Dark Gathering - Vol. 13 Ch. 50 - Route 1 5: Human Realm

Dex-chan lover
I think what he means is when asura was shown dead but "oh wait! flash back time!" and he's fine because the author gave him a new ability.
Eh, I more consider that a style choice? Which is 100% arguable as to whether it works for someone or not, but ultimately all the ghost abilities are arbitrary, mainly it's reasonable to expect they fit a general theme. This one does work in that regard, Asura has a lot of "remote use of something else to fight with" modes, so taking that to the limit at the end where his core isn't even in the body anymore feels like a reasonable progression. The style part comes down to how those abilities are revealed: does the author lay them all out ahead of time to the reader, or leave us to discover it as a surprise during the course of a fight, at least for the first time? An again in total seriousness, can argue that either way. I think it's fair to say though that the majority of series do go with "you don't find out everything that someone can do until a fight where they need everything they can do". Which is realistic? I mean, look IRL, history is full of wars where one side or another debuted a new weapon that they worked hard to keep under wraps beforehand.
Sun Tzu said:
All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
And then the whole "to deceive your enemies you must first deceive your allies" or something to that effect. So the first time it doesn't strike me as a deus ex machina. In this case we did see them getting briefed but then weren't told what it was is all.

To me the bigger test will be (yes I'm aware RAWs are way ahead but haven't been reading them) once we're fully through all the "introductions": does the author keep inventing new stuff each time, or does the author find creative ways to make use of what is shown and surprise readers even when we know all the moves on the table? If existing powers just are constantly becoming "obsolete" that does get lame and isn't how stuff works, but I'm not going to hit any author too hard for this style of initial reveal.

Ch 26, page 32
Asura is shown to use illusions to trick Yayoi into thinking it's not a ghost.
Ch 27, page 26
Asura is capable of manifesting bunrei in the form of hands and the people who murdered him.

Dex-chan lover
of course, other ghosts have had it. but just because others have it doesn't mean we are to expect him to have it. If that were the case, why can't we expect asura to start chanting the death sutra that one monk uses, or use the butterflies that were used against him, or do any ability a previous ghost has done. Anything is possible with fiction, but for shit to matter it has to be grounded in some in-universe logic.
The asura locked eiko in a fake room to attack her, it was shown to be a ghost that uses bunrei to attack

Aggregator gang
it feels little by little telling the story keitaro curse even maybe eiko too :(
thinking again keitaro curse its from eiko

although,
Really interesting set of events. So for the first time, the three of them are going to have to deal with an "Authority", maybe (or maybe not) an official government agency but an actual group of adults who know what they're doing, have real history, and are clearly a lot more competent then it was first made to appear which is both an amusing twist by the author and pleasant to see. "Rando amateurs > incompetent authorities" gets overdone a lot.

A nice thing too is that a lot of the assumptions about the sacrifice being some eternal ancient thing were all wrong and what was really happening was a lot more sensible. The temple doesn't condemn anyone to eternal torment/fighting like some stereotypical heartless "greater good" type of thing, rather it's a 50-year term of "work beyond life" at a time and probably massively honored and such, then someone else takes over. Which probably helps the seal strength and stop the adversary from subverting as easily. Though I suppose that'd still require heavy faith that the organization would continue to exist and not be defeated and that someone new would always be found to take your spot. Here though they clearly got lax on verification and the head monk took the evil selfish way out.

Anyway, time for our team to face some authorities, it'll be very interesting to see how that goes. Both recklessness and competence have been demonstrated, they've won a real victory but not at no cost. Though at the same time if the seal was going to come undone anyway and it was the improper job that let them even notice, plus (I still think really stupid) lack of physical security, then the temple is still heavily to blame. I'm assuming an organization is going to be more conservative about just running around messing with stuff and kids having that kind of power, but author has done well balancing things so can't wait to find out what is planned next.
although considering that these "amateurs" actually killed this thing, while the best "authorities" could do is sealing this thing (and even that's done kinda half-assed), it's probably still "rando amateurs > incompetent authorities" after all, just with complications

Aggregator gang
although,

although considering that these "amateurs" actually killed this thing, while the best "authorities" could do is sealing this thing (and even that's done kinda half-assed), it's probably still "rando amateurs > incompetent authorities" after all, just with complications
Tbf if not because of seimei's shikigami, there's a chance yayoi gang wouldn't be able to finished the demon off. So i guess this victory is half belong to the "randos", and half belong to "authorities"

Dex-chan lover
God damn those monks are jacked af

of course, other ghosts have had it. but just because others have it doesn't mean we are to expect him to have it. If that were the case, why can't we expect asura to start chanting the death sutra that one monk uses, or use the butterflies that were used against him, or do any ability a previous ghost has done. Anything is possible with fiction, but for shit to matter it has to be grounded in some in-universe logic.
It is still within logic of the story tho?
Bunrei is something usable by every strong ghost, some choose to not utilize it for various reasons. Death Sutra, Butterfly, Sketchbook are special abilities, Bunrei isn't. So it is in line with expecting Dam ghost boy to utilize it negating its weakness. Also he used it previously, so why not again?

Dex-chan lover
They solved the problem of reaching immortality? When you die and your soul comes out, just repossess your old body? lol

Users who are viewing this thread