• Ban Solo Leveling

Votes: 4,192 65.3%
  • Ban Isekai

Votes: 2,230 34.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so sad you guys are having money options. But I’m absolutely okay with you guys doing safe and invasive ads! I trust you guys to do so. As long as the ads aren’t on the same page as the manga/manhwa pictures. That’s my only request.

I hope this ad turns out successful and makes the website more affordable. And if it turns out really great maybe it could be a permanent thing!

I’ll keep an eye out for the ad and if I see it I’ll be sure to click it and download the app. I might end up liking it!

Thanks for being so polite and honest about things. I hope everyone continues to stay in good health. As good of health as you can get right now in 2020, I mean. And thanK you so much for creating such an amazing site! This is easily in my top 5 favorite websites. And definitely where I spend a fifth of my day. I don’t know what I’d do without it.

I wonder if it’s possible to add a feature that performs load balancing by restricting access to popular titles when the number of requests is excessive. Maybe you wouldn’t need to consider the load on your servers or network; a delay policy could help mitigate some usage spikes passively.

Here’s a quick example of a passive feature: Some features, such as search, are already restricted to logged-in users. What if you added a site delay policy, similar to the group delay policy, that limits access to the most popular titles? You could give recent supporters or MD@H hosts immediate access, allow logged-in users to view the chapters after a day, and open titles to all visitors after two days. Some might turn to other sites to view the more popular titles (or scan groups might upload them elsewhere as well as MangaDex) and this would limit the number of people viewing the chapter at one time. If this doesn’t work, maybe a random delay (by user) on each chapter of problematic titles would.

This isn’t a perfect solution, but it seems better than removing titles entirely (at the cost of complexity).

Can we ban both solo leveling and isekai please? Will reduce 90% of the traffic and it will be much easier to get good recommendations rather than the same manhwa/manhua with just different name for characters.

I also echo the comment above where I would prefer manga relevant / otaku related ads.

Chinese users are integral part of the community, but unfortunately there are a lot of dubious practice that many Chinese company make that are off putting (support suppression of freedom of speech, active self censorship...etc), which go against the spirit og MangaDex. Part of it is political reality and not their fault per se, but would hope MangaDex would steer away from those companies given the given poor track record.

Finally I am also open to the idea of using Patreon.

Thank you for the warning, and thanks for verifying the ad itself. If it were at all possible, one method of obtaining funding might be to add an "Ad Tab" in the directory. This would lead to a web page that is filled to the brim with non-pop-up ads. Then, if anyone wanted to support the server, they could click on that tab, and view the ads. Not everyone would want to do it, but it would provide a method for supporting the server to those who are not into crypto. Anyways, my dumb ideas aside, I see what must be done, and I acknowledge it so.

I actually used to play the Immortal Taoists game, and never suffered from any kind of malware because of it, in case anyone is concerned about that. I eventually stopped playing because I got bored, but it was really not a horrible game overall. Since I am not able to donate crypto, I'll make sure to uninstall the game so I can reinstall from the ads on this site. 😊
I would be sad to see either Solo Leveling or the Isekai genre go, since I'm one of those people who reads that stuff.(Although I'm more of the wait and binge type than the ones who wait and click the moment a chapter uploads) But if I had to pick, I'd choose to ban Solo Leveling since after all that's just one series.
Anyway, I trust whatever option you guys choose to go with.

Dex-chan lover
What about giving a limit on how many times a chapter can be viewed in an hourly manner? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Also why are sites like ko-fi, trakteer and gofundme out of the talks? Sorry if this one is more dumber.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Mr_hajir W-why do you want my identity
I animated this profile picture myself but I guess you can use it if you want
Shirogane_learns_Volleyball_2-3_screenshot.jpg

Contributor
Hey, hey, I've got a solution that works for everyone: Show ads. All ads. The crappiest ads you can find. But only on solo leveling and isekai title pages.
You're welcome.

MD@Home
I'd say that as long as they are sponsored deals it makes sense to have ads from time to time.

MD@Home
My main concern with this decision isn't the ads themselves, but the attack vector they create for those who'd want to take down the site and/or sue its maintainers. It's a real shame we couldn't avoid this.

Group Leader
Very nicely done mangadex team!
The thinking ahead, planning for the future and the testing of possibilities subjects all sound like they're solidly being managed.

Also I think I speak for many people here that we're okay with some ads, as long as they fit the general public and aren't in the viewer
(if possible of course only on the frontpage, but we can't have everything haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread