Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro! - Vol. 18 Ch. 134 - Senpai!! H-How did it go!?

Dex-chan lover
naw its gonna be the gigachad "fuck the competition, we do it live" arc or they like date functionally for years before senpai confesses and everyone makes fun of him for stating the obvious

I'm glad they prefaced this with "You guys are over-complicating this" and MC responding "Yeah, I know." It was mostly something he was doing to motivate himself and it really seems to have worked. Foreshadows him getting over it, I think.

This chapter surprised me a bit, though. I thought there was a good chance he was going to get 2nd place but I didn't think he was gonna lose to one of the two dudes instead of angry goth loli. It's like he won and lost at the same time.

Dex-chan lover
Aihara.jpg

THIS MF?????
THIS YEE YEE BOWL CUT MF IS THE 1ST RANKER????
I dunno, making problems come out of the left field for the sake of plot twist like this doesn't strike me as good writing. Feels like something you'd expect from the Walking Dead's series writer :nyoron:

Aggregator gang
This was only day2 - oil painting. Didn't they do sketches on day1, maybe the score is cumulative and he won overall.

Supporter
For real, this entire arc of these morons putting arbitrary requirements to confess (Especially from Senpai's side, as I can understand Nagatoro a bit), have been a bore to read, to the point that I'm starting to consider if I should drop this or not, despite the fact that I've been following Nagatoro since 2012.

Senpai's mentality after CH109, reminds me of the confession in the manga Yancha Gal no Anjou-san, which happened roughly at the same time as CH109, in a similar situation of "One day, when I feel I'm ready, I'll confess"

The main difference is that in Anjou-San, the MC used his brain and went "Wait... one day? And when is that "One day"? And decided to confess at the spot, which spearheaded the manga into a much better territory.

But I guess it's unfair to compare them because Anjou-San is, IMO, a better written manga.
I don't think the two are really comparable. At that similar point, Hayase was still alternating between the two poles of her personality while the character you compared her to had dropped all pretense and made herself emotionally available and vulnerable. (And openly thirsty.)

Dex-chan lover
I don't think the two are really comparable. At that similar point, Hayase was still alternating between the two poles of her personality while the character you compared her to had dropped all pretense and made herself emotionally available and vulnerable. (And openly thirsty.)
I would agree. At its core, Nagatoro is a romantic comedy set with coming of age HS students, whereas Anjou-san is a romantic coming of age story that incorporates a decent amount of comedy. It seems like a small distinction, as both deal with heavier issues in a variety of ways, but it is a significant difference. Another way of looking at it, you could not successfully transpose the characters, there are plenty of similarities, with (relatively) a "common destination" (to a certain point), but in reality very different interpretations. Both are done extremely well, Nagatoro feels a little "younger" and "lighter" to me usually, and Anjou-san employs it's supporting cast very differently.

Your point about Hayase v. Anna is spot on, if not in motivation, but absolutely in method. One is relatively circumspect and subtle, and the other rapidly abandons pretense. Ironically the reason either series can take as long to get to "the point" is the insecurity and oblivious nature of the male leads. Cliche? Of course, but both do it exceptionally well.

Dex-chan lover
He's one of the other "big" painters at the art school, literally in this chapter telling Hachiouji to confess.

As ever, thank you for scanlating.
Oh he’s one of those 2 guys? Lmao I thought Paisen and Machida are the best, meanwhile Aihara is sitting next to them smiling and enjoying the battle planning to win like some secret hidden boss! Well at least he is above machida so the mission is complete

Dex-chan lover
Oh he’s one of those 2 guys? Lmao I thought Paisen and Machida are the best, meanwhile Aihara is sitting next to them smiling and enjoying the battle planning to win like some secret hidden boss! Well at least he is above machida so the mission is complete
Ah, pretty sure Machida, Aihara and Hashimoto (emo/rocker looking student) were called the triumvirate before Hachiouji's arrival (which I only remember from the triumvirate of evil from the 40s). A detail that was provided, but excellently camouflaged, leading us to all think Machida was the only challenge. But it was all laid out there for us. I'd dig up chapter references, but its late.

Dex-chan lover
Wouldn't it turn out sweet if Aihara uses this opportunity to confess to Machida? Lol.

Ah, pretty sure Machida, Aihara and Hashimoto (emo/rocker looking student) were called the triumvirate before Hachiouji's arrival (which I only remember from the triumvirate of evil from the 40s). A detail that was provided, but excellently camouflaged, leading us to all think Machida was the only challenge. But it was all laid out there for us. I'd dig up chapter references, but its late.
I don't get how anyone could forget that detail, since it was brought up multiple times. Maybe because she was positioned as antagonist specifically because of the opposing mentality, for a time, which drew their minds away from that fact?

Dex-chan lover
Wouldn't it turn out sweet if Aihara uses this opportunity to confess to Machida? Lol.

I don't get how anyone could forget that detail, since it was brought up multiple times. Maybe because she was positioned as antagonist specifically because of the opposing mentality, for a time, which drew their minds away from that fact?
It's misdirection using parallels, Nagatoro is focused on Orihara, Hachiouji on Machida; Hayase's single minded focus spills over to Hachiouji. The writing conditions you to view it as one on one battles, while still explicitly setting the stage as anything but, in both cases. It's very good writing, if executed properly, and a trick that's hard to pull off twice, so the timing of using it matters. For example, if the same thing happens to Hayase, theres little to no "shock value", and later down the storyline, readers would remember if a similar situation crops up. It was very well done, in both content and timing.

Dex-chan lover
It's misdirection using parallels, Nagatoro is focused on Orihara, Hachiouji on Machida; Hayase's single minded focus spills over to Hachiouji. The writing conditions you to view it as one on one battles, while still explicitly setting the stage as anything but, in both cases. It's very good writing, if executed properly, and a trick that's hard to pull off twice, so the timing of using it matters. For example, if the same thing happens to Hayase, theres little to no "shock value", and later down the storyline, readers would remember if a similar situation crops up. It was very well done, in both content and timing.
While I agree that it is, that relies on the reader having the memory of a goldfish, which, well... fair enough, it seems, going by how many people completely forgot that it's a multi-part event that he needs to get first place overall in, not each individual section.

Dex-chan lover
While I agree that it is, that relies on the reader having the memory of a goldfish, which, well... fair enough, it seems, going by how many people completely forgot that it's a multi-part event that he needs to get first place overall in, not each individual section.
Much like Hayase and Orihara have to beat literally everyone else in their brackets to face each other. But, not placing first in one section obviously makes it harder. Plenty of thematic options, which is all to the good, keeps interest high when there's a good amount of "positive" unknowns, and makes for a better story; minimize "bad/dumb" route possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread