Dorei kara no Kitai to Hyouka no sei de Sakushu dekinai no daga - Ch. 10

Dex-chan lover
are you sure you not mistaken what you call AI with MTL?

even if the two is different i think both result still pretty messy in the end. so looking at how good the grammar each page mean you ended up fixed most of it so i think it all good.

also that Neku and the note, Neku is the name.
t
though in previous chapter she called Nek (in kanji it read Neku after all)

Fed-Kun's army
Thank you for your efforts, no matter how you did it. I'm glad to see a new chapter of this so soon after the other groups announcement.

Dex-chan lover
She can undock her spider legs, what good deal. Two sisters but 4 ways to enjoy

Group Leader
Putting the debate about the morality of using ai aside, the translation and type setting is amazing and I wouldn't have ever guessed ai useage if you didn't mention it. (Take this with a grain of salt though as I'm a professional hot trash eater)
Someone using MTL who's fluent in the destination language (English in this case) and can make intelligent decisions on how the MTL f@#$ed up (MTL is very predictable in how it mangles Japanese to English!) and can edit it into decent shape almost always produces a better result than someone translating into a language they're not fluent in. Not as good as someone fluent in both, you lose 5-10% of the meaning.

But basically, anyone who admits they're using MTL usually produces a much better result than the crappy paid scanslation groups where they're not fluent in either Japanese or English, and don't tell you they're using MTL, but you can tell.

Double-page supporter
Thanks for picking this up. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Dex-chan lover
d84.jpg

Allen really be like

Group Leader
@Shantsu This is a great job for your first attempt, just some suggestions on your typesetting. Keep in mind I am NOT a top tier typesetter, this is just stuff that I as a mediocre typesetter (on Late Marrying Fox) noticed. And this is not to poop on you or say you suck! We all went through learning.

So these are the heuristics I use, most of which you did great.
  • Not really TS, but you might want to convert your images to greyscale for smaller files, avoid some color things that can happen.
  • Always try to center your text in the container. You did great.
  • Be consistent with your fonts and sizes, only use different fonts and sizes where the manga did or where you have to reduce it to make it fit. Do not make it larger just to fill the contianer. You did this great.
  • Never rotate text 90 degrees right unless it's for sidebar text or where editorial added a text bar or had it tilted (like on page 1). I think you were fine here.
    • If the bubble is very skinny and the text is short or an SFX, you can do vertical text by adding a manual line break after each letter. That was not an issue here.
  • Add white outline to your black text, especially sfx, where it crosses black or dark areas (and vice versa for white text). You did great here, though the tiny ones on page 5 maybe could have used another pixel width of white.
  • The best shape for your text is the shape of the container! It makes it much easier to read.
    • If it's a box, try for a box shape. If it's a bubble try for a bubble shape.
    • A bubble shape can work in a box if you can't do a box shape.
    • Avoid an hourglass shape where you have wide lines then skinny lines then wide lines. Of course you can't always do that, sometimes slight hourglass shape is unavoidable. But use the Enter key aggressively to add manual line breaks, and hyphenate words to avoid the hourglass shape.
      • If you hyphenate, try not to hyphenate any given word more than once.
      • Some people will tell you to never hyphenate, but I think it's less ugly than the hourglass and the best TSes I know do hyphenate.
      • Do not hyphenate randomly! Hyphenate only where grammatically correct (I use https://www.hyphenator.net/ if unsure) or turn hyphenation on in Photoshop.
      • Always leave the '-' on the top line. i.e. 'seri-' 'ously', not 'seri' '-ously'.
    • Obviously you can't always do it perfectly, but you can usually make the shape much more balanced.
  • Avoid orphan punctuation (? . !) that should be on the previous line, like 'friend' '?' You did great.
  • Try to keep text away from the edges of the bubbles.
    • If you just can't make it fit, having the text go out of the sides of the bubble with a white stroke outline is better than rotating the text 90 degrees sideways.
Some very quick examples from page 16, original on the left, modified on the right. On top adding a line break keeps the words away from the edges, and it just looks a little more balanced. On bottom, showing how just adding a line break between "what's" and "the" makes everything much nicer. If you were purposely adding line breaks to keep the duty!? pity!? or is it on separate lines to separate them as breaks in the train of thought, then that would at least have fixed the worst hourglass in the first sentence. (I am using a similar font because I don't know exactly which one you used, but it would still work like this).
1722467130295.png

Again, I am in no way a great TS, and you did a great job for your first time, but you did ask for feedback, so here you go!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Uhhhh... calling it now. This guy will keep expanding his harem but will not even get with ANY of them, what with him being a complete moron. :facepalm: The end of this manga is likely him reaching an incredibly old age, treated like some legendary sage by all the girls around him.

He'll be smiling from the praises and care they lavish him, but inside, a clown was weeping in despair that his life is about to end but he still hasn't experienced any romantic encounters... all this, self inflicted. Cause he's a dumbass:shamihuh:

Huh. Wouldn't have known this was by AI if it wasn't mentioned... there's a few things to improve this, but overall, good job!(y)

Dex-chan lover
Seems like a pretty bang up job for what you've done.

My only question on the translation front from having to use MTL to read webnovels among other things. On page 15, second bubble you have
"Huh??? Did your standing just go up or something?"
Was this meant to be 'Your' instead of 'My', closer to 'Your Standing of me', or as is?

Group Leader
Translator, ya fucked up! This is obviously meant to be a reference to Magikarps most intimidating move "splash". Though I think it was "hop" in japanese.
bj1sfa.png

Sadly, I no longer see the 10 hour version of the second video.
Other than this one serous oversite, you did fine.
Oh i see... I was pretty confuse on this part... Sorry2

Group Leader
Thanks for picking this up. The quality is actually great. If you plan on continuing that'd be cool, as Flame Scans wants to drop it
I'd be picking this up till a new group arrives to do this

Group Leader
@Shantsu This is a great job for your first attempt, just some suggestions on your typesetting. Keep in mind I am NOT a top tier typesetter, this is just stuff that I as a mediocre typesetter (on Late Marrying Fox) noticed. And this is not to poop on you or say you suck! We all went through learning.

So these are the heuristics I use, most of which you did great.
  • Not really TS, but you might want to convert your images to greyscale for smaller files, avoid some color things that can happen.
  • Always try to center your text in the container. You did great.
  • Be consistent with your fonts and sizes, only use different fonts and sizes where the manga did or where you have to reduce it to make it fit. Do not make it larger just to fill the contianer. You did this great.
  • Never rotate text 90 degrees right unless it's for sidebar text or where editorial added a text bar or had it tilted (like on page 1). I think you were fine here.
    • If the bubble is very skinny and the text is short or an SFX, you can do vertical text by adding a manual line break after each letter. That was not an issue here.
  • Add white outline to your black text, especially sfx, where it crosses black or dark areas (and vice versa for white text). You did great here, though the tiny ones on page 5 maybe could have used another pixel width of white.
  • The best shape for your text is the shape of the container! It makes it much easier to read.
    • If it's a box, try for a box shape. If it's a bubble try for a bubble shape.
    • A bubble shape can work in a box if you can't do a box shape.
    • Avoid an hourglass shape where you have wide lines then skinny lines then wide lines. Of course you can't always do that, sometimes slight hourglass shape is unavoidable. But use the Enter key aggressively to add manual line breaks, and hyphenate words to avoid the hourglass shape.
      • If you hyphenate, try not to hyphenate any given word more than once.
      • Some people will tell you to never hyphenate, but I think it's less ugly than the hourglass and the best TSes I know do hyphenate.
      • Do not hyphenate randomly! Hyphenate only where grammatically correct (I use https://www.hyphenator.net/ if unsure) or turn hyphenation on in Photoshop.
      • Always leave the '-' on the top line. i.e. 'seri-' 'ously', not 'seri' '-ously'.
    • Obviously you can't always do it perfectly, but you can usually make the shape much more balanced.
  • Avoid orphan punctuation (? . !) that should be on the previous line, like 'friend' '?' You did great.
  • Try to keep text away from the edges of the bubbles.
    • If you just can't make it fit, having the text go out of the sides of the bubble with a white stroke outline is better than rotating the text 90 degrees sideways.
Some very quick examples from page 16, original on the left, modified on the right. On top adding a line break keeps the words away from the edges, and it just looks a little more balanced. On bottom, showing how just adding a line break between "what's" and "the" makes everything much nicer. If you were purposely adding line breaks to keep the duty!? pity!? or is it on separate lines to separate them as breaks in the train of thought, then that would at least have fixed the worst hourglass in the first sentence. (I am using a similar font because I don't know exactly which one you used, but it would still work like this).
View attachment 5512

Again, I am in no way a great TS, and you did a great job for your first time, but you did ask for feedback, so here you go!
Thanks for the feedback! Thanks to this I've learn a lot. Btw what font are you using on the last panel?

Users who are viewing this thread