DDoS Attack Causing Slow Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
sooo , right now the question is , how long this dDos is gonna take ? , my possible theory is month , but if we got and track it down from the source , it could still be week ..

Edit : does anyone here know how to track one by one bounce IP ?

@421cookies. That is correct. It's entirely possible that the VPNs work because of the change in packet routing. Speaking off, I got bored and check out what I found..

Code:
Hop number:  5
Connected to:  et-0-0-43-3.cr2-was1.ip4.gtt.net ( 173.205.39.229 )
Roundtrip times:  4.421 ms
4.413 ms
4.363 ms

Hop number:  6
Connected to:  cloudflare-gw.cr4-was1.ip4.gtt.net ( 69.174.23.102 )
Roundtrip times:  29.329 ms
24.664 ms
24.579 ms

Hop number:  7
Connected to:  Mangadex.org
Roundtrip times:  2.006 ms
3.527 ms

The interesting part of my packet route, is the round trip times. Especially cloudflare at Hop 6.

yep , and currently from my analysis , the dDoser is using SEA server , and i dont know what other server is currently being used by the dDoser too

edit : currently we cant track the dDoser , cause it using multiple and thousands of IP including Proxy

Aggregator gang
is it just me or are the pages loading slightly faster right now. It is still slow but at least the page loading isn't as bad as it was a few hours ago. all the thumbnails are loading for me and it takes about a minute
and the mangas are working too, even though it takes like 2-3 mins to load each page.
PS: not using a vpn or any similar services.

I didn't think cloudflare was this bad at ddos mitigation. Also, anyway that captcha could be turned on until this gets resolved? Fast loads with an annoying "which squares have bicycles in them" is better than 3 minute page loads...

Double-page supporter
For me it's actually worse today than yesterday, now even the thumbnail images on the main page take ages to load...

Dex-chan lover
...I wonder if there are certain shady and unscrupulous manga hosting sites literally god damn covered and plastered in ads and pop-ups that is constantly losing readers/clicks because of their shitty behavior that just so coincidentally might enjoy a slight boost in traffic if something unfortunate like a DDoS attack were to happen to a good manga hosting site like Mangadex...

There are some where I wouldn't put it past them.

Supporter
so, what exactly IS the point of DDoS attacks? is is just to be a cunt of the lowest form and slow down the site, or is there some benefit the attacker gets out of it?

Multiple reasons.
Interfering with someone is one. Also being hired to shut someone down is another. Sometimes it's used as a threat for later.
Usually though it's just script kiddie punks or the likes of them who simply get lulz from it.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Epicredeemer
At this point, it's merely speculation (and I doubt we'll ever know the true identity of the attacker) but if I were to wager, it would be someone who has a grudge against MD or someone who stands to gain from diverting traffic from us.

The list of people who have grudges against MD but have the resources to pull off a DDoS attack is quite small. Whereas the list of our competitors, like Kissmanga, who might consider several hundred dollars a good investment if it diverts traffic for some time to their website, is a bit longer.

I don't understand about devices and else.
But if the possibility is proven, those who do it really have no work to do.

Dex-chan lover
Someone should write a manga about DDoS attacks. We need to gather together and give mangadex nakama power to win.

shieeeeet its still sluggish ;/
im not going to give up tho... its the best manga site TO DATE!

z1R

At this point, it's merely speculation (and I doubt we'll ever know the true identity of the attacker) but if I were to wager, it would be someone who has a grudge against MD or someone who stands to gain from diverting traffic from us.

The list of people who have grudges against MD but have the resources to pull off a DDoS attack is quite small. Whereas the list of our competitors, like Kissmanga, who might consider several hundred dollars a good investment if it diverts traffic for some time to their website, is a bit longer.

Kissmanga is down atm and has been lagging a lot too...

Dex-chan lover
@z1R
Kissmanga is down atm and has been lagging a lot too...

Once they got rid of their adblocker using visitors, which should have been most of them because the ads were unsafe, they probably figured they could scale down their server deals majorly to save money.

Or perhaps they got infected by their own ads. That would carry a sense of poetic justice.

Aggregator gang
I thought it was solved and instead I see that the site is still quite slow. :(
I do not understand those who make such attacks, in the end mangadex respects the teams that translate the manga and does not even put ads.
I understand sites like kissmanga for example but for mangadex I can not understand. :/

I thought it was solved and instead I see that the site is still quite slow. :(
I do not understand those who make such attacks, in the end mangadex respects the teams that translate the manga and does not even put ads.
I understand sites like kissmanga for example but for mangadex I can not understand. :/

I've seen that a ddos attack can last a week.
MD, a manga site with no ads. I can see how that would piss off sites like KM, who rely on ads.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
I have renamed this thread in an effort to keep people from creating multiple threads. Let's try to keep every comment regarding this in one thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread