Dosanko Gal wa Namaramenkoi - Vol. 5 Ch. 47

@tfwnosuccubusgf I really liked this manga when it was just about Tsubasa and Fuyuki being adorable together. It's just getting more and more cliché harem-esque every chapter sadly

Dex-chan lover
This manga was so good, but it's really gone down the shitter. Such a damn shame.

At this point the cover doesn't make sense anymore since everything important is taking action in Tokyo. Hope that this drama arc ends soon and that we actually go back to hokkaido.

Dex-chan lover
I used to love this manga. When it was just Tsubasa hanging around with the various girls and having fun learning about Hokkaido or just experiencing a life he never knew because he was so serious and such a shut-in and all that, it was fun.

But now it's nothing but this stupid relationship drama. Drama between the girls because they all like him Drama for him because he doesn't know what to do with himself. Drama with his now-introduced mother because she's going to be the domineering/controlling parent and railroad her son to unhappiness out of a sense of familial duty and "I know better" (which admittedly is always going to go down worse with this audience than its native one because of socio-cultural differences surrounding this sort of thing). And to top it off we've introduced more girls who seem to have no real value to anything here except to orbit this nonsense that's going on and either steer it or provide outsider insight. Or just stall. This chapter is a good example of the latter because the previous one ended with glasses girl (whose name I can't even remember) asking Fuyuki and Sayuri if they want to know who Tsubasa likes. And then it turns out that he doesn't even admit to specifically liking anyone, just that he likes someone, which we already had to suspect, but won't act on it because of contrived drama reasons.

I love Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa/My Monster Secret. You know why? Because even though it has the subplot of multiple girls going after the MC in a harem-ish sort of way, that's secondary. He likes the fMC, she likes him. They're both giant idiots who don't realize the attraction is mutual and the real endgame for a long time, but we don't get chapters of him waffling over whether to pick the girl he likes, the childhood friend, the sexy newcomer, or the girl he used to have a crush on. He stays focused on one target the whole way through and, most importantly, they get together like halfway through the series. Because that's the other thing: romantic comedies can survive the couple getting together if the stuff the couple does before and after is entertaining in its own right. And this would've been, had it not ahd the harem junk turn into a cancerous growth that strangled every other bit of the story out of existence. Fuyuki and Tsubasa were fun together just doing stuff. As he was with the other girls too. But now that they've built it up to the point that the competitive harem aspect has consumed the entire plot, they can't even resolve that and continue cleanly anymore because there's almost nothing else about the story that matters anymore. So once that' gone, it's going to be empty and probably have to end.

We're getting to the point that Mangaplus is almost caught up to the scanlations. I don't recall if Alien Scans ever said they were stopping when MangaPlus caught up? But if they are, that's probably as good a jumping off point as any for anyone who's tired of what's happened. And I can see that happening. Because jesus, way to ruin a good thing, author. I can't remember another manga where I've gone from enjoying it so much to half-heartedly just clicking through the pages to see if there are any signs we're going to dig out of this miles-deep rut it's stuck in before it falls apart completely.

@Darkshade13
Hard agree here. Every single new chapter got me more disappointed but I never really considered why. You put it in exact words man 👍

good old days where the only problem was just how cold hokkaido was

Double-page supporter
We went from Hokkaido travel agency propaganda + standard boring harem plot to standard boring harem plot. I hate that i'm a slave to the sunk cost fallacy.

@Darkshade13 You coined the whole experience perfectly. When the series first started getting scanlated and was still in the barely 15 chapters phase it was fun to read and there was some sense of enjoyment when you would see a new chapter that got uploaded and you would read through it. Midway through what we have currently in terms of chapter numbers, it started feeling less and less like that series that we enjoyed. It gained a soap opera feeling with needless things thrown about that had no substance and/or progression to the characters interactions. Reading the recent chapters just feels like a chore, the chapters always leave you bored after finishing reading them and you get sort of blue balled in terms of cliff hangers. It's like you said, the glasses girl at the end of ch. 46 was saying that she was gonna tell the others of whom tsubasa likes when in reality all that she knows is that he just has someone he likes, not anyone in particular, just someone.

Going along with the recent chapters, everything feels needlessly stretched thin. What I mean when I say that is, that the oomph that you got when reading the earlier chapters and the characters interactions had a rhyme and reason that went with the theme and style of the manga and it's sort of gone now. There's now all the substance that is left is the drama between the girls, the character interactions and new experiences that were sought after in the earlier chapters aren't really present anymore. It's kinda sad seeing a manga you've kept up with for a year plus go down this type of monotone path that you see some other manga series go down.

The enjoyment of reading new chapters and seeing the nice interactions between the small amount of characters in small 'ol Hokkaido is gone and now replaced by a hollow feeling of reading through new chapters whenever they come out, almost out of obligation since you feel like that even though it's going this way you feel like you have to at least finish it.

Users who are viewing this thread