preferable over using up stored food
Sometimes, they take with them people on the ship who can't eat fish the way they do
So it makes sense that the lizard sailors would know how to prepare raw fish (freezing, deboning, cutting them into bite-sized pieces, etc)

Fermented food or seasoning with a long shelf life shouldn't be unusual on a ship either.

Also, eating things raw isn't unique to any real world culture/cuisine, so it wouldn't be unusual for a fantasy world culture to be similar to one.

Dex-chan lover
You know, for once, it kinda makes sense for a raw fish delectable to be used in a seafare, by a fantasy race that seems like their entire race just warming up to the idea of cooking.
Like, why would a lizardman cooks when raw taste the best for them?
Why would a sailor risk burning their ship when they can just eat things raw?

And yet, here we are, abandon context and world-building, it looks like Japanese food, therefore I hate it.

Dex-chan lover
dario just won the heart of all the japanese readers (and sashimi lovers)

Dex-chan lover
One comic-book writer after another from [Nation A] writes stories in which people from other nations discover cuisine from [Nation A] and every fucking one of them just loves it, because of course it's presumed by the writer to be objectively wonderful.

Neither the claim that those who object are “butthurt” or that, golly, the cuisine is great is a respectable response to those who complain. Being “butthurt” makes no one wrong; and the fact that you or I or any other one person likes some sort of food doesn't make it plausible that every fucking person will like it, so that it is somehow good writing to have every fucking character like it.

Dex-chan lover
So it turned into an isekai. And I was fond of it, because it was one of the few non-isekai fantasy stories I read.

Soy-sauce ... it doesn't go well with everything. I tried pure rice with soy-sauce and it wasn't a good experience, but I like me some sushi with it. Especially salmon nigiri or maki. I also found, that dipping cold schnitzel into soy-sauce is quite acceptable. You have to experiment a bit. Just do it with at least half a brain and don't put it onto ice cream or something.

Fun-fact: The taste of soy-sauce is quite similar to Maggi-Würze.

I don't know how many different soy-sauce types are out there, but I do prefer a brand. Kikkoman. But here in Europe its produced in the Netherlands and I don't know it and how much the recipe has been changed to suit european taste buds.

Dex-chan lover
@Qelix Not necessarily. Even Dungeons & Dragons has a pseudo-Japan in a lot of its settings. The "far east" country is just an excuse to inject some Japanese culture into fantasy settings so you can let your dwarf weapon master specialize in katanas if you want or stuff like that. Rule of cool, basically.

Lizardman reminds me of Kaiman from Dorohedoro... Though he would prefer gyoza over sashimi.

Dex-chan lover
Love when insert random Japanese cultural item here is used in a story that is complete non-isekai fantasy. Writing from experience is okay if done correctly. This almost never is and is also almost always done in such a jarring way.

Dex-chan lover
People in the comments section forgetting that throughout history people have loved things from newly discovered foreign countries due to their 'exotic' origins, and for that matter a lot of the world in the modern day loves Japanese food still.
This manga isn't the worst I've seen in regards to stroking nationalist ego but one thing we should remember is we are not the intended market audience, fellow Nippon countrymen are, we just get to read this by happenstance and some one being kind enough to translate it for us.
If an American comic book author made a comic for an American audience that had burgers and steaks as food items would American readers complain in mass? Should we expect non Americans to complain that their native foods aren't being used instead?

Users who are viewing this thread