Clarification needed: What is Pub status referring to?

Is Publication status the status of the original language comic or the scanlated version? Because many ongoing scanlations are showing up as completed and it's making it hard to search for projects which have been completed scanlations. Is it possible to clarify that status, or to have two separate statuses for Pub. Status and Scan/ Rip Status?

Double-page supporter
Since when scanlation became publication?

About scan/rip stat - for what language? You know many many series translated to many languages...

@chimmi95 You already answered your own question: Published status means exactly that, "published". I don't think it leaves much room for confusion, imo.
Also, if the scanlation is all done, the final chapter uploaded will have an "END" (blue background) marker on it.

Group Leader
It will be useful to differentiate while searching between publication status and scanlation status -- if I want to find fully scanlated series, search will only give me series whose publication has ended but whose scanlation is still in progress. I like binging and I'm sure there are many other readers who are frustrated the same as me.

Differentiating between publication and scan/rip status is important and should be implemented, and it's a simple yes/no answer. I don't know anything about coding but this shouldn't be too hard to implement, right?

is a Reindeer
VIP
@war-ble Implementation isn't hard but the necessary manpower for it to be useful makes it unfeasible. It's not difficult for MU to track because they don't host the chapters. If we have something that's fully scanlated but we don't have the chapters because the group pulled out, it would be deceptive to say it's fully scanlated. We also need people to go through 30k+ entries to mark it between many different languages as well. Everything would basically be marked as ongoing, but then people will complain we don't show the chapter count in that language when it's set to ongoing, and that's another suggestion that's quite unfeasible with our current setup.

Group Leader
@Plykiya I'm no coder and I'm likely talking out of my ass... but in that case, wouldn't it make sense to create a sort of tag next to the name of groups that have pulled out so people know to look elsewhere for those series? And wouldn't it be possible to link scan/rip status with the "End" marker on final chapters so no manpower is needed whatsoever? If the marker exists, then the scan/rip status is complete. If not, still ongoing or not yet scanlated.

I apologize if this has all been considered and is not feasible, these are the random musings of an average reader.

Dex-chan lover
Would you have the "complete" tag be on a manga where the end is available but ~50 chapters in the middle were only translated by a group that pulled out and had the chapters removed? Or even in those situations where a group jumps to the end for the heck of it.

Even if you tried to have the same mechanism that catalogs missing chapters help, it still has no concept of fractional chapters or chapter number misalignments due to publishing errors/magazine changes

Group Leader
@MrIncognito Maybe set it up so that it detects sequential numbering, and if one or more numbers are missing then the "End" marker won't be added. Fractional chapters are extra omake or side stories that don't further the plot so they don't need to be considered.

Edit: I just realized this won't work for anthologies and the like, so... how about a semi-automatic system that detects and adds the "End" marker (or not) for all series. If it's not correct, the userbase can have the option to change the marker. Is something like that feasible?

Contributor
@war-ble
I made a suggestion close to this several months ago and was told "Not going to happen" which I agree with Teasday's Logic as to why even though I can envision some solutions that would not take as much work to keep up to date.

https://mangadex.org/thread/60414

Users who are viewing this thread