Boy's Abyss - Vol. 4 Ch. 31 - Years and Years

Dex-chan lover
Maybe it's just me being stupid but why can't he leave town because of that? Sure it's sad but there's still nothing in the way, right?

Double-page supporter
@Makenai Gen's basically guilt tripping him by saying "see, your mom's forced to do this because you were abused by your dad when you were younger. You have to stay now bc filial piety and all that."

I'm the end we learnt reiji's dad was kicked out of town due to his abusive nature. If his dad is esemori he has some serious balls to come back after being chased out.
It seems to be a likely story that reiji forgot his dad was esemori due to trauma but even that isnt sitting well with me.

Dex-chan lover
Was expecting there was more to Gen than just simple bully.
The town is truly suffocating...

Dex-chan lover
LOVEEEE IT

This kind of manga are great bc they are so realistic, this is not the typical oh so they are the bad guys and this are the good guys there are nothing like that here, all those how just bad talking Reiji's mom or Gen can clearly see that they are not the villains of the story, everyone has his own problems, big or small that can make his own personal hell, and of course they are not good either, from here we, the readers, can think in 100 solutions or better ways to act to they situations, but for them it's actually hell, and anybody who have problems of any kind would know that we make some poor decisions bc we couldn't handle the situation, be it for ignorance or inexperience.

The situation is fuck up, Reiji now have a lot more of weigh in is back if he want to leave town, Gen looks like he really cares but he can't express his feelings well, making a relation all mess up and toxic, but I can understand tho, he know what Reiji has to pass trough when he was a kid, he see what his mom has to do, and see what his father is doing, of course he is gonna be a mess himself, and no, not bc his father is a scum make things easy, is his father for god sake, just ask all those persons with divorced or abandoned parents, it's complicated.

and Chako well, It's just Chako, we all know she is going through a lot herself, and that is why she can't see more that what is just in front of her, she doesn't know the half of reiji's worries, and is just gonna get worse and more confused for her

final thoughts? no I don't think Gen is gay, but I wouldn't be surprise either lol, I mean if you see what happen to Reiji and you have at least a little sympathy you would feel bad too, and he also feels responsible since his dad his involved, we can see he cares, he stop the bullying from other people to Reiji, we see how upset he got when he know Reiji try to kill himself, he go crazy, and NOW we can see he actually feels bad for how he talks to him trying to convince Reiji to stay, bc he thinks is for the best, now that's bad, Reiji would be better leaving town but he is anxious of let him go since he has being looking after him all his live, you know, like a mother feels when her son leave the house, and he is just being toxic now, possessive, trying to say its reiji fault and all that bullshit bc he want him to fucking stay, he create this irrational attachment with reiji, which is very common in relationships, DAMN, I was like that once too, now I feel like shit for that, but in that time I was desperate, just like him, it's not excuse, but that happens.

Now I don't want to make him looks like a hero, or neither a good person, he is not, but I want to look at him for what he is, a human being, in a mess up situation, just like everyone else.

and maybe with this story that Esemori-Reiji theory is actually true, that would be hella weird lmao, first he come back, and his son fuck his actually wife? bruh...

Anyway if you come this far I'm so sorry for waste u time lol, I just was in the mood to write, and thanks for the translation!

It really got me seeing Gen so fucking desperate on that last panel. I loved this manga before, and with each chapter I'm just more into it, what a treat.
Thank you for the update!!

I dont know whats up with some comment. Why is it that when a man and man have emotions they are directly portrayed as gay? Cant they just really be good friends?

Dex-chan lover
@Ragnal

It's a tad annoying to me too, but I can't blame them. Japan has a fondness of mixing homoerotic undertones with male friendships. They're either freer with that sort of thing than the West or they're trying to attract certain demographics. In this case? I would definitely think Gen's obsession more than borders on romantic feelings, because straight men don't have that much attachment to another man. But then I consider what the story is like. Romance is almost non-existent in this story for anyone other than Chako. Everyone else is seeking something else, typically control. So while Gen might be gay. It's equally possible that his obsession stems from some other psychosis. The symbolism of wanting to keep the fireflies locked in bags (and suffocating them unintentionally) is obviously analogous to how Gen would eventually treat Reiji.

Users who are viewing this thread